Compare WUSTL with GWU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Anacreon

Compare WUSTL with GWU?

Postby Anacreon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:04 pm

My only goal is to secure a private sector job or clerkship. Or a nicely paid government job. Oh, and I don't want to end up in a small town.

But enough about me. Compare the schools. Help me decide which would be better suited for my interests.

thexfactor

Re: Compare WUSTL with GWU?

Postby thexfactor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Anacreon wrote:My only goal is to secure a private sector job or clerkship. Or a nicely paid government job. Oh, and I don't want to end up in a small town.

But enough about me. Compare the schools. Help me decide which would be better suited for my interests.

go to GWU. WUSTL and GWU are very similar. wustl is more midwest and GWU is more east coast and DC.
Since you want gov and dont want to end up in a small town, I would choose GWU.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

thexfactor wrote:
Anacreon wrote:My only goal is to secure a private sector job or clerkship. Or a nicely paid government job. Oh, and I don't want to end up in a small town.

go to GWU. WUSTL and GWU are very similar. wustl is more midwest and GWU is more east coast and DC.
Since you want gov and dont want to end up in a small town, I would choose GWU.

It's not that I *want* government, it's that I'd rather have that than do PI or "shitlaw". I don't plan on being at the bottom of my class. Just median.

Anyway, have you visited GWU? I know you're a Wustl'er. If so, what can you tell me about the life at both schools?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:25 pm

ya ive been to GWU before.

Fun factor: DC by a lot. DC has a lot more things to do. Foggy bottom is a really nice area with cool bars. It is easier to get around DC. You can get around without a car. You really need a car to get around STL. STL has the central west end and that s about it..... Del Mar street by campus is pretty nice too.

Safety: DC by a little. I occasionally get crime alerts every month or so about holdups or robberies of apartments close to where I live and I live pretty close to the school. My GF's friend has actually seen someone get shot about 2 miles north of the school...... east st louis is always near by if you are looking for a thrill.... DC's south east side is dangerous, but foggy bottom is really safe.

COST: WUSTL by a lot. Much cheaper to live in STL. No explanation needed...2BR apartment next to school is 800 dollars a month.....

Placement: about the same/GWU by a little because DC. I read on a lot of forums saying that GWU get more interviews, but less callbacks. They tend to stop by because GULC is close by. WUSTL is in the middle of no where. We tend to get less interviews, but slightly higher quality list. Wustl does well in the midwest. GWU does well in DC. The edge goes to GWU because STL has a much smaller market than DC. However, GWU is 2nd best behind about 500 georgetown students.

Since GWU is in DC, it is eaiser for you to network and get DC gov jobs. However, both schools you need at least top 1/3 to have a decent shot at a good gov position.

Lol... no one "plans" on being at the bottom of their class. You are screwed at both places if you are below median.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:29 pm

thexfactor wrote:ya ive been to GWU before.

Fun factor: DC by a lot. DC has a lot more things to do. Foggy bottom is a really nice area with cool bars. It is easier to get around DC. You can get around without a car. You really need a car to get around STL. STL has the central west end and that s about it..... Del Mar street by campus is pretty nice too.

Safety: DC by a little. I occasionally get crime alerts every month or so about holdups or robberies of apartments close to where I live and I live pretty close to the school. My GF's friend has actually seen someone get shot about 2 miles north of the school...... east st louis is always near by if you are looking for a thrill.... DC's south east side is dangerous, but foggy bottom is really safe.

COST: WUSTL by a lot. Much cheaper to live in STL. No explanation needed...2BR apartment next to school is 800 dollars a month.....

Placement: about the same/GWU by a little because DC. I read on a lot of forums saying that GWU get more interviews, but less callbacks. They tend to stop by because GULC is close by. WUSTL is in the middle of no where. We tend to get less interviews, but slightly higher quality list. Wustl does well in the midwest. GWU does well in DC. The edge goes to GWU because STL has a much smaller market than DC. However, GWU is 2nd best behind about 500 georgetown students.

Since GWU is in DC, it is eaiser for you to network and get DC gov jobs. However, both schools you need at least top 1/3 to have a decent shot at a good gov position.

Lol... no one "plans" on being at the bottom of their class. You are screwed at both places if you are below median.

I'm assuming with my split #s WUSTL will give me some $ (2.9x/171) but GWU won't give me a thing...maybe not even an admission. This is really just thinking about the future since I'm applying next cycle.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Anacreon wrote:

I'm assuming with my split #s WUSTL will give me some $ (2.9x/171) but GWU won't give me a thing...maybe not even an admission. This is really just thinking about the future since I'm applying next cycle.

Id try for vandy or higher... I think Northwestern loves splitters. There isa huge diff between vandy and wustl/gwu.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:46 pm

thexfactor wrote:
Anacreon wrote:

Id try for vandy or higher... I think Northwestern loves splitters. There isa huge diff between vandy and wustl/gwu.

LOL @ Vandy admitting my sub-3.0 ass. :-(

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:23 am

Friendly bump

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

My take:

WUSTL will be cheaper due to COL and scholarship money, but the STL market's pretty much shut off from outsiders so that's a definite negative if you don't have ties of some sort. I'd venture to say Big/midlaw placement's probably about identical for the average law school applicant; I'll bet that most of the difference in NLJ placement can be attributed to the fact that IPSecure kids flock to GW. WUSTL's cheaper (COL, $, and tuition) so you'll be slightly less effed if you enter the job hunt in no man's land GPA-wise at WUSTL, but GW would probably make it easier to network your way into a job or whatever and has a larger (though still very, very rough from all accounts) home market in DC.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 am

Well, WUSTL is without a doubt the strongest school in it's immediate surroundings so that might help you there. I think the real question whether you want to live in the midwest or the mid-atlantic. I don't think either would force you to a small town though.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Well, WUSTL is without a doubt the strongest school in it's immediate surroundings so that might help you there. I think the real question whether you want to live in the midwest or the mid-atlantic. I don't think either would force you to a small town though.

I just don't want to work in Kansas City or Indianapolis but at the same time I don't want a 60k/yr D.C. government job.

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Anacreon wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Well, WUSTL is without a doubt the strongest school in it's immediate surroundings so that might help you there. I think the real question whether you want to live in the midwest or the mid-atlantic. I don't think either would force you to a small town though.

I just don't want to work in Kansas City or Indianapolis but at the same time I don't want a 60k/yr D.C. government job.

Ummm, that's a solid gig for new attorneys ITE. Even if you're smart, driven, and go to T14/GW the situation you mentioned is a distinct possibility.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 pm

androstan wrote:
Anacreon wrote:

Ummm, that's a solid gig for new attorneys ITE. Even if you're smart, driven, and go to T14/GW the situation you mentioned is a distinct possibility.

ok, strong language...that wouldn't be my first choice of jobs but I wouldn't complain about it

Back on topic....

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Anacreon wrote:It's not that I *want* government, it's that I'd rather have that than do PI or "shitlaw".

The good news is that you will never "have" to do PI work in D.C. The bad news is that its because PI jobs are so scarce and competitive ITE that they're probably going to be out of reach for you unless you go for it specifically, starting as a 2L if not before.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”