What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
56
53%
FSU (20k)
50
47%
 
Total votes: 106

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Skyhook » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:00 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I recall from reading threads on this subject that the OCI are pretty proportional to the size of the student body. UF's until very recently has been larger than FSU's which helps explain that discrepancy. When I get a chance to sit down and find the exact numbers I will.

I disagree with your point about the rankings. UF moved up, but what if they move down next rankings? Last year they were one spot apart! The difference between the two is going to be so negligible it should have no bearing whatsoever on her decision. It seems both schools have firmly established themselves as 1/1A (or 1/2, depending on your viewpoint), and a rankings-based decision would be silly.

Lastly, I think you are misconstruing my point a bit when talking about her lone concern being what finds her a job. I am addressing her situation solely from that position, as it is all I care about as well. Her experience at the schools and potential for success stems a huge part from the environment. The student body and locations are vastly different. The other differences between the school are minute enough that I believe the most overriding factor will be which school she thinks is a better fit for her and gives her the greatest chance to finish above median. Because if you aren't above median at either school, you are sol. UF gives the tiniest chance at big law (which she has no interest in) and they have their tax program, but other than that I see no distinguishable differences between the two.


How can she tell whether she will finish above median? We all expect to because we will work hard, etc...
I agree the campus visits are going to make a difference, and the feel of the community is very important.
But remember, this is also about balancing her husband's opportunities too. I hope he will be visiting both and scoping out the job situations.

As for Barbie's career, UF has a larger alumni base which gives it the edge, especially if you think all else is equal in terms of rank and respect.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

Skyhook wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I recall from reading threads on this subject that the OCI are pretty proportional to the size of the student body. UF's until very recently has been larger than FSU's which helps explain that discrepancy. When I get a chance to sit down and find the exact numbers I will.

I disagree with your point about the rankings. UF moved up, but what if they move down next rankings? Last year they were one spot apart! The difference between the two is going to be so negligible it should have no bearing whatsoever on her decision. It seems both schools have firmly established themselves as 1/1A (or 1/2, depending on your viewpoint), and a rankings-based decision would be silly.

Lastly, I think you are misconstruing my point a bit when talking about her lone concern being what finds her a job. I am addressing her situation solely from that position, as it is all I care about as well. Her experience at the schools and potential for success stems a huge part from the environment. The student body and locations are vastly different. The other differences between the school are minute enough that I believe the most overriding factor will be which school she thinks is a better fit for her and gives her the greatest chance to finish above median. Because if you aren't above median at either school, you are sol. UF gives the tiniest chance at big law (which she has no interest in) and they have their tax program, but other than that I see no distinguishable differences between the two.


How can she tell whether she will finish above median? We all expect to because we will work hard, etc...
I agree the campus visits are going to make a difference, and the feel of the community is very important.
But remember, this is also about balancing her husband's opportunities too. I hope he will be visiting both and scoping out the job situations.

As for Barbie's career, UF has a larger alumni base which gives it the edge, especially if you think all else is equal in terms of rank and respect.


She can't, which is why putting herself in what she thinks is the best opportunity to succeed is of utmost importance.

UF does have a larger alumni base, although the exact amount of it is obviously difficult to quantify, which certainly makes it hard to pass up $20,000. I plugged the numbers into loan repayment calculators and it comes out to about $250/month extra for 10 years to attend UF. Barbie, is going to UF worth the extra $250/month? That is the question I am struggling with and why I have no idea where I will be going yet.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Barbie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 pm

ResolutePear do you actually go to FSU or did I just readingcomp fail it up?

Also, I know we are offered some sort of employment statistic to look at-- however accurate or inaccurate that is, but is there a way to find data on OCI? Just ask current students?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Barbie wrote:ResolutePear do you actually go to FSU or did I just readingcomp fail it up?

Also, I know we are offered some sort of employment statistic to look at-- however accurate or inaccurate that is, but is there a way to find data on OCI? Just ask current students?


I've forum searched for previous discussions on this topic and IIRC UF definitely had more OCI but they corresponded to the class size at the time. When you compared the two based on their ratios UF still had an edge but it wasn't anything substantial.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts after next weekend. I feel like that is going make a HUGE difference and may even bring you to a satisfactory conclusion. I know I'm hoping it does it for me lol

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:28 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:ResolutePear do you actually go to FSU or did I just readingcomp fail it up?

