Choose Boston U or George Washington?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dcgirl1013

Re: Choose Boston U or George Washington?

Postby dcgirl1013 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 pm

I am a paralegal currently at a big IP firm in DC and you definitely need a hard science background. We autoreject anyone that doesn't have a hard science background. Some of the older attorneys did not have the scientific background when they started but that was 30+ years ago and you definitely need it now. Also the managing partner at my firm went to GW for IP law and he is brilliant

PomasThynchon wrote:
bk1 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:Is it worth it to study IP at GW or BU? I'm interested in it, but I don't have a science/engineering background, so should I not waste my time

You shouldn't bother with IP.

Candid response is appreciated. GW is really trying to sell me on this program, but I've been skeptical. An attorney friend of my family is in patent law without a science background, but then again he graduated law school 30 years ago.

goblin

Postby goblin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:I am a paralegal currently at a big IP firm in DC and you definitely need a hard science background. We autoreject anyone that doesn't have a hard science background. Some of the older attorneys did not have the scientific background when they started but that was 30+ years ago and you definitely need it now. Also the managing partner at my firm went to GW for IP law and he is brilliant

Thank you for the info.

Is a BA in Chemistry enough of a science background to avoid the autoreject pile? I imagine BS is preferable, but is it possible to be considered with a BA?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

goblin wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:I am a paralegal currently at a big IP firm in DC and you definitely need a hard science background. We autoreject anyone that doesn't have a hard science background. Some of the older attorneys did not have the scientific background when they started but that was 30+ years ago and you definitely need it now. Also the managing partner at my firm went to GW for IP law and he is brilliant

Thank you for the info.

Is a BA in Chemistry enough of a science background to avoid the autoreject pile? I imagine BS is preferable, but is it possible to be considered with a BA?

can you take the patent bar with a BA in Chemistry?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Sorry if this has already been talked about but is it possible to do IP in a firm without having a degree in a hard science?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Gemini wrote:Sorry if this has already been talked about but is it possible to do IP in a firm without having a degree in a hard science?

Talked to an IP professor at my school and he said you don't need a science background at all for the copyright and trademark stuff.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Oh good because my interests run more along the copyright line.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Gemini wrote:Oh good because my interests run more along the copyright line.

Depending on the firm, a lot of IP doods might still handle those copyright and trademark cases.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 pm

rad law wrote:

Depending on the firm, a lot of IP doods might still handle those copyright and trademark cases.

Baaahh. Dammit.

goblin

Postby goblin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm

fatduck wrote:
goblin wrote:

Thank you for the info.

Yes I think so. They just refer to a Bachelor's degree, with no indication whether they mean BA or BS:

http://www.taprecourse.com/exam-facts/50-are-you-eligible-to-take-the-patent-bar

dood

Postby dood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Gemini wrote:
rad law wrote:

Baaahh. Dammit.

1/11 IP SAs at a certain firm have non-tech degrees. hth.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 am

Yes a B.A. in Chem would still be considered at my firm... And we tend to have lawyers who do solely Patent and lawyers who do Patent/copyright/trademark but I only know of 1 for sure who only does copyright/trademark.

goblin wrote:
fatduck wrote:
goblin wrote:

Thank you for the info.

Yes I think so. They just refer to a Bachelor's degree, with no indication whether they mean BA or BS:

http://www.taprecourse.com/exam-facts/50-are-you-eligible-to-take-the-patent-bar

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 am

concurrent fork wrote::roll: Cheaper neighborhoods exist around DC as well. Try living in Cambridge or a nice part of Brookline.

I lived in DC for 2 years and I have to say that Boston is a lot cheaper. There is much more student style housing around. If you're comparing nice areas, then yes, its probably comparable. But, looking at pure availability of affordable housing/areas, Boston is a lot, lot better. General COL is lower too - groceries, etc.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 am

Blindmelon wrote:
concurrent fork wrote::roll: Cheaper neighborhoods exist around DC as well. Try living in Cambridge or a nice part of Brookline.

I lived in DC for 2 years and I have to say that Boston is a lot cheaper. There is much more student style housing around. If you're comparing nice areas, then yes, its probably comparable. But, looking at pure availability of affordable housing/areas, Boston is a lot, lot better. General COL is lower too - groceries, etc.

This isn't to say that you can't live cheaply in DC - but you're going to be in some pretty rough areas to get comparable prices to Boston.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Informative wrote:You graduate with a JD from X law school, nothing really more (at least in the eyes of employers). However, your connections from a program like GW will help you at the firms in the DC area. GW has a pretty great alum network in DC/MD/VA.

That's what I'm thinking. Just like I'm sure that there are some film schools that are just as good as USC/UCLA, but aren't in the right area to have the same powerful connections.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”