NU or Penn - humor me?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Both sticker: Which would you choose?

Northwestern
40%
Penn
60%

Total votes: 60

Upton Sinclair

NU or Penn - humor me?

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Quick background: I initially applied ED to Northwestern because I thought it was my best shot at the T14 outside of Cornell (with 2 years WE), and also because I'm a life-long midwesterner and I love Chicago. My application was put on hold in December. Now, here's where you say, "You haven't gotten in/probably won't get in so why is this even a question?" I'll explain, but for now just humor me. On Friday, I got accepted to Penn, which is the highest ranked school I applied to and a major surprise considering my W/L's at Vandy, GULC, UVA, etc. Assuming this isn't an administrative error or something, Penn is now on the table.

The reason for the thread is I want try to determine whether or not I should still put the full court press on NU to try to get an acceptance, as I had originally planned (LOCI's, campus visit, etc.). I hate playing the hypothetical game, but I'm really interested in everyone's opinion. So for the sake of discussion, let's say NU decides to let me in (huge IF, but still). Which would you choose, and why, with the following in mind:

1. Both schools at sticker
2. Interested in tax or securities law (could change)
3. A great job is far more important than location (but I would choose Chicago over NYC or DC, all things equal)
4. No major ties to either city/market
5. Have a few friends and other contacts in Chicago. Best friend lives in Philly.

Please explain your votes. Thanks in advance for your opinions/thoughts/advice.

paulinaporizkova

Re: NU or Penn - humor me?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm

shit, i voted for penn before i read that you wanted to work in chi. if you get in to northwestern i would definitely go there, because of the chi thing.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:58 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:shit, i voted for penn before i read that you wanted to work in chi. if you get in to northwestern i would definitely go there, because of the chi thing.

You can revote. The thing is I would prefer Chi if given the choice, but it's not like I desperately WANT Chi.

modmx

Postby modmx » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 pm

I would take NU. Even with your preference for Chicago aside, I feel like NU gives you a more complete package. Better city, better campus/environment, better school sports + nightlife = better social life, and I have family in both top Chicago schools and the NU side is ALOT more satisfied and happy than the U of Chi. Note: these are subjective opinions, so no pressure to agree

Not to take anything away from Penn, I'm actually banking and praying for an acceptance, but NU just gives you all you want plus the bonus. I didn't bother applying because of my lack of full time WE but I would deff take NU over Penn if given the choice

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Shameless bump. Would really like some more perspectives. Thanks.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Going to Penn isn't going to shut you out of the Chicago market. Since both would be at sticker, I don't think it's necessary to go "full court press" at NU at this point. Philadelphia is a fun city, so it's not like you'd be going to school in the middle of nowhere and I'd think COL would be comparable (Chi may even be more expensive).

If I were you, I would go visit Penn. If you aren't sold, then go full-court press with NU and try to get off "hold". But personally, I would take Penn over NU.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:18 pm

keg411 wrote:Going to Penn isn't going to shut you out of the Chicago market. Since both would be at sticker, I don't think it's necessary to go "full court press" at NU at this point. Philadelphia is a fun city, so it's not like you'd be going to school in the middle of nowhere and I'd think COL would be comparable (Chi may even be more expensive).

If I were you, I would go visit Penn. If you aren't sold, then go full-court press with NU and try to get off "hold". But personally, I would take Penn over NU.

With no ties to Chicago it'd shut him out.

But unless he has a burning desire for Chicago Penn's probably little better, so he should go with not worries. I certainly wouldn't fly to chicago for a visit to help your chances.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm

You should visit Penn, it is an incredible place, and a sweet school.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah, I am definitely going to visit (with a detour to Atlantic City). Anyone else that said NU care to explain?

Snape

Postby Snape » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm

This is an extremely easy question: If you want Chicago-->Northwestern, if you want New York/Philly-->Penn. that is really it. Northwestern is number 1 school in country for percent of grads in Big Law and has amazing connections to Chicago during and after law school. Penn is basically a part of New York and sends tons of grads to New York...I even know somebody who lived 2L and 3L in Brooklyn and went to Penn....the choice is easy once you fully decide where you most likely want to practice.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Snape wrote:This is an extremely easy question: If you want Chicago-->Northwestern, if you want New York/Philly-->Penn. that is really it. Northwestern is number 1 school in country for percent of grads in Big Law and has amazing connections to Chicago during and after law school. Penn is basically a part of New York and sends tons of grads to New York...I even know somebody who lived 2L and 3L in Brooklyn and went to Penn....the choice is easy once you fully decide where you most likely want to practice.

That is insane. Why?

Snape

Postby Snape » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm

girflriend worked in NYC---its like a 90 min train ride and not class everyday---really not that crazy

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Snape wrote:girflriend worked in NYC---its like a 90 min train ride and not class everyday---really not that crazy

It isn't. A lot of people commute to NYC to Philly every day for work - and it's easier the other way around. If I were to go to NYU/Columbia I would probably commute 2L/3L by choosing classes carefully.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm

I didn't vote because I have no idea what to tell you. I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I'm ED->WL at UVa but in at NU. Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't know that V over N is such a slam dunk for me, even assuming I get into V at some point off a waitlist. In your case, Penn's reputation helps make it an easier argument. I agree with the advice to visit Penn - I'm definitely going to visit NU early and often.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:2. Interested in tax or securities law (could change)
3. A great job is far more important than location (but I would choose Chicago over NYC or DC, all things equal)

I think Penn positions you better for both of these, although most of your opportunities will be in NYC. That would probably still be true at NU though since the Chicago market is pretty awful right now.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:50 pm

I can't believe more people didn't vote for Northwestern.

You want to live and work in Chicago -- take Northwestern. I've never never visited U Penn, but did visit Northwestern and there's a great atmosphere there, liked the students, the city, everything.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Penn: More likely to get biglaw
NU: More likely to get biglaw in Chicago

you pays your money...

EDIT: FWIW, I think that by the time you graduate it will be PVN(W) not MVP. Dean VZ did amazing things for that school - still, better to go to the school that NYC loves than the school that Chi loves considering the relative size of both markets.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm

It's worth keeping in mind that, if you don't get anything through OCI, you'll be better positioned to network your way to a job if you're physically in Chicago. I'm not saying that should dominate your decision, but it's a factor to consider if everything else is equal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”