What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

romothesavior

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Barbie wrote:I would love if some of the people who voted Illinois would chime in :D :D :D Pls?

It is simply a better higher ranked school that provides better biglaw and geography options. But for your situation (no biglaw interest and FL ties), you would likely be just as well served at UF or FSU for cheaper.

ftfy

Also, geography point is debatable.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Orly?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Barbie wrote:I would love if some of the people who voted Illinois would chime in :D :D :D Pls?

It is simply a better higher ranked school that provides better biglaw and geography options. But for your situation (no biglaw interest and FL ties), you would likely be just as well served at UF or FSU for cheaper.

ftfy

Also, geography point is debatable.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Orly?

Fact: UIUC is ranked higher than UF and FSU
Fact: UIUC places more students in NLJ250 jobs than FSU and Florida
Fact: Those metrics by themselves are not good indicators of school quality

I simply don't believe that Loyola Chicago is a "better" school than UF/FSU, or that Villanova is "better" than Temple, or that Howard is "better" than all of them.

Also, geographical considerations are always going to be subjective. I'd personally never live in the midwest, so the places that UIUC opens doors to are not IMO "better" than the places that UF, UGA, or Bama opens doors to.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Fact: UIUC is ranked higher than UF and FSU
Fact: UIUC places more students in NLJ250 jobs than FSU and Florida
Fact: Those metrics by themselves are not good indicators of school quality

I simply don't believe that Loyola Chicago is a "better" school than UF/FSU, or that Villanova is "better" than Temple, or that Howard is "better" than all of them.

Also, geographical considerations are always going to be subjective. I'd personally never live in the midwest, so the places that UIUC opens doors to are not IMO "better" than the places that UF, UGA, or Bama opens doors to.

Illinois sends decent (not huge, but decent) numbers of its students to NYC and Cali biglaw. I don't think Florida can boast that at all.

Also, UIUC doesn't just place more students into NLJ250 jobs. They do it by a rather significant number. UF is a fine school, no doubt about it, and I have nothing disparaging to say about it. But Illinois is a more national school with better biglaw prospects. My argument has nothing to do with rank.

FWIW, I voted FSU. So I'm not even advocating Barbie pick UIUC. I just think it is silly to say that UIUC isn't the best school of the three, because it is.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:29 pm

UF. Giant in it's home state. She is from FL. Top program in tax. IL is competing with Northwestern, Chicago, Wisconsin, Michigan...

Anyone who voted IL in this thread didn't consider OP's personal situation.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Barbie: If you know deep down that you dont want to have a future in florida, then the clear cut choice is illinois. By going to law school there you will be able to get a nice solid foundation, and be able to figure out where you want to go after law school. Living in the north, th 4 seasons is a huge plus. I know for a fact that I cannot live anywhere where its just one or 2 seasons ( hot and humid, cooler, and not as humid ( dry)). Yes the winter can stink, but if you acclimate well enough, you will be fine. From reading your responses, and listening to others on here, I can tell that you are torn by the notion of leaving your family and doctors behind. You can always visit them, and take to heart that people do move- so you cant really make major life decisions based on other people who can potentially leave. Your husband seems ready and willing to go, so you wont be going there alone. As for not knowing anyone, you will meet people in law school, and im sure there willbe other married couples in similar situtations as you.

While all of the schools you listed are good schools, it really comes down to do you want to go live in illinois ( and surrounding areas) or do you want florida? since you stated that you dont want to raise a family in florida, then I would say you want Illiniois.( sorry about constantly mis spelling ILL- no offense). THe mid west has a very nice vibe to it, and you will find that peope are genuinely nice and accomodating. So- Im going to change my vote from UF ( love the gators) to IL. Its a very good school in the state, and I think you will end up doing well.

If you are worried about leaving your doctors and legal network behind, talk to them and explain your situtation. Im sure they will be happy to help you out as much as possible. Hope this helps. best of luck, and know that whatever you end up choosin will be the right choice for you and your husband.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:59 pm

I vote fsu because of the debt. 20k vs 75k is nothing to sneeze at. Do well at either school and you will be fine. Don't do as well and that debt isn't too fun.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Barbie, if you want to get out of FL, this is pretty much it. If you go to UF/FSU, you are going to be there forever.

