Northeastern or Marquette?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sailerar

Northeastern or Marquette?

Postby sailerar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Thoughts and opinions on which of these schools I should attend?

BlueDiamond

Re: Northeastern or Marquette?

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:52 pm

at sticker neither

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:00 pm

I'd go with Marquette seems like Boston would attract a lot more competition from people who like the city, go to school in the city, or can figure out another excuse for why it's very desirable.

Wisconsin on the other hand doesn't seem like the type of state to attract lots of outsiders.

sailerar

Postby sailerar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:at sticker neither

not really helpful. but thanks.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Depends on scholarship $$, plus in which area of the US you want to work.

sailerar

Postby sailerar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 am

ATR wrote:Depends on scholarship $$, plus in which area of the US you want to work.

Don't care what area I work in; I like both Boston and Milwaukee. Both gave me good money and about the same amount. Interested in the sports law and love the fact that I don't have to take the bar at Marquette; also love the no grades and co-op at Northeastern. I guess I just want to know which is the better school, which will give me the best job prospects, etc.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 am

sailerar wrote:
ATR wrote:Depends on scholarship $$, plus in which area of the US you want to work.

Don't care what area I work in; I like both Boston and Milwaukee. Both gave me good money and about the same amount. Interested in the sports law and love the fact that I don't have to take the bar at Marquette; also love the no grades and co-op at Northeastern. I guess I just want to know which is the better school, which will give me the best job prospects, etc.

What are you looking for here? Both will give you marginal job prospects with regards to firm work, and DA/PD's offices everywhere are cutting back/not hiring. The only difference between them is one will confine you to Wisconsin and one will confine you to Mass. One school is "better" for work in Wisconsin, the other is "better" for work in Mass. If you don't care where you work or how much you pay, visit both and go to the one you like the most.

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:26 am

My brother went to Marquette. The school does give you access to chicago as well as milwaukee. Additionally, if you go to law school in wisco and practice there you don't need to take the wisconsin bar exam.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Where are you from originally? And are both of these at sticker or do you have scholarships?

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Marquette is well respected for sports law (for what that's worth) http://www.marquette.edu/omc/newscenter ... 0&archive=. Plus they just built a beautiful new law building. You're not AS limited if you want to work in a firm as people on TLS make it sound, but the market is not good all around and the poor economy has hit Milwaukee hard. Marquette's reputation in WI is good, not quite that of Madison, but it's not huge gap. With that being said, you're paying almost twice as much for a much lower ranked school with less portability. I really like the city of Milwaukee but it's not for everyone, and definitely not Boston. It's not at all expensive and there is a lot to do though. Tons of bands stop in Milwaukee (and if not Milwaukee, Madison), you have the Brewers (ugh), the Admirals if you're into hockey, and Bucks. Lots of good places to eat, and countless bars. Public transportation is also very good in Milwaukee.

I use to live in Milwaukee so if you have any questions about the city feel free to send me a PM. My knowledge about Marquette is limited though.

I know nothing about Northeastern or Boston.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
sailerar wrote:

What are you looking for here? Both will give you marginal job prospects with regards to firm work, and DA/PD's offices everywhere are cutting back/not hiring. The only difference between them is one will confine you to Wisconsin and one will confine you to Mass. One school is "better" for work in Wisconsin, the other is "better" for work in Mass. If you don't care where you work or how much you pay, visit both and go to the one you like the most.

This, although retake is still TCR. Wisconsin or BU/BC would be much better options.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

sailerar wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what "sports law" means; do you mean, for example, working in the legal department of a major sports franchise? Being an agent? Something else? Such jobs are few and far between, and people from higher ranked schools are going to be gunning for them.

Anyways, just know that Northeastern is going to be very, very hard to get a big firm gig from. Its simply not the purpose of the school. If you want government or PI, their co-opts can be helpful there, but not so much big Boston firms.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:44 pm

jasonac21 wrote:You're not AS limited if you want to work in a firm as people on TLS make it sound, but the market is not good all around and the poor economy has hit Milwaukee hard. Marquette's reputation in WI is good, not quite that of Madison, but it's not huge gap.

Now go look at the accounts of UW Madison students with good grades who are struggling mightily to get firm jobs. They are sprinkled around this site... If Marquette is behind Madison, then Marquette is struggling even more. I'll be fair and acknowledge that you alluded to the fact that the economy is bad, but I don't think there is any exaggeration with regards to the prospect of a Marquette student getting a legitimate firm job. People outside the top 10% will struggle mightily to get a top firm job. Those in the top 10% will still have a tough time. Those with family connections or some other hook would have been fine regardless of what school they went to. That isn't Marquette hate or TLS elitism, it's reality.

As an aside, and this isn't directed at you jasonac, the OP is asking which of these two schools, with two different philosophies, in two different parts of the country is "better" for someone with no geographical preference and no aversion to debt. REALLY, WTF does he/she want anyone to say here? OP needs to sit down, make a list of the things he/she wants for their life/career, and decide for themselves.

sailerar

Postby sailerar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:You're not AS limited if you want to work in a firm as people on TLS make it sound, but the market is not good all around and the poor economy has hit Milwaukee hard. Marquette's reputation in WI is good, not quite that of Madison, but it's not huge gap.

