William and Mary vs. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
heyman

William and Mary vs. NYU

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Keep in Mind I plan on going into Public Defense.

W&M is offering me $15,000/year which leaves only a tuition of $9,000/year. (Rank of 28)

NYU is offering me nothing but is well-known for its public interest. I would pay tuition of $47,000/year. (Rank 6)

I understand rank makes a huge difference when getting jobs and getting jobs for lawyers is tough lately, but is it really worth taking on that much more debt if I plan on going into public defense?

Extra info: My wife post-law school is going to be a Doctor and will not have any debt from her schooling.

BlueDiamond

Re: William and Mary vs. NYU

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 pm

NYU

spondee

Postby spondee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Where is your wife going to school?

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm

As of now UVA is her best acceptance. She has an interview with Johns Hopkins (Rank 3) and Emory coming up.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:NYU

Why?

spondee

Postby spondee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:46 pm

I asked because if either of your careers will lead you away from the Maryland/Virginia area, NYU will offer far, far more mobility.

sven

Postby sven » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:47 pm

heyman wrote:

Why?

LRAP. http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... rsity.html

this one's easy. enjoy nyc.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Very true..thanks for the advice. --To Spondee

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Shouldn't this thread be UVA vs. NYU? OP, are you still waiting on UVA?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:49 pm

sven wrote:
heyman wrote:

Why?

+1 for real op.

hokie

Postby hokie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:50 pm

uh..........definitely NYU.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm

thecilent wrote:
sven wrote:
heyman wrote:

Why?

+1 for real op.

LRAP is not going to be in play because OP's wife is going to be a doctor.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:Shouldn't this thread be UVA vs. NYU? OP, are you still waiting on UVA?

Yes still waiting on UVA.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Exactly...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm

heyman wrote:

Exactly...

I'd go with your wife's choice over yours since her career is more of a guarantee for you guys over yours. If she is set on UVa, write a LOCI to UVa explaining your situation. If you can get into NYU, I am sure you can get in UVa as long as they understand why you want to go there.

Penn?

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
heyman wrote:

I'd go with your wife's choice over yours since her career is more of a guarantee for you guys over yours. If she is set on UVa, write a LOCI to UVa explaining your situation. If you can get into NYU, I am sure you can get in UVa as long as they understand why you want to go there.

Penn?

I see that, but the same amount of debt problem would come into play. Going to William and Mary would be close to UVA anyway, so location for us is not a huge problem. We are willing to go to different schools, depending on what is the best decision.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Oh I guess that changes things. But still, she has about what 8 years or so before she makes any money. And even at that point, you might still be in the bracket of paying only 50% back for a few years

Or maybe I'm wrong idk

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:01 pm

heyman wrote:I see that, but the same amount of debt problem would come into play. Going to William and Mary would be close to UVA anyway, so location for us is not a huge problem. We are willing to go to different schools, depending on what is the best decision.

UVA is probably the right answer. Your wife wont make a lot of money for quite a few years as a doctor, so you'd get UVA's LRAP (assuming you become a PD). PD jobs are pretty competitive, actually. Your chances of landing in a good office are way better from UVA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:02 pm

heyman wrote:
I see that, but the same amount of debt problem would come into play. Going to William and Mary would be close to UVA anyway, so location for us is not a huge problem. We are willing to go to different schools, depending on what is the best decision.

When I was looking at schools last year, I was ok with doing a partial commute where I would come home every weekend. But the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't do it. So after a year (I am reapplying), that idea is out of my head, I would pay extra to move us and stay together. It's obviously your choice if you attend two different schools, but I don't think it's really worth the savings especially if you both have high income potentials. We have kids though so that may be the difference.

You can still probably get some $$ out of UVa. Doesn't hurt to try.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
heyman wrote:I see that, but the same amount of debt problem would come into play. Going to William and Mary would be close to UVA anyway, so location for us is not a huge problem. We are willing to go to different schools, depending on what is the best decision.

UVA is probably the right answer. Your wife wont make a lot of money for quite a few years as a doctor, so you'd get UVA's LRAP (assuming you become a PD). PD jobs are pretty competitive, actually. Your chances of landing in a good office are way better from UVA.

How much spousal input do they compute from UVa? Even if his wife is not making big money, 2 incomes will probably still ensure you won't get the max benefit.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

I see what you guys mean. With her resident's salary we'll still get LRAP benefits for those 3 years.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:

How much spousal input do they compute from UVa? Even if his wife is not making big money, 2 incomes will probably still ensure you won't get the max benefit.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... ginia.html

Looks like the calculation is your income plus spouse's income (minus educational loan payments) divided by two.

Edit: As long as she isn't making more than he is as a PD, they will likely get full LRAP.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:

Looks like the calculation is your income plus spouse's income (minus educational loan payments) divided by two.

Edit: As long as she isn't making more than he is as a PD, they will likely get full LRAP.

That's pretty decent. I vote UVa then.

heyman

Postby heyman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Problem with this is that we would only get LRAP for the IBR payment which is like nothing and would make the loan go on forever.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:30 pm

heyman wrote:Problem with this is that we would only get LRAP for the IBR payment which is like nothing and would make the loan go on forever.

My understanding is that if you participate in IBR for 10 years in a PI or government job your loans are forgiven.

Edit: Here is information on IBR and other federal loan repayment plans: http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml
Last edited by Nogameisfair on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”