If I were you, I would talk to your fiance. You guys need to figure out what is the best for the two of you in the future. You are not going to have a ton of debt at any of the schools so you really need to figure out where you want to practice and where you see yourself living down the line. Also, I think between the two Florida schools, with your goals, you would be better at FSU than UF.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 am

I really appreciate all the feedback! I went to a bonfire tonight with my parents which did 2 things. First, it reminded me how beautiful and amazing Florida can be as I sat in my chair, overlooking the ocean in a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops and watched fireworks. Second, my dad said some pretty good stuff. He said that he knows I'm backing away from Illinois because I'm scared: scared of being up there without my security net (my parents, friends, etc) and scared that I'm not smart enough to compete with my peers. He also said that anyone who backs down from going to a top school because of fear is a moron. lol.

I need a ouija board.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:57 am

Barbie wrote:I really appreciate all the feedback! I went to a bonfire tonight with my parents which did 2 things. First, it reminded me how beautiful and amazing Florida can be as I sat in my chair, overlooking the ocean in a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops and watched fireworks. Second, my dad said some pretty good stuff. He said that he knows I'm backing away from Illinois because I'm scared: scared of being up there without my security net (my parents, friends, etc) and scared that I'm not smart enough to compete with my peers. He also said that anyone who backs down from going to a top school because of fear is a moron. lol.

I need a ouija board.

I know SO many people who went out of state for law school, only to transfer back to their home state after 1L. PLEASE, PLEASE understand that your family and friends matter more than you realize. Your youthful desire for adventure will dissipate. So please go to UF or FSU.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:05 am

Danteshek wrote:
Barbie wrote:I really appreciate all the feedback! I went to a bonfire tonight with my parents which did 2 things. First, it reminded me how beautiful and amazing Florida can be as I sat in my chair, overlooking the ocean in a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops and watched fireworks. Second, my dad said some pretty good stuff. He said that he knows I'm backing away from Illinois because I'm scared: scared of being up there without my security net (my parents, friends, etc) and scared that I'm not smart enough to compete with my peers. He also said that anyone who backs down from going to a top school because of fear is a moron. lol.

I need a ouija board.

I know SO many people who went out of state for law school, only to transfer back to their home state after 1L. PLEASE, PLEASE understand that your family and friends matter more than you realize. Your youthful desire for adventure will dissipate. So please go to UF or FSU.

This is credited. I made a huge move for grad school (for my future and to get out of my hometown) and it was SO HARD my first year. Also, Illinois is so different than Florida in weather and region. Make sure this is what you want. I personally had no idea that a move from the beach to the mountains (for myself) would be so hard. It confirmed what I was suspected to already have--Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Anyway, it's not all doom and gloom, this second year for me was a million times better than last year. But it's a MAJOR adjustment.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am

I need a ouija board.

Fear keeps us from touching hot stoves and jumping off high things without protection. It's a necessary tool just like any other emotion, and it's something we wouldn't have if it wasn't an evolutionary tool important to our survival. Too much is certainly a problem, but not enough of it is as well.

You should be afraid to leave your support system. That is natural, and it's something that'll be really tough to get over. I don't think you should worry too much about not being smart enough to compete though. The fact that you got admitted means you belong. The lsat/gpa/relative intelligence of your peers really doesn't matter once you get there. What matters is that you put in enough work and prepare yourself well enough to walk out of that first set of exams and know that you did all you could.

You've lived long enough in Florida to know what life at UF/FSU will be like. You've also visited UIUC, and apparently liked it very much. You've weighed the debt, the risks, and all the other important factors. You've even consulted TLS. If your cycle is over, and these are your final three choices, it's time to go with what your gut tells you.

I did that; broke my lease, left my home state and a large scholarship at the top ranked school in it, left my 1k deposit at the school, packed up my stuff, and moved to go to my current school on the day before school started. Got there at 5 am the day of class. Wasn't even sure if i'd have an apartment. I went with my gut though, and it was the best decision I've ever made. I've been very successful, and even more happy.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am

c'mon now guys, you are really blowing this out of proportion, cross country moves are not that big of a deal, the first month or so is kind of weird with culture shock and all but after that you adjust esp. with a built in social system like school
Last edited by dr123 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 am

I would choose Illinois in this situation, but that's just me.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:09 am

Aqualibrium wrote:

I need a ouija board.

