What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

Barbie

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 pm

20k is what FSU is offering. I don't know if UF is going to continue to raise its tuition and FSU not, or if UF will end up giving me anything at all (probably not) but with the small difference in COL I'd say the difference between the two will be 17k-23k :)

ScrabbleChamp

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:24 pm

28k is enough to make a decision based off of? The price of a legal education is comparable to buying a house. You could get a nice house in a gated community in NJ, or you could buy one in the Bronx. Don't mind the graffiti. You're saving 28k after all.

Since I'm currently visiting one of the schools I've been accepted to and I'm in my hotel room and bored, I ran the numbers, just to see. If she doesn't take on an additional 50k in debt ($575/month extra repayment), she'll be able to afford a home loan of $108,000 more. That is, if she goes to UF, she'll have to spend $108,000 less on a home than if she went to FSU with $50k less debt, because she'll not need to spend $575/month on loan repayment.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:25 pm

FSU at half the debt is a really nice option. I went to undergraduate at FSU and I can't say enough good things about it. Plus Tally>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gainesville then you weigh in the fact that its the "Capital City". Lawyers always say there isn't much of a difference and FSU > UF for politics. I actually know two undergrads from UF who got into both and chose FSU

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Barbie wrote:20k is what FSU is offering. I don't know if UF is going to continue to raise its tuition and FSU not, or if UF will end up giving me anything at all (probably not) but with the small difference in COL I'd say the difference between the two will be 17k-23k :)

Urg... RC fail on my part... Updated numbers:

$322/month more at UF, meaning $60k less spent on a house.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

FSU, but for the record, getting an MBA w/o work experience is pretty backwards/pointless

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

jdhakert wrote:FSU at half the debt is a really nice option. I went to undergraduate at FSU and I can't say enough good things about it. Plus Tally>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gainesville then you weigh in the fact that its the "Capital City". Lawyers always say there isn't much of a difference and FSU > UF for politics. I actually know two undergrads from UF who got into both and chose FSU

This.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
28k is enough to make a decision based off of? The price of a legal education is comparable to buying a house. You could get a nice house in a gated community in NJ, or you could buy one in the Bronx. Don't mind the graffiti. You're saving 28k after all.

Since I'm currently visiting one of the schools I've been accepted to and I'm in my hotel room and bored, I ran the numbers, just to see. If she doesn't take on an additional 50k in debt ($575/month extra repayment), she'll be able to afford a home loan of $108,000 more. That is, if she goes to UF, she'll have to spend $108,000 less on a home than if she went to FSU with $50k less debt, because she'll not need to spend $575/month on loan repayment.

People are all over the house analogy. And it's not an additional 50k, it's an additional 28k for UF.

And just look at the income stats for both schools. Average private income from UF is 92k while the income at FSU is 67k. You almost make up that 28k difference in one year. Why is ranking the only number that matters? I'm just thinking the higher income, bar passage and employment stats are worth noting. Also the insanely low number reporting for FSU's income stats.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
jdhakert wrote:FSU at half the debt is a really nice option. I went to undergraduate at FSU and I can't say enough good things about it. Plus Tally>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gainesville then you weigh in the fact that its the "Capital City". Lawyers always say there isn't much of a difference and FSU > UF for politics. I actually know two undergrads from UF who got into both and chose FSU

This.

Really? I'm going to have a better idea after this month, but from the few times I've been to both cities I would put UF >> FSU for my personal preference. Like I said, I'll definitly have to put more time, etc into it while I'm visitng both.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm

And just look at the income stats for both schools. Average private income from UF is 92k while the income at FSU is 67k. You almost make up that 28k difference in one year. Why is ranking the only number that matters? I'm just thinking the higher income, bar passage and employment stats are worth noting. Also the insanely low number reporting for FSU's income stats.