Now go look at the accounts of UW Madison students with good grades who are struggling mightily to get firm jobs. They are sprinkled around this site... If Marquette is behind Madison, then Marquette is struggling even more. I'll be fair and acknowledge that you alluded to the fact that the economy is bad, but I don't think there is any exaggeration with regards to the prospect of a Marquette student getting a legitimate firm job. People outside the top 10% will struggle mightily to get a top firm job. Those in the top 10% will still have a tough time. Those with family connections or some other hook would have been fine regardless of what school they went to. That isn't Marquette hate or TLS elitism, it's reality.

As an aside, and this isn't directed at you jasonac, the OP is asking which of these two schools, with two different philosophies, in two different parts of the country is "better" for someone with no geographical preference and no aversion to debt. REALLY, WTF does he/she want anyone to say here? OP needs to sit down, make a list of the things he/she wants for their life/career, and decide for themselves.

Just wanted peoples thoughts and opinions on the schools. No reason to be a douche bag. If you think my post is a waste of time, don't bother wasting your time and posting to it. Thanks, bye.

sailerar

Postby sailerar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 am

keg411 wrote:Where are you from originally? And are both of these at sticker or do you have scholarships?

I'm from VA and I got almost full tuition at each school. Interested in public service (NE well-known for it) and sports law (Marquette well-known for it), although to be perfectly honest I don't know what I'd do with sports law.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 am

sailerar wrote:
keg411 wrote:Where are you from originally? And are both of these at sticker or do you have scholarships?

I'm from VA and I got almost full tuition at each school. Interested in public service (NE well-known for it) and sports law (Marquette well-known for it), although to be perfectly honest I don't know what I'd do with sports law.

Were your scores good enough to get into W&M? Cheap and in-state is what I'd recommend rather than running of to private schools nowhere near where you are from. Or, conversely, a decent scholarship at W&L or full tuition w/no strings at a school like Richmond wouldn't be bad options. Or, even better, if you are willing to take time off and get your LSAT into UVA range (which might not even be too high if you have a good GPA since you are a VA resident).

If you don't want to practice in Boston or Milwaukee, there is no reason to consider either Northeastern or Marquette.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:28 am

sailerar wrote:
Just wanted peoples thoughts and opinions on the schools. No reason to be a douche bag. If you think my post is a waste of time, don't bother wasting your time and posting to it. Thanks, bye.

I don't think your post is a waste of time, I think you didn't initially give nearly enough information for anyone to advise you properly. You've trickled out info as the thread has gone on, but there is still honestly not enough to give you much responsible advise.

What we know is: You're from VA, you've got close to a full ride at both,you don't care where you work, you're interested in PI and Sports Law.

What would be helpful at this point is: What other schools you've applied to, whether you have any preference at all to return to the VA area, the exact amount of scholarship at each school/total cost of attendance at each, your numbers.

With all the info you've supplied to this point I can tell you this:

Neither Northeastern grads, nor Marquette grads are having an easy go of it in this job market. That said, I'm not the type to tell someone not to go to law school if they want to. Sports law is red herring. The fact that Marquette has a program in Sports Law may allow you the opportunity to take more courses on the subject, but it won't significantly improve your minuscule chances of getting a sports law job. Additionally, lots of people at schools that aren't Marquette take Sports Law classes, and pursue jobs in the field with varying degrees of success. Marquette's Sports Law program does not make it "better" than these other schools. It especially doesn't make it better than a school in Boston for a job in Boston, sports law or otherwise.

(as an aside on this point, one of my professors was on the NCAA infractions committee for over a decade, did compliance work for a major university for another five years, was the lead attorney in the Michigan infractions scandal this past year, and routinely consults on compliance issues for major athletic programs all around the country. My school doesn't boast a Sports Law program, but I guarantee you there are few people that are better to learn Sports Law from than this guy...btw he says Sports Law is largely contract law, it's not something that is realistic to "pursue," and he personally just fell into the compliance job all those years ago.)

Northeastern's PI tilt is less of a red herring. By all accounts, the co-op program is a fantastic experience. That said, it doesn't seem to significantly increase the marketability of Northeastern graduates once it's time to hit the job trail. Alas, people that go to schools with no Public Interest tilt or co-op program get PI jobs too. Northeastern's focus on this doesn't make it "better" than a school in Wisconsin for a job in Wisconsin, PI or otherwise.

Neither program should be the deciding factor in this scenario. If these truly are your final two options, your best bet is to visit both schools and see which one you like the most. You don't care where you work or how much debt you have, so that issue is off the table. As a result, your goal should be to find the place where you fit the most/won't be miserable for three years.

Not being a douche bag, just stating facts.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 am

Although I thought Northeastern's system was unique and I threw an app their way because of a fee waiver, I am beginning to think their grading system could hurt their students, as Northeastern students don't have grades to compare against others competing for jobs.

I think this is one thing to think about; another is LOCATION. I am always so surprised when TLS-ers say they have no geographical preference. Surely you must like one area better than the other? I would pick my school based on where I want to practice for several years, since you are looking at extremely regional schools.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Hm, I actually agree with this. I know quite a few of Madison and Marquette law grads and you're right, many are struggling, but I also know some that have firm jobs, albeit, and this is important, SMALL firms. But yeah, it is very tough out there, and it is worse when you have huge amounts of debt to pay back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”