Fear keeps us from touching hot stoves and jumping off high things without protection. It's a necessary tool just like any other emotion, and it's something we wouldn't have it if it wasn't an evolutionary tool important to our survival. Too much is certainly a problem, but not enough of it is as well.

You should be afraid to leave your support system. That is natural, and it's something that'll be really tough to get over. I don't think you should worry too much about not being smart enough to compete though. The fact that you got admitted means you belong. The lsat/gpa/relative intelligence of your peers really doesn't matter once you get there. What matters is that you put in enough work and prepare yourself well enough to walk out of that first set of exams and know that you did all you could.

You've lived long enough in Florida to know what life at UF/FSU will be like. You've also visited UIUC, and apparently liked it very much. You've weighed the debt, the risks, and all the other important factors. You've even consulted TLS. If your cycle is over, and these are your final three choices, it's time to go with what your gut tells you.

I did that; broke my lease, left my 1k deposit at one school, packed up my stuff, and moved to go to my current school on the day before school started. Got there at 5 am the day of class. Wasn't even sure if i'd have an apartment. I went with my gut though, and it was the best decision I've ever made. I've been very successful, and even more happy.

I think this is an awesome response as well. Know yourself and trust yourself.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:11 am

dr123 wrote:c'mon now guys, you are really blowing this out of proportion, cross country moves are not that big of a deal, the first month or so is kind of weird with culture shock and all but after that you adjust esp. with a built in social system like school

You can't really say this, because for some people family is #1. My family thought I was fucking crazy for moving away, since they've all lived near each other their entire lives. I'm one of the first to move away, and that was a hard adjustment for me. It just all depends on what is important to Barbie. Change and a more highly ranked school, or familiarity and a decent T1.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 am

Barbie wrote: as I sat in my chair, overlooking the ocean in a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops and watched fireworks.

Siiiigh.

That's all. Voted for Illinois though.

:)

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:28 am

DeeCee wrote:
dr123 wrote:c'mon now guys, you are really blowing this out of proportion, cross country moves are not that big of a deal, the first month or so is kind of weird with culture shock and all but after that you adjust esp. with a built in social system like school

You can't really say this, because for some people family is #1. My family thought I was fucking crazy for moving away, since they've all lived near each other their entire lives. I'm one of the first to move away, and that was a hard adjustment for me. It just all depends on what is important to Barbie. Change and a more highly ranked school, or familiarity and a decent T1.

As long as you go into it with an open mind and look at it as an exciting new chapter in your life you will be fine. With the internet, cell phones, skype, etc... its really easy to stay in contact with people As long as you don't dwell on the past, and keep moving forward you will be fine. That being said if OP doesn't want to leave florida don't leave, but don't let something like being afraid to leave your comfort zone stop you from doing what you really want to do.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:32 am

dr123 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

As long as you go into it with an open mind and look at it as an exciting new chapter in your life you will be fine. With the internet, cell phones, skype, etc... its really easy to stay in contact with people As long as you don't dwell on the past, and keep moving forward you will be fine. That being said if OP doesn't want to leave florida don't leave, but don't let something like being afraid to leave your comfort zone stop you from doing what you really want to do.

Except for my family wouldn't know how to use Skype of their lives depended on it, lol. But I understand exactly what you're saying here. For me it was an emotional roller coaster, but if I wouldn't have moved I would have been like the rest of my family and stayed in one place for the rest of my life.

Good luck on your decision Barbie! I'd love to know what you ultimately choose.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 am

DeeCee wrote:
dr123 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Except for my family wouldn't know how to use Skype of their lives depended on it, lol. But I understand exactly what you're saying here. For me it was an emotional roller coaster, but if I wouldn't have moved I would have been like the rest of my family and stayed in one place for the rest of my life.

Good luck on your decision Barbie! I'd love to know what you ultimately choose.

