William and Mary vs. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Re: William and Mary vs. NYU

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:31 pm

heyman wrote:
Problem with this is that we would only get LRAP for the IBR payment which is like nothing and would make the loan go on forever.

If you stay in PI, your loan will be forgiven. If not, your wife will be making enough to pay more/faster after she finishes residency.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Really, the best idea here is to sit down with your wife and calculate all the numbers you need for IBR and each school's LRAP. Figure out your total debt, her total debt, your expected salary, her expected salary during residency, her expected salary after residency, etc. For instance, that stipulation of not having a net value of over $20,000 at NYU could become a pretty large obstacle.

I would guess that the difference between the three won't be incredibly large. But compare UVA, W&M, and NYU and see which one comes out best.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:47 pm

RPK34 wrote:Really, the best idea here is to sit down with your wife and calculate all the numbers you need for IBR and each school's LRAP. Figure out your total debt, her total debt, your expected salary, her expected salary during residency, her expected salary after residency, etc. For instance, that stipulation of not having a net value of over $20,000 at NYU could become a pretty large obstacle.

I would guess that the difference between the three won't be incredibly large. But compare UVA, W&M, and NYU and see which one comes out best.

I guess the factor that is unknown, and that would make this calculation challenging, is the risk of not getting the desired job that accompanies attending any of three schools. I would put the risk of not getting it significantly higher from W&M than the other two, but it's hard to really know.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 pm

1) Get Divorce
2) Stay together
3) Go nyu and lrap
4) Get remarried in 13 years
5) ???
6) Profit

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:57 pm

From what I discussed with you guys..NYU seems the best option. The LRAP I would receive for the first four years is much larger than at UVA (which I haven't even been accepted to yet).

Furthermore, I agree that NYU will allow me much greater mobility as I likely do not want to stay in VA.

Lastly, the benefit of being more likely to get a job out of NYU.

After 4 years of getting significant (probably over $10,000/year) LRAP money, this will definitely help pay off the rest of the loan as my wife will have a higher salary after these 4 years.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:00 pm

W&M is giving a great amount of money and is SIGNIFICANTLY decreasing any debt I would have to pay...but in the end I guess that security is not worth possibly not getting a job!

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Repost this question after both you and your wife hear back from all of the schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”