What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

Chouchous

Bronze

Re: What school would you choose?

Post by Chouchous » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:02 am

voted FSU- the least debt --> more flexibility in your job search. Plus Florida is where you have all your connections already, so why give that up to attend Illinois.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?

1. OP is from Florida
2. OP's entire network of support is in Florida
3. OP is facing very manageable debt loads at the two best schools in Florida
4. The main market that Illinois feeds into has been hit HARD by the economic downturn. Students from much better schools are having serious trouble getting jobs there.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked UF or FSU. Blindly following the rankings isn't wise. Especially when you aren't talking about schools that don't have the type of prestige/history/alumni network/door opening power of t10's.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:11 am

Aqualibrium wrote:

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?

1. OP is from Florida
2. OP's entire network of support is in Florida
3. OP is facing very manageable debt loads at the two best schools in Florida
4. The main market that Illinois feeds into has been hit HARD by the economic downturn. Students from much better schools are having serious trouble getting jobs there.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked UF or FSU. Blindly following the rankings isn't wise. Especially when you aren't talking about schools that don't have the type of prestige/history/alumni network/door opening power of t10's.
Highlighted because, to be fair, the state of FL is in pretty dire straits as well.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 am

NoleinNY wrote:Highlighted because, to be fair, the state of FL is in pretty dire straits as well.
Credited.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 am

NoleinNY wrote:
Highlighted because, to be fair, the state of FL is in pretty dire straits as well.
True, but those five factors still conspire to make UF & FSU better bets than UIUC, even despite Florida's own economic struggles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:21 am

outside t-14 the rules change. I voted UF, not only because I hate FSU, but I think you will have some pretty good options (given you do well)

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:24 am

i had no idea that illinois was ranked higher than UF until i clicked on this thread...of those 3, i would choose UF...but i love that school more than almost anyone you'll ever meet and *still* am not going there for law school largely because my friends there now are having a really hard time finding jobs. it's probably easier to get a job in FL out of UF than from almost any other law school though. the legal market in Florida just isn't pretty right now. on the other hand, they *are* having as much fun as i'd imagine one can have in law school anddd law students are practically guaranteed season football tickets every fall.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 am

Something I've been wondering is what're the odds Illinois stays up at 21? They were 27 last time- another jump would be mind boggling- what caused the move up 6 spots?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 am

UF tuition has been rising rapidly, so your COA is likely a sizable underestimate, it'll likely end up at least 50-60k.
An extra 20-30k for Illinois is a good deal, go for UIUC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:45 am

I voted FSU. Being close to family and doctors combined with little debt > More debt, being away from support system, more competitive market.

Best of luck in your decision, Barbie.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:41 am

Regardless of your decision, Barb, you'll always have that gorgeous flash drive.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Something I've been wondering is what're the odds Illinois stays up at 21? They were 27 last time- another jump would be mind boggling- what caused the move up 6 spots?
I'm thinking it's more likely to go up again. A lot of people ITE are taking the scholly money and running rather than going with prestige.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Something I've been wondering is what're the odds Illinois stays up at 21? They were 27 last time- another jump would be mind boggling- what caused the move up 6 spots?
I'm thinking it's more likely to go up again. A lot of people ITE are taking the scholly money and running rather than going with prestige.
If you are willing to pay a lot per student and pay a lot in merit aid to go after the best students possible, your ranking will likely go up, given that a part of the US News formula is how much $ the school spends per student.

And in this economy, I have a feeling people are being more debt averse than they would if the economy was good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Hannibal wrote:

The real question here is, if UIUC rises, stays the same, or falls to their traditional place in the ranking, what changes about it?

It's still in Illinois, it's main feeder market is still Chicago, and it is still at the very least the #3 area school in the minds of Chicago employers. So what changes besides a number on a magazine page?

We look way too hard at these rankings. Georgia, Alabama, Colorado, and OSU can rise and fall and stay the same all they want. In the end, to quote Denny Green, "they are who we thought they were!" That is they are solid regional schools that will never have the national placement or prestige of many of the historically "better" programs. Even amongst themselves, very little changes. You'd be a fool to think that a change in the rankings would cause Georgia employers to hire more Alabama grads than UGA grads, or that Colorado employers would ever hire more OSU grads than Colorado grads.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I voted FSU, but this is a really tough one. I think you can make a strong case for Illinois based on 1) Illinois has a lot more portability and can open up a lot of different markets with decent grades and 2) Florida's legal market is atrocious right now. But your ties to Florida, the low debt, and your proximity to family make FSU the slightly better call. But this is really a tough question, IMO.

And seriously, retake.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Barbie, you should edit the poll to allow people to change their votes if they'd like.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:13 pm

I cannot stand Gainesville - so personal bias alone leaves out UF. Where would you like to work and what kind?? I have spent 5 years in Tally, and while it isn't the best place ever, it is def. bearable for 3 years. Lots of nice houses too if you are willing to drive :) I have friends in the LS and the love the classes/profs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:I voted FSU, but this is a really tough one. I think you can make a strong case for Illinois based on 1) Illinois has a lot more portability and can open up a lot of different markets with decent grades and 2) Florida's legal market is atrocious right now. But your ties to Florida, the low debt, and your proximity to family make FSU the slightly better call. But this is really a tough question, IMO.

And seriously, retake.
lol. I hate you. Even if I got a few points higher on the LSAT I have a feeling I'd still be between these schools.

I don't particularly want to work in FL for the rest of my life, though. I feel like Florida is NOT where I want to raise a family, because it has awful school systems, is hot as balls, doesn't feel homey at all with no seasons, etc etc etc. I happen to have visted Illinois at its coldest week of the year apparently, which I think scared me away a tad. I'm really struggling with this, especially as my fiance really needs to know where we are going so that he can dive head first into the job market. UF is probably the best school in Florida, and my fiance is a HUGE GATORS FAN, but FSU is the best debt-wise (even though neither of us are fans of Tallahassee.. ew). I really appreciate all the input. I am going to find out if I could negotiate a penny out of UF (probably not but worth a try). Any more input is similarly appreciated!

Even though, all the comments are for UF/FSU but the poll is for Illinois. Weird

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Barbie, you should edit the poll to allow people to change their votes if they'd like.
Just for you ;)

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Barbs, if one of your biggest concerns about UIUC is weather, don't let it be. In 6 months, it'll be 90+ and humid. I personally love having all four seasons.

And if raising a family is a concern, midwest FTW.

I don't know if I've ever asked you this, but what do you want to do with your law degree?

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Barbie wrote:
lol. I hate you. Even if I got a few points higher on the LSAT I have a feeling I'd still be between these schools.

I don't particularly want to work in FL for the rest of my life, though. I feel like Florida is NOT where I want to raise a family, because it has awful school systems, is hot as balls, doesn't feel homey at all with no seasons, etc etc etc. I happen to have visted Illinois at its coldest week of the year apparently, which I think scared me away a tad. I'm really struggling with this, especially as my fiance really needs to know where we are going so that he can dive head first into the job market. UF is probably the best school in Florida, and my fiance is a HUGE GATORS FAN, but FSU is the best debt-wise (even though neither of us are fans of Tallahassee.. ew). I really appreciate all the input. I am going to find out if I could negotiate a penny out of UF (probably not but worth a try). Any more input is similarly appreciated!

Even though, all the comments are for UF/FSU but the poll is for Illinois. Weird

Tallahassee is not that bad - and waay more fun than Gainesville ;) Anyway, it seems like it may be better to go to Illinois if you do not want to work in FL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:Barbs, if one of your biggest concerns about UIUC is weather, don't let it be. In 6 months, it'll be 90+ and humid. I personally love having all four seasons.

And if raising a family is a concern, midwest FTW.

I don't know if I've ever asked you this, but what do you want to do with your law degree?
Not sure exactly. I do NOT want biglaw. I would love to work in a small, private practice with 5-10 lawyers max. Thats what I worked for last summer and it was wonderful. Everyone was really helpful, sweet, and worked as a team.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:48 pm

I would love if some of the people who voted Illinois would chime in :D :D :D Pls?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Barbie wrote:I would love if some of the people who voted Illinois would chime in :D :D :D Pls?
It is simply a better school that provides better biglaw and geography options. But for your situation (no biglaw interest and FL ties), you would likely be just as well served at UF or FSU for cheaper.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Barbie wrote:I would love if some of the people who voted Illinois would chime in :D :D :D Pls?
It is simply a better higher ranked school that provides better biglaw and geography options. But for your situation (no biglaw interest and FL ties), you would likely be just as well served at UF or FSU for cheaper.
ftfy

Also, geography point is debatable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”