What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
56
53%
FSU (20k)
50
47%
 
Total votes: 106

Curry

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby Curry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
Barbie wrote:Sidenote: I haven't ruled out Illinois, but I want to decide on a Florida school in the event that I chose to stick around (which is seeming more and more likely)


<3 you curry


I didn't read everything I missed. Thanks for the tl;dr version.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Sentry wrote:I voted UF.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm

UF.

UF is better ranked, better respected, closer to home/family for you. If Gainesville is cheaper than Tally, which makes sense, then that helps lessen the extra expense. But the difference in cost is minimal anyway, both are dirt cheap so I don't think it matters. With more recruitment at UF you are getting better return on your investment.

[If you've visited FSU, was there anything about it that attracted you to them, lifestyle or programwise? If not, UF again.]

What will your husband do if you go to UF?
Find a job in G-ville or live further away?
With a plan to go to business school he would be better off having a some good employment whilst he waits.

No idea on the Illinois option. Guess it depends if you want to move away from the southeast.
I see nothing to preclude you from practicing in Florida for a while and then moving.
A majority of firms I've looked at (in cities all over the country) have attorneys from a wide variety of schools.

I'm struggling with UF vs a higher ranked school that is further away but with considerably higher costs.(70k vs 210k)
I'm trying to do my homework on the options available after graduation, and whether the higher costs will make it worthwhile to leave Florida.
After all, you want to give yourself the best start in you legal career at graduation.

Chouchous
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Chouchous » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Knock wrote:
Sentry wrote:I voted UF.

Curry

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Curry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Chouchous wrote:
Knock wrote:
Sentry wrote:I voted UF.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:28 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?


I'm shocked posters have not told you to consider another go at the LSAT and reapply next year.


:roll: Probably because I already significantly out-performed my LSAT score, and if I did decide to retake in June and wait another ENTIRE year and did do better, I would still likely be in the exact same situation.
Sigh.


Thanks for the info everyone else! I'll be going up for a visit in 2 weeks to Tally and the following week in Gville, hoping to finalize a decision between the two then but definitly wanted some outsiders input (since obv everyone @ FSU will say FSU, and everyone @ UF will say UF).

My husband will hopefully be working if we go to UF. I have a friend or two that say they can help him try to get some kind of employment, but I'm hoping he can swindle something. He has a degree in business management so I'm guessing worst-case he tries to be a manager at a bar or restaurant (he eventually wants to open his own anyways so this wouldnt be awful) and just try to make enough to pay for our rent and living.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Top14Hope » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Bar,

I have to be honest. UF is by far the better school (and I really don't want to say that because I'm still waiting, and hope you pick FSU. )

However, you aren't alone. If you are indeed going to get married, you have to think as a family.
The 20K less debt (plus way more if you do well and threaten to leave, if they don’t up your scholarship) / chance for your husband to get into a Masters program, and the significantly greater amount of money he will make sooner rather than later because of that, less strain on your relationship, reality that you aren’t going to make more money because you went to UF and in fact could make more from FSU because of your relative strength compared to your peers, etc. All of this could literally/likely will, save you 100K, if you and your husband play it smart and efficient. 100k less debt is no joke. If you are from Florida, you know that you will be able to get a job, provided you work hard, and if you act in person the way you act on TLS, you will be loved anywhere you get hired (which will happen regardless of your choice between FSU and UF).

I’m not going to comment too much on Illinois. I know it’s already out of the picture (despite your protest). Your family, connections, and life will all be lost/changed significantly if you move to Illinois, and would quite frankly be a terrible business decision for you and your husband, and likely result in your relationships demise (a little strong lol).
Anyway, just know that whatever you pick, you will make it! Your attitude is priceless.

Hope

Edit: Most importantly, your future husband has needs. He needs to get into a Masters program ASAP. Unless, he is working at some other tight spot, which I doubt.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby DeeCee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Bar,

I have to be honest. UF is by far the better school (and I really don't want to say that because I'm still waiting, and hope you pick FSU. )

However, you aren't alone. If you are indeed going to get married, you have to think as a family.
The 20K less debt (plus way more if you do well and threaten to leave, if they don’t up your scholarship) / chance for your husband to get into a Masters program, and the significantly greater amount of money he will make sooner rather than later because of that, less strain on your relationship, reality that you aren’t going to make more money because you went to UF and in fact could make more from FSU because of your relative strength compared to your peers, etc. All of this could literally/likely will, save you 100K, if you and your husband play it smart and efficient. 100k less debt is no joke. If you are from Florida, you know that you will be able to get a job, provided you work hard, and if you act in person the way you act on TLS, you will be loved anywhere you get hired (which will happen regardless of your choice between FSU and UF).

I’m not going to comment too much on Illinois. I know it’s already out of the picture (despite your protest). Your family, connections, and life will all be lost/changed significantly if you move to Illinois, and would quite frankly be a terrible business decision for you and your husband, and likely result in your relationships demise (a little strong lol).
Anyway, just know that whatever you pick, you will make it! Your attitude is priceless.

Hope

Edit: Most importantly, your future husband has needs. He needs to get into a Masters program ASAP. Unless, he is working at some other tight spot, which I doubt.


This is everything I think as well, though I have voiced it numerous times throughout the thread. Barbie, I wish you the best.

User avatar
DrackedaryMaster
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:36 pm

I voted UF, but I really think that whichever option you chose, you'll find a way to work it for you and your husband since you seem to have good ideas for either case.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby 2011Law » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I chose UF over FSU, unless you want to do gov't work, in which case I'd do FSU over UF, especially with 28k less debt. But otherwise, 28k more in debt is not a big deal and is worth it to go to the best school in the state, which is helpful ITE.

Oh, but don't go to either one unless you're sure you want to practice in Florida.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:45 pm

University of [*state] is always better respected than [*state] State University. 50k is nothing when it comes to LS debt.

Enjoy Gainesville.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:59 pm

lisjjen wrote:University of [*state] is always better respected than [*state] State University. 50k is nothing when it comes to LS debt.

Enjoy Gainesville.


LSU duder

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby beachbum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:34 pm

rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:University of [*state] is always better respected than [*state] State University. 50k is nothing when it comes to LS debt.

Enjoy Gainesville.


LSU duder


Ohio State?

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Informative » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Don't think I could ever live near either campus as an adult. Assuming Miami isn't an option (probably the only place I would live in Florida), I would suck it up and brave it out at UF.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Informative wrote:Don't think I could ever live near either campus as an adult. Assuming Miami isn't an option (probably the only place I would live in Florida), I would suck it up and brave it out at UF.


UM sucks if you want to have a job that will enable you to repay loans.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?


I'm shocked posters have not told you to consider another go at the LSAT and reapply next year.

I've only told her this 100+ times.

But she got into UIUC this cycle with the grace of god and her financial situation at the two Florida schools won't change drastically even with a retake. Plus her husband will be helping.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?


I'm shocked posters have not told you to consider another go at the LSAT and reapply next year.

I've only told her this 100+ times.


Same. She won't listen.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:University of [*state] is always better respected than [*state] State University. 50k is nothing when it comes to LS debt.

Enjoy Gainesville.


LSU duder


You found an exception. Notice you had to tell me though because otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue.

UPenn > Penn State
UCals > Cal States
UColorado > Colorado State
UIdaho > Idaho State
UWashington > Washington State
UMinnesota > Minnesota State
UVA > Virginia State
UMich > Michigan State
UGA > Georgia State
UOregon > Oregon State

Need I continue?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:54 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?


I'm shocked posters have not told you to consider another go at the LSAT and reapply next year.

I've only told her this 100+ times.


Same. She won't listen.


TINTCR

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Not sure exactly. I do NOT want biglaw. I would love to work in a small, private practice with 5-10 lawyers max. Thats what I worked for last summer and it was wonderful. Everyone was really helpful, sweet, and worked as a team.


Based on the above, I would choose FSU. I live in Florida and, with few exceptions, my office is half FSU and half UF grads. Both schools have amazingly loyal alumni and, if you are just looking to find a small, private practice, graduating with the least amount of debt seems to be your best bet. If you stay in FL, you'll be able to find a job with a small firm, somewhere. Alumni of FSU will give you a nod over UF grads, just as UF alumni would give UF grads a nod over FSU grads. Go with the money.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 pm

lisjjen wrote:University of [*state] is always better respected than [*state] State University. 50k is nothing when it comes to LS debt.

Enjoy Gainesville.


This may be true when talking about national reach, but in a sports-crazed state like Florida, the rankings of UF and FSU don't matter. My boss is an FSU grad and he refuses to hire anyone that will work directly with him if they went to UF. I'd say the same thing goes for Arizona and Oregon, and probably most other states with only two (or two major) public schools with good athletic teams.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:06 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Not sure exactly. I do NOT want biglaw. I would love to work in a small, private practice with 5-10 lawyers max. Thats what I worked for last summer and it was wonderful. Everyone was really helpful, sweet, and worked as a team.


Based on the above, I would choose FSU. I live in Florida and, with few exceptions, my office is half FSU and half UF grads. Both schools have amazingly loyal alumni and, if you are just looking to find a small, private practice, graduating with the least amount of debt seems to be your best bet. If you stay in FL, you'll be able to find a job with a small firm, somewhere. Alumni of FSU will give you a nod over UF grads, just as UF alumni would give UF grads a nod over FSU grads. Go with the money.


28k is enough to make a decision based off of? The price of a legal education is comparable to buying a house. You could get a nice house in a gated community in NJ, or you could buy one in the Bronx. Don't mind the graffiti. You're saving 28k after all.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 pm

lisjjen wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Not sure exactly. I do NOT want biglaw. I would love to work in a small, private practice with 5-10 lawyers max. Thats what I worked for last summer and it was wonderful. Everyone was really helpful, sweet, and worked as a team.


Based on the above, I would choose FSU. I live in Florida and, with few exceptions, my office is half FSU and half UF grads. Both schools have amazingly loyal alumni and, if you are just looking to find a small, private practice, graduating with the least amount of debt seems to be your best bet. If you stay in FL, you'll be able to find a job with a small firm, somewhere. Alumni of FSU will give you a nod over UF grads, just as UF alumni would give UF grads a nod over FSU grads. Go with the money.


28k is enough to make a decision based off of? The price of a legal education is comparable to buying a house. You could get a nice house in a gated community in NJ, or you could buy one in the Bronx. Don't mind the graffiti. You're saving 28k after all.


Really? You can buy a house for 28k? Bad comparison. If she were taking $150k in loans, that'd be more comparable to buying a house. However, that's not the case. Assuming the difference between UF and FSU is $50k, that's $575/month EXTRA she'd have to pay in student loans. She's looking to get a job at a small firm. I don't care what small firm it is, if it is in Florida, rankings don't matter. UF grads hire UF, FSU grads hire FSU. It appears you are a Minnesota resident, so you probably don't have a clue how the UF/FSU dynamic works here. It's not like UF and FSU are all that different in the rankings, either. UF is a mighty 3 actual spots ahead of FSU...

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby beachbum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 pm

lisjjen wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Not sure exactly. I do NOT want biglaw. I would love to work in a small, private practice with 5-10 lawyers max. Thats what I worked for last summer and it was wonderful. Everyone was really helpful, sweet, and worked as a team.


Based on the above, I would choose FSU. I live in Florida and, with few exceptions, my office is half FSU and half UF grads. Both schools have amazingly loyal alumni and, if you are just looking to find a small, private practice, graduating with the least amount of debt seems to be your best bet. If you stay in FL, you'll be able to find a job with a small firm, somewhere. Alumni of FSU will give you a nod over UF grads, just as UF alumni would give UF grads a nod over FSU grads. Go with the money.


28k is enough to make a decision based off of? The price of a legal education is comparable to buying a house. You could get a nice house in a gated community in NJ, or you could buy one in the Bronx. Don't mind the graffiti. You're saving 28k after all.


Oh let me try! You can buy a decent house in Florida or you can buy a slightly smaller house in Florida for $28k less. Yeah?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:19 pm

beachbum wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Not sure exactly. I do NOT want biglaw. I would love to work in a small, private practice with 5-10 lawyers max. Thats what I worked for last summer and it was wonderful. Everyone was really helpful, sweet, and worked as a team.


Based on the above, I would choose FSU. I live in Florida and, with few exceptions, my office is half FSU and half UF grads. Both schools have amazingly loyal alumni and, if you are just looking to find a small, private practice, graduating with the least amount of debt seems to be your best bet. If you stay in FL, you'll be able to find a job with a small firm, somewhere. Alumni of FSU will give you a nod over UF grads, just as UF alumni would give UF grads a nod over FSU grads. Go with the money.


28k is enough to make a decision based off of? The price of a legal education is comparable to buying a house. You could get a nice house in a gated community in NJ, or you could buy one in the Bronx. Don't mind the graffiti. You're saving 28k after all.


Oh let me try! You can buy a decent house in Florida or you can buy a slightly smaller house in Florida for $28k less. Yeah?


Which one has a view of the beach and good schools?


ScrabbleChamp wrote:Really? You can buy a house for 28k?


Good thing this wasn't a RC question. That's definitely not what I said.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort and 5 guests