Well, there's your problem. If you believe any of the salary information reported by schools, you are already behind the curve. Also, you really think the reported salaries are representative of graduates working in firms with less than 10 attorneys? You aren't making $92k in Florida as a first year at a firm with 8 other attorneys. My guess is, firms with 5-10 attorneys all pay about the same, and, in the state of Florida, the ones that pay more are going to be biased based on the hiring manager's alma mater, not ranking. You really need to wrap your head around the idea that, in the state of Florida, UF/FSU (aside from tax) are pretty equal. I mean, really, if you were to take the *bullshit* USNWR rankings out of the picture, would you still be making the same argument? OP does not want BigLaw or tax, the only areas that UF is really all that much better for. Why take on any extra debt if you don't need to?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Well, there's your problem. If you believe any of the salary information reported by schools, you are already behind the curve. Also, you really think the reported salaries are representative of graduates working in firms with less than 10 attorneys? You aren't making $92k in Florida as a first year at a firm with 8 other attorneys. My guess is, firms with 5-10 attorneys all pay about the same, and, in the state of Florida, the ones that pay more are going to be biased based on the hiring manager's alma mater, not ranking. You really need to wrap your head around the idea that, in the state of Florida, UF/FSU (aside from tax) are pretty equal. I mean, really, if you were to take the *bullshit* USNWR rankings out of the picture, would you still be making the same argument? OP does not want BigLaw or tax, the only areas that UF is really all that much better for. Why take on any extra debt if you don't need to?

So let's discredit all the stats. I want to go to law school in San Diego, and I could go with full ride to Thomas Jefferson. It's settled. Ima go to Amazon now and shop for flip flops.

(The stats are inflated, but they're inflated the same for both schools. If you're only going to take one number away from it, I'd look at the 58% reporting for FSU)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Really? I'm going to have a better idea after this month, but from the few times I've been to both cities I would put UF >> FSU for my personal preference. Like I said, I'll definitly have to put more time, etc into it while I'm visitng both.

Tallahassee is a real city that has a lot more going for it than the hideous Orange and Blue that Gainesville does. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in Gainesville revolves around the school's athletic programs. Gainesville is the perfect definition of a college town... Nothing but the college and college students. The housing in the area is pretty disgusting, the town is pretty disgusting, and you'll never find a dearth of drunken Greek life types walking around. Tallahassee, on the other hand, has so much more going for it than the university. There are actual people that don't obsess about "Gator Nation."

If you want to relive your undergrad years and be surrounded by inebriated, fanatical students in a filthy town for 3 years, choose UF. If you want to live amongst real humans, choose FSU.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Tallahassee is a real city that has a lot more going for it than the hideous Orange and Blue that Gainesville does. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in Gainesville revolves around the school's athletic programs. Gainesville is the perfect definition of a college town... Nothing but the college and college students. The housing in the area is pretty disgusting, the town is pretty disgusting, and you'll never find a dearth of drunken Greek life types walking around. Tallahassee, on the other hand, has so much more going for it than the university. There are actual people that don't obsess about "Gator Nation."

If you want to relive your undergrad years and be surrounded by inebriated, fanatical students in a filthy town for 3 years, choose UF. If you want to live amongst real humans, choose FSU.

The inebriated greeks and undergrad-nation is actually how I've always pictured FSU (visited only on big football weekends). I'm hoping scholars day will change my mind.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Which is why even fsu students call it Tallanasty...

Both towns have a huge UG/party representation. I would even say fsu has a much more open and spread out party life than UF does. UF is the better school, and u mad.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:09 pm

So let's discredit all the stats. I want to go to law school in San Diego, and I could go with full ride to Thomas Jefferson. It's settled. Ima go to Amazon now and shop for flip flops.

(The stats are inflated, but they're inflated the same for both schools. If you're only going to take one number away from it, I'd look at the 58% reporting for FSU)

I don't know where you are getting your stats, so I can't speak to their validity. The most updated info I can find is an average salary of $78k for private sector FSU grads (per FSU website) and $92k private sector for UF grads (per TLS). However, I doubt highly the validity of the UF stat as a friend of mine is a 2nd year BigLaw associate in Tampa and he was hired at $105k. With less than 10% of UF grads getting BigLaw, it's hard to imagine the median is $92k, when the market rate is $105k for BigLaw.

As far as your San Diego scenario, it isn't even close to the same situation. San Diego is CLEARLY, AND BY FAR, the best school in San Diego. UF does not have that same dominance over FSU. I think you'd be hard pressed to find and FSU grad that things UF is a better school. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Thomas Jefferson grad with a job, let alone one that think Thomas Jefferson is better than USD.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Both towns have a huge UG/party representation. I would even say fsu has a much more open and spread out party life than UF does. UF is the better school, and u mad.

I have no allegiance to either school... I am a transplant to Florida and went to school out-of-state. Both towns have their bad parts, but at least Tallahassee has parts that aren't bad and aren't centered around the university. You cannot escape the undergrad mentality in Gainesville; you can in Tallahassee. OP will have to decide what is right for her, but, all things equal, I'd still choose FSU and less debt over UF.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:You cannot escape the undergrad mentality in Gainesville; you can in Tallahassee.