Also, I know we are offered some sort of employment statistic to look at-- however accurate or inaccurate that is, but is there a way to find data on OCI? Just ask current students?


I've forum searched for previous discussions on this topic and IIRC UF definitely had more OCI but they corresponded to the class size at the time. When you compared the two based on their ratios UF still had an edge but it wasn't anything substantial.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts after next weekend. I feel like that is going make a HUGE difference and may even bring you to a satisfactory conclusion. I know I'm hoping it does it for me lol

If I recall correctly, I think we had something like: ~35 employers phase 1, ~15 phase 2, ~7-8 phase 3 and ~5-6 phase 4 for OCI.

So a little over 60 total. And (some) bigger firms were hiring for more than one office (think Carlton Fields, Gunster, H&K, Foley Lardner).

UF also actively posts employers who are not recruiting through OCI (out of which I know people have gotten interviews/call backs).

I also know a few people who have received summer jobs in various government agencies through the Arizona Honors Handbook.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 pm

mistergoft wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:ResolutePear do you actually go to FSU or did I just readingcomp fail it up?

Also, I know we are offered some sort of employment statistic to look at-- however accurate or inaccurate that is, but is there a way to find data on OCI? Just ask current students?


I've forum searched for previous discussions on this topic and IIRC UF definitely had more OCI but they corresponded to the class size at the time. When you compared the two based on their ratios UF still had an edge but it wasn't anything substantial.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts after next weekend. I feel like that is going make a HUGE difference and may even bring you to a satisfactory conclusion. I know I'm hoping it does it for me lol

If I recall correctly, I think we had something like: ~35 employers phase 1, ~15 phase 2, ~7-8 phase 3 and ~5-6 phase 4 for OCI.

So a little over 60 total. And (some) bigger firms were hiring for more than one office (think Carlton Fields, Gunster, H&K, Foley Lardner).

UF also actively posts employers who are not recruiting through OCI (out of which I know people have gotten interviews/call backs).

I also know a few people who have received summer jobs in various government agencies through the Arizona Honors Handbook.


Thanks for the feedback, it is very substantive and informative. I hope an FSU student can post similar stats, or someone has a link to where they have. There were 310 students in UF's 2010 class and FSU has ~215 students, fwiw.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 pm

mistergoft wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:ResolutePear do you actually go to FSU or did I just readingcomp fail it up?

Also, I know we are offered some sort of employment statistic to look at-- however accurate or inaccurate that is, but is there a way to find data on OCI? Just ask current students?


I've forum searched for previous discussions on this topic and IIRC UF definitely had more OCI but they corresponded to the class size at the time. When you compared the two based on their ratios UF still had an edge but it wasn't anything substantial.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts after next weekend. I feel like that is going make a HUGE difference and may even bring you to a satisfactory conclusion. I know I'm hoping it does it for me lol

If I recall correctly, I think we had something like: ~35 employers phase 1, ~15 phase 2, ~7-8 phase 3 and ~5-6 phase 4 for OCI.

So a little over 60 total. And (some) bigger firms were hiring for more than one office (think Carlton Fields, Gunster, H&K, Foley Lardner).

UF also actively posts employers who are not recruiting through OCI (out of which I know people have gotten interviews/call backs).

I also know a few people who have received summer jobs in various government agencies through the Arizona Honors Handbook.


Thanks for the feedback, it is very substantive and informative. I hope an FSU student can post similar stats, or someone has a link to where they have. There were 310 students in UF's 2010 class and FSU has ~215 students, fwiw.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it is very substantive and informative. I hope an FSU student can post similar stats, or someone has a link to where they have. There were 310 students in UF's 2010 class and FSU has ~215 students, fwiw.


http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_sea ... anced.asp#

Just scroll to the bottom, select the school, and voila... Lists NALP firms at OCI... not exactly perfect info, but better than nothing.

Per that website, 34 total employers (includes multiple offices, government, etc...) for UF and 18 for FSU.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Thank you. And when adjusting for class size, that is about one interview spot for a little over every 9 students at UF while there is one interview spot for a little over every 11 at FSU. I know there is obviously a lot more than just that information, but I believe it just further reiterates my point the overall experience she has (and to be honest, the scholarship offer, which saves her $250/month for ten years, that shit adds up) will be the biggest factors in choosing a school. They are for me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests