What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

Barbie

Re: What school would you choose?

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:08 pm

northwood wrote:Barbie: do you need to make a decision this week? I think you are possibly overanalyzing, over thinking this. Try to take a day or 2 and dont think about it. Just try to relax, and think abou the particular thing you are doing in that moment. Its a huge decision, and its one of those life altering ones. Focus on your wedding, on your hobbies, or whatever you want to focus on, and try to leave this entire thing alone for a bit. You will feel much better, and be able to digest all of the information, emotions and whatnot that you have been feeling and hearing for the past few weeks or days or so.

The reason I want to decide soon are:

1. My fiance wants to figure out his future. If I choose FSU he's going to take the GMAT and apply for one of the masters in business programs. Illinois and UF- he knows he wouldn't get accepted to either of them so he wouldn't waste the time/money. He will work and wait until I graduate and THEN get his MBA/Masters.

2. Housing. I am very, very, very picky about where I live and need to find a nice place, and know that in college towns the earlier the better. I am completely uncomfortable if I don't find the perfect place.

3. My wedding is in May, and we haven't registered yet because if we are moving to Illinois, we are going to do something I consider kind of rude and tell people of they want to give us something-- a gift card or money because we can't afford to bring all our shit. If we stay in FL, I can have a normal wedding registry.

4. Honeymoon. I can afford to take a honeymoon after my wedding if and only if I don't have to afford the move/travel to Illinois.

Some of those may seem shallow or something, but they are pretty important to me :(

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Barbie wrote:
northwood wrote:Barbie: do you need to make a decision this week? I think you are possibly overanalyzing, over thinking this. Try to take a day or 2 and dont think about it. Just try to relax, and think abou the particular thing you are doing in that moment. Its a huge decision, and its one of those life altering ones. Focus on your wedding, on your hobbies, or whatever you want to focus on, and try to leave this entire thing alone for a bit. You will feel much better, and be able to digest all of the information, emotions and whatnot that you have been feeling and hearing for the past few weeks or days or so.

The reason I want to decide soon are:

1. My fiance wants to figure out his future. If I choose FSU he's going to take the GMAT and apply for one of the masters in business programs. Illinois and UF- he knows he wouldn't get accepted to either of them so he wouldn't waste the time/money. He will work and wait until I graduate and THEN get his MBA/Masters.

2. Housing. I am very, very, very picky about where I live and need to find a nice place, and know that in college towns the earlier the better. I am completely uncomfortable if I don't find the perfect place.

3. My wedding is in May, and we haven't registered yet because if we are moving to Illinois, we are going to do something I consider kind of rude and tell people of they want to give us something-- a gift card or money because we can't afford to bring all our shit. If we stay in FL, I can have a normal wedding registry.

4. Honeymoon. I can afford to take a honeymoon after my wedding if and only if I don't have to afford the move/travel to Illinois.

Some of those may seem shallow or something, but they are pretty important to me :(

FSU is sounding better and better.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 pm

After reading parts of this thread I really get the feeling that Illinois is the least obvious choice given your personal situation and preferences. All the schools you are choosing between are amazing schools and each school will offer you the opportunity to achieve your career goals. So don't become to analytical about it and do what feels right for you personally.
I'm in a similar predicament...and sometimes the most obvious things/ viewpoints get lost when one thinks it through too many times.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:55 pm

At first I voted for Illinois but after reading on and considering your personal situation I switched my vote to FSU. Good luck in making your decision.

Trinity11

Postby Trinity11 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Barbie,
Originally I said Illinois, but now after reading your thoughts...FSU for sure. A huge perk of that is if your husbands gets into a MBA program at FSU. You will both have stressful school workloads (which can be very different than working at a job), and I think it would be easier on you two. You would "understand the other ones situation" because you will both be going through hell in school lol Also, hello less debt! Less debt=less stress on you and your husband.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:31 pm

This just popped up after submitting my FASFA:

School Name Graduation Rate Retention Rate Transfer Rate
UNIV OF ILLINOIS @ URBANA-CHAMPAIGN 83% 93% NA
FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY 71% 91% 10%
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA 82% 96% 5%

Is this for UG????

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 pm

I dont know. I didnt put much into those numbers.
Some schools dont report them- others did.

czelede

Postby czelede » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 pm

I think if you know you don't want to practice in Illinois, Illinois may not be the best decision. It is a strong school, but ITE its strength is largely regional unless you're headed for IP (which I'm assuming you aren't since you mentioned midlaw?). If the south is where you want to be, the best school in Florida at pretty much no debt is a pretty good decision.

As for the "leaving your family behind" consideration, this can be a big one as it is not easy to fly in/out of Champaign for cheap (I believe the airport there only goes to Dallas/Ft.Worth and Chicago). However, I think having your soon-to-be husband there will mitigate the difficulties of parting from your family and friends. Plus, many people do it for law school so there will be plenty of classmates that will be in your exact shoes to commiserate with you.

Other factors to consider about your law school experience:
- What do you like to do outside of law school? Are there things either city can offer you that the other can't?
- What does your fiance do? Does either location offer better employment?

ETA: lots of new posts since I opened this window to type, haha. In light of some of your other considerations, I'm tossing my vote for Florida.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

czelede wrote:I think if you know you don't want to practice in Illinois, Illinois may not be the best decision. It is a strong school, but ITE its strength is largely regional unless you're headed for IP (which I'm assuming you aren't since you mentioned midlaw?). If the south is where you want to be, the best school in Florida at pretty much no debt is a pretty good decision.

As for the "leaving your family behind" consideration, this can be a big one as it is not easy to fly in/out of Champaign for cheap (I believe the airport there only goes to Dallas/Ft.Worth and Chicago). However, I think having your soon-to-be husband there will mitigate the difficulties of parting from your family and friends. Plus, many people do it for law school so there will be plenty of classmates that will be in your exact shoes to commiserate with you.

- What do you like to do outside of law school? Are there things either city can offer you that the other can't?

ETA: lots of new posts since I opened this window to type, haha. In light of some of your other considerations, I'm tossing my vote for Florida.

You think UF @ ~16k/year > FSU @ an average of ~9k/year is a better investment? (not being snarky, seriously asking haha). And as for things we do-- rugby. Aside from that, we are normal Floridians. We fish-- a lot, and we love to BBQ, have fish frys, etc. I have NO idea what the employment prospects are for business majors in the different cities. I've tried to ask some students but most don't know, and I don't know what kind of source would provide information for this? My fiance wants to stay in Florida, because he's never lived anywhere else, but he would be happy in either place. As he says it, he's the one who is strong and I'm the one who needs to be picky and comfortable.

czelede

Postby czelede » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Barbie wrote:
czelede wrote:I think if you know you don't want to practice in Illinois, Illinois may not be the best decision. It is a strong school, but ITE its strength is largely regional unless you're headed for IP (which I'm assuming you aren't since you mentioned midlaw?). If the south is where you want to be, the best school in Florida at pretty much no debt is a pretty good decision.

You think UF @ ~16k/year > FSU @ an average of ~9k/year is a better investment? (not being snarky, seriously asking haha). And as for things we do-- rugby. Aside from that, we are normal Floridians. We fish-- a lot, and we love to BBQ, have fish frys, etc. I have NO idea what the employment prospects are for business majors in the different cities. I've tried to ask some students but most don't know, and I don't know what kind of source would provide information for this? My fiance wants to stay in Florida, because he's never lived anywhere else, but he would be happy in either place. As he says it, he's the one who is strong and I'm the one who needs to be picky and comfortable.

Oh, I actually just meant either one of the schools in Florida. They're pretty closely ranked and it's hard to tell how much a total of $21k or so would be overall - this definitely depends on the person. I'd be inclined to choose UF since it's, you know, "the best school in FL", but I suppose when you're working that close within rankings if they're both pretty strong schools I'd just go with whichever location you like better. But again, as someone who is looking at six figures of debt for law school that 21k doesn't make that much of a difference to me as it may for you, since you have the opportunity to walk away pretty much without any debt at all. Sorry my opinion is kind of useless about UF vs. FSU haha.

I honestly think you would be happy in either place, although it definitely may be easier having your network of support in FL. Champaign definitely has rugby :) but maybe you could have your fiance do a "pseudo" job search or something in Champaign just to see what kind of prospects there might be and how much it might pay. Fishing is minimal around there, though, except for maybe in the summers.

But yes. Overall, I think that if you want to stay in south-eastern secondary markets (Florida, Georgia, etc), going to a great school in FL at almost no debt is a better choice than Illinois. If you want Chicago (or see yourself maybe wanting Chicago in three years) or even NYC, take the $ at Illinois.

Chants

Postby Chants » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Last edited by Chants on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Chants wrote:My take:

I think asking your fiance to move across the country away from his comfort zone, family, etc etc. is something to consider heavily. You will be away from your support system, he will be away from his. With him searching for work, you stressed with school, both away from friends and family, etc. = possible strain on the relationship. Especially for newlyweds.

30k more in debt to go to a school that offers big law opp. in Chicago might be worth it, but you said don't want big law. Looking to work in the southeast (SC, GA) after graduation = no regional benefit to going to Illinois.

I think the idea of moving from home to feel "grown-up" and the prestige/ranking are the only reasons to consider Illinois in your situation. Neither reason warrants an extra 30k debt, especially in this legal mkt.

I vote Florida.

+1. After hearing more of your thoughts I now vote Florida, and specifically FSU.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:51 am

Hey Barbie,
I posted this previously, but I wanted to emphasize that these are regional schools, and you have to go with where you are going to be comfortable for several years. Would you be comfortable in Ill? I drove through Urbana-Champaign on a cross country trip before, and it didn't look like there was much going on. That's just my opinion (from someone born in Tampa), and obviously others would pick UIUC for many reasons. But, if you want familiarity and a decent T1, stay in FL. If you want a completely different way of life and a whole new life experience, consider UIUC. But, it seems to me like there is a lot more going for you at FSU (closeness to family, program for your future spouse, less debt). Either way, it's your decision but I vote FSU.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:24 am

Barbie, if you have any specific questions/concerns about UIUC, central Illinois, or the midwest generally, you can always PM me.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:55 am

Barbs, I love you, but this decision is a no-brainer.

ITE, go UIUC. It means you're probably relocating to the midwest for good, but you'll get used to the cold. The difference in job opportunities is enormous. You've worked hard and overcome a great deal, and even you would admit that the UIUC admittance - and THEN the $ offer - was an unexpected gift.

Take it. <3

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 am

DeeCee wrote:Hey Barbie,
I posted this previously, but I wanted to emphasize that these are regional schools, and you have to go with where you are going to be comfortable for several years. Would you be comfortable in Ill? I drove through Urbana-Champaign on a cross country trip before, and it didn't look like there was much going on. That's just my opinion (from someone born in Tampa), and obviously others would pick UIUC for many reasons. But, if you want familiarity and a decent T1, stay in FL. If you want a completely different way of life and a whole new life experience, consider UIUC. But, it seems to me like there is a lot more going for you at FSU (closeness to family, program for your future spouse, less debt). Either way, it's your decision but I vote FSU.

Completely changing your life experiences can be very disrupting. If you dont like it, you can easily become very miserable, and regret the decision. If you were to go this route, I would spend a week or so in the area- get ahotel with a kitchen, and try to live like you currently do. If you can make the stransition smoothly, then its a good option. If you find yourself having to change a lot- then maybe its not the best choice. I can tell you from experience, that moving across country and into a totally different environment can be a very miserable choice. After the first week, when the newness and excitement wore off, i hated it. I became the most miserable person in the world, and began to view the entire thing as a prison sentence. I ended up moving back to my home city after 10 months. Unfortunately, with law school- it can and may possibly be much harder if not impossible to move to UF or FSU.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 am

Hey Barbie, just felt like weighing in real quick since you mentioned your husband's situation.

I was in the UG business program at Florida State so I know the facilities/professors pretty well. It's a pretty great place, and there are some really world-class teachers and doctoral students. For the price, I'd definitely recommend it.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 pm

I recently spoke with students at both UF and FSU. The UF students said they are getting a lot of summer opportunities, and that all the top firms are going to UF and not FSU. One of my good friends who goes to UF also said that 20k is not nearly enough incentive to choose FSU over UF, when he has learned that UF is really much better regarded in the legal community. He actually was choosing between the two and chose UF over FSU for random reasons, but said hes glad he did since he has learned all these things.

Also, I've done some research and it seems like the COL in Gainesville will be significantly less than in Tallahassee.

So, I am changing the poll and everything to see if you guys had to decide between FSU (20k) and UF (probably sticker) for me, which you would choose. Again, I appreciate all the help!!

Sidenote: I haven't ruled out Illinois, but I want to decide on a Florida school in the event that I chose to stick around (which is seeming more and more likely)

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Barbie wrote:I recently spoke with students at both UF and FSU. The UF students said they are getting a lot of summer opportunities, and that all the top firms are going to UF and not FSU. One of my good friends who goes to UF also said that 20k is not nearly enough incentive to choose FSU over UF, when he has learned that UF is really much better regarded in the legal community. He actually was choosing between the two and chose UF over FSU for random reasons, but said hes glad he did since he has learned all these things.

Also, I've done some research and it seems like the COL in Gainesville will be significantly less than in Tallahassee.

So, I am changing the poll and everything to see if you guys had to decide between FSU (20k) and UF (probably sticker) for me, which you would choose. Again, I appreciate all the help!!

Sidenote: I haven't ruled out Illinois, but I want to decide on a Florida school in the event that I chose to stick around (which is seeming more and more likely)

In light of what you found out about UF, I voted UF this time around(as opposed to FSU in the last poll). I chose FSU last time due to the scholly and opportunities for your fiance, but from what you've said here and in other posts about your dislike of Tallahassee, the COL, and the fact that UF is more highly regarded, I feel like UF would be the best Florida school choice for you. Best of luck!

Barbie

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?

I'm shocked posters have not told you to consider another go at the LSAT and reapply next year.

Curry

Postby Curry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:08 pm

so you've ruled out UIUC?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Barbie wrote:Sidenote: I haven't ruled out Illinois, but I want to decide on a Florida school in the event that I chose to stick around (which is seeming more and more likely)

<3 you curry

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:14 pm

I voted UF.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I vote FSU. its a good school- number 2 in the state, and with the location in the capital city there is a lot of potential for internships. Plus at the price, you will be able to graduate with less debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”