This is not an accurate statement re:Gainesville.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Deuce wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Or Talla-classy.. haha it doesn't matter. Ask anyone who goes to UF, even if they HATE the Noles, they will tell you they come to Tallahassee frequently whereas it doesn't happen the other way around. Gainesville is awful, even though I don't mind the school UF. The law school is segregated from the undergrad campus, and in fact in a GORGEOUS part of tallahassee. G-ville is very undergrad college towny and... cough... redneck... cough. And that's coming from a Texan

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm

FTR I never paid more than 300 in rent all 3 years in tallahassee. Just throwing that out there.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:22 pm

You'll be happy at either school though Barbs, just enjoy life right now

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:FTR I never paid more than 300 in rent all 3 years in tallahassee. Just throwing that out there.

I don't like apartments, so I need a nice house with a big yard to accomodate myself, my husband, and my 3 pets. I haven't lived in anything smaller than a 3bedroom in years, and don't plan to downgrade. I've compared 3-4 bedroom houses between the two and while both cities offer them within my budget (1200/month) I have found they are a tad cheaper in Gville (ones I would live in for @ 900)-- thats all I was really saying about the COL.

This debate is actually where my head is at right now. My fiance would WAY rather live in Gainesville as he is a die-hard Gators fan... I have no outside preference besides the few times I've visited both and did enjoy Gainesville a bit more. I got a hotel right next to the law school so I'm excited to experience that part of Tallahassee rather than the undergraduate part.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Barbs, I thought you were going to Illinois? What did I miss?

Um, and if, for some reason it is still an issue: FSU.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Or Talla-classy.. haha it doesn't matter. Ask anyone who goes to UF, even if they HATE the Noles, they will tell you they come to Tallahassee frequently whereas it doesn't happen the other way around. Gainesville is awful, even though I don't mind the school UF. The law school is segregated from the undergrad campus, and in fact in a GORGEOUS part of tallahassee. G-ville is very undergrad college towny and... cough... redneck... cough. And that's coming from a Texan

Exactly. The only reason to go to G-ville is for a sporting event. Tallahassee has much more to offer.

Full disclosure: If I get in to UF, I'm going. I could not live in DC or NY, and I've my eyes set on tax law. Either way, I still think G-ville sucks. In a very major way.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Barbie wrote:I recently spoke with students at both UF and FSU. The UF students said they are getting a lot of summer opportunities, and that all the top firms are going to UF and not FSU. One of my good friends who goes to UF also said that 20k is not nearly enough incentive to choose FSU over UF, when he has learned that UF is really much better regarded in the legal community. He actually was choosing between the two and chose UF over FSU for random reasons, but said hes glad he did since he has learned all these things.

Also, I've done some research and it seems like the COL in Gainesville will be significantly less than in Tallahassee.

So, I am changing the poll and everything to see if you guys had to decide between FSU (20k) and UF (probably sticker) for me, which you would choose. Again, I appreciate all the help!!

Sidenote: I haven't ruled out Illinois, but I want to decide on a Florida school in the event that I chose to stick around (which is seeming more and more likely)

This is why I voted for Florida.
UF >>>>>> FSU

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
Barbie wrote:I recently spoke with students at both UF and FSU. The UF students said they are getting a lot of summer opportunities, and that all the top firms are going to UF and not FSU. One of my good friends who goes to UF also said that 20k is not nearly enough incentive to choose FSU over UF, when he has learned that UF is really much better regarded in the legal community. He actually was choosing between the two and chose UF over FSU for random reasons, but said hes glad he did since he has learned all these things.

Also, I've done some research and it seems like the COL in Gainesville will be significantly less than in Tallahassee.

So, I am changing the poll and everything to see if you guys had to decide between FSU (20k) and UF (probably sticker) for me, which you would choose. Again, I appreciate all the help!!

Sidenote: I haven't ruled out Illinois, but I want to decide on a Florida school in the event that I chose to stick around (which is seeming more and more likely)

This is why I voted for Florida.
UF >>>>>> FSU

LOL at "a lot" of job opportunities coming from either school. Let's not be naive

gov

Postby gov » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 pm

When I interviewed for NU in Tampa, my interviewer was more than happy to introduce me to all of the FSU grads in his office. If you do well at either school, you should be fine. While you are in Tallahassee, get out and see all of the nice neighborhoods around. I agree that UF is veeery confined and all about the school. I think Tallahassee is better and there is a lot to do in terms of having fun to going hiking.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”