I dunno, personally im on my third time zone in as many years and big moves don't really phase me, but i never really stayed in the same spot much growing up so im used to it. I just personally think that all of these people who have move back home because they cant handle being outside of the safety net of their hometown went into it with the wrong attitude and never really allowed themselves to move forward and/or didn't give it enough time. Moving can be tough and there is an adjustment period, but you cant stay fixated on how great where you came from is but rather on all of the new and exciting places and people in your new locale. People are the same everywhere, the people you meet in your new town will likely be pretty damn similar to the people you left.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 am

It's harder still when you come from an area where people don't move away, and they think it's strange that you want to leave. Or you come from a family that doesn't separate, that you grew up eating weekend dinners with your grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and everyone. Obviously, I'm from the south, lol.

But yes, you have to branch out or else you'll never move away.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:17 am

Knock wrote:I voted U. Illinois.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 am

Aqualibrium wrote:

I need a ouija board.

Fear keeps us from touching hot stoves and jumping off high things without protection. It's a necessary tool just like any other emotion, and it's something we wouldn't have if it wasn't an evolutionary tool important to our survival. Too much is certainly a problem, but not enough of it is as well.

I did that; broke my lease, left my home state and a large scholarship at the top ranked school in it, left my 1k deposit at the school, packed up my stuff, and moved to go to my current school on the day before school started. Got there at 5 am the day of class. Wasn't even sure if i'd have an apartment. I went with my gut though, and it was the best decision I've ever made. I've been very successful, and even more happy.

this is a great post. moving away is very hard, and scary. however it may be the best thing ever that you can do.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 am

FSU

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:13 am

Barbs...i went to undergrad at FSU and my sister went to UF (just to give you some validation behind my thoughts.)

FSU is a great school, love it death. But as far as law goes, unless you want to really practice gov't work then I quite frankly would not go there. You too could probably get into the smaller firms that you desire however. Just don't think you are going to come out of there making 70k+. I know quite a few people who had to decide to hang up their shingle bc of lack of opportunities. Tallahassee as a town is actually pretty damn fun. It's not the size of a typical capital, but it trumps that of anything going on in gainesville. Also, i'm pretty sure that Tallahassee could provide more job opportunities for your hubby.

UF is honestly considered the best school in Florida. Let's be frank. If you are going to go to a school in Florida for law...GO TO UF. NO BRAINER. That extra debt is just a GOOD INVESTMENT. At least here, you will have the opportunity to get a big ticket job or have the future mobility in the state to advance to different sectors if your interests ever change. Check out NALP. Seems like more employers throughout the state from different cities come to UF versus FSU. At UF you have firms from Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lauderdale, and Miami, etc. And these are the cities you want to live in.

The school systems in Florida aren't the best, but it does have its share of good ones. It really just comes down to the socio-economic areas in which you live. Live somewhere nice, and the quality of education will follow suit. Also keep in mind your children will have the opportunity to get BRIGHT FUTURES for college. That's a major plus :lol:

As far as Illinois, I wish I could give you more insight. I won't be going there till April 1st. I too and deciding between Illinois and the south. I will say, its such a huge opportunity to pass up. And the last time I had a big opportunity that took me out of my comfort zone (moving from Florida to California for employment) was the best decision I've made. Killed my relationship for a time, but everything worked out for the BEST in all areas of my life. So obviously risks can pay out. The best investments usually DO involve the highest level of risk. Big Payout=Big Risks. But do you really want to live in the midwest? Because if you go to UIUC and then try to come back to FL, then your decision makes no sense. The only reason you should go to UIUC is if you plan on staying in the midwest. If you don't, its not such a school of prestige that you should give up attending your true intended market's home hero (UF).

All in all, don't rush into this decision. I know you were saying you wanted to put a deposit down on a house, but I don't think the house is going anywhere. Give yourself some time. And really gauge where the hubby wants to be. It should be between UF or UIUC.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 am

FSU. Florida, then Illinois.

Nobody can answer this question but you. I am surprised that Alabama & Georgia aren't in the running. $75,000 of debt is too much compared to your other options. I doubt that you'll want to settle in the Midwest with both of your families in Florida. Law school classmates are valuable lifelong professional contacts. Unfortunately, I think that you may have received too much personal attention. My best guess is that after one academic year at Illinois, transfer applications will be in the works.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”