What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

Barbie

Gold

Re: What school would you choose?

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

You guys make a lot of good points. As for my comfort zone, I know its kind of being a baby, and a few years ago I probably wouldn't have thought twice. Ever since I was diagnosed a few years back I've become a BIG worrier-- like something really bad is going to happen or something will be wrong with me and in Illinois I'll be too far from everyone who can help me. In fact, I had an anxiety attack for 3 hours last night (the whole 9 yards, racing heartbeat, throwing up, shaking like crazy) and my fiance had to stay up with me and try to calm me down. Trying to make this huge decision and plan a big wedding among other things in my life has pushed me over the edge. My fiance has NEVER lived anywhere but Florida. I lived in north Georgia for a few years, but have lived in Florida since the beginning of highschool. I have ties to Georgia as well (my extended family all lives there, half of whom are lawyers) and wouldn't mind going there after I graduate... hoping a UF or FSU degree could travel there. I really want to find out of UF will negotiate a small scholarship, because that would help weigh in their favor over the almost debt-free FSU (I can extend the 20k scholarship to 30k my third year pending good grades). I really appreciate all the help up and advice you guys have offered to me.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:FSU. Florida, then Illinois.

Nobody can answer this question but you. I am surprised that Alabama & Georgia aren't in the running. $75,000 of debt is too much compared to your other options. I doubt that you'll want to settle in the Midwest with both of your families in Florida. Law school classmates are valuable lifelong professional contacts. Unfortunately, I think that you may have received too much personal attention. My best guess is that after one academic year at Illinois, transfer applications will be in the works.
What do you mean personal attention? In my academics? And I didn't apply to Bama and things are not looking good for UGA (almost certainly a ding) so... thats why heh.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 am

One thing I'd add Barbie is that your connections to Georgia and other places in the South will make work in South a viable option for you with a UF/FSU degree and solid grades (top 25% to be safe). You'll need to find the firms and do all the leg work, but it's something you should explore.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:31 pm

If all three law schools were ranked the same, then which one would you attend ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If all three law schools were ranked the same, then which one would you attend ?
Well I don't look at rankings as much as overall prestige of the school, but if this was equal across the board... Either FSU or UF probs. I don't want to live in Tally perse, but I <3 me some cheap tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:46 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:Depends what u want. Illinois is the better school with connections to Chicago. UF has the hotter chics and connections around florida. If u don't mind chicago and have a gf, probably illinois. If you're single and hate the cold/not prefer chicago/etc, pick UF
lol I can't tell if you're serious....
1. Barbie= a guy? really? lol
2. I'll be married by the time law school starts.
3. As someone who frequents gainesvegas, the girls are definitly pretty, but no prettier than every other big public Florida school ;)

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Sometimes you wonder if this fight thread is worthwhile
The precious moments comments are all lost in the tide, yeah
They're swept away and nothing is what it seems
The feeling of belonging--to your dreams...

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Just wanted to post a pic I just took with my phone that shows one of Florida's upsides:

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Barbie, I would go to the school in the region that you think you would be happiest at. If you want out of Florida, this is your chance. If you don't, stay and take FSU or see if UF will give you more $$ based on offers from UIUC and FSU.

It is a difficult choice, and one you don't have to make overnight. Try and talk to students at UIUC. See if any of the ones from OOS also were unsure of leaving their families, friends, etc. I was hesitant about going far during undergrad and I wanted to run. I regret that now, but everyone is different. I knew I always wanted out of So Cal.

The cold is a big adjustment. My older sister went to BU and moved back to So Cal after 6 years because she could no longer take the cold. But others love having seasons, seeing the leaves on the tree change colors, and having snow on the ground in the winter.

Additionally, I also believe school is a good chance to go somewhere else because you will have a built in support system with your peers at the law school, some of them who will be going through exactly what you are going through. It's not like moving for a job where you won't know anyone.

Anyways, I didn't vote because in this situation you should go with your heart.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

luckyme wrote:Sometimes you wonder if this fight thread is worthwhile
The precious moments comments are all lost in the tide, yeah
They're swept away and nothing is what it seems
The feeling of belonging--to your dreams...
queenlizzie13 wrote: Anyways, I didn't vote because in this situation you should go with listen to your heart.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:29 pm

:( my heart is confused

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:30 pm

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think UF should definitely be crossed off the list. FSU might be a very small notch below UF, but certainly not enough to justify the extra debt.

The call is yours between FSU and Illinois, based on your career goals and preferred region.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Attending a regional law school is not the best way to experience another part of the country unless you are confident that you would like to live in that region.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Attending a regional law school is not the best way to experience another part of the country unless you are confident that you would like to live in that region.
Here's the thing. I don't REALLY want to live in Florida OR Illinois for the rest of my life, unless I miraculously adjust to the cold weather in Illinois. I'd like to end up somewhere in the east between the two actually. Mild weather. Good to raise a family. What school would travel more into Georgia, or the Carolinas? Can UF arguable travel to Atlanta or South Carolina a few years after graduation?

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Barbie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Attending a regional law school is not the best way to experience another part of the country unless you are confident that you would like to live in that region.
Here's the thing. I don't REALLY want to live in Florida OR Illinois for the rest of my life, unless I miraculously adjust to the cold weather in Illinois. I'd like to end up somewhere in the east between the two actually. Mild weather. Good to raise a family. What school would travel more into Georgia, or the Carolinas? Can UF arguable travel to Atlanta or South Carolina a few years after graduation?
haven't you been accepted to wake?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Barbie wrote:
If you do really well, UF regularly places into King & Spalding and Sutherland. That being said, Atlanta is going to be tougher, especially if you don't have connections to the area. I know a girl who received a couple of offers from Atlanta firms through targeted mailings, and I am sure she's not alone. Just remember though, if you are applying to a region you aren't from originally, it is going to be an uphill battle. I know nothing about UF's South Carolina placement, nor do I know anyone who wants to/does work there.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Barbie wrote:
Not really. Law isn't a particularly mobile field because you usually end up working wherever you take the bar exam; and that would most likely be in IL or FL from UIUC or UF/FSU. If you want to be in GA or the Carolinas, you have to go to school there (UGA, Emory, UNC, Wake, South Carolina, etc.). None of these schools are going to travel where you want them to.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm

I don't know the recruiting patterns at either up-and-coming FSU or Florida.
I understand your desire to experience another part of the country, unfortunately none of the presented options seem satisfactory in that respect if you aren't interested in the midwest or Florida.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:44 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Barbie wrote:
If you do really well, UF regularly places into King & Spalding and Sutherland. That being said, Atlanta is going to be tougher, especially if you don't have connections to the area. I know a girl who received a couple of offers from Atlanta firms through targeted mailings, and I am sure she's not alone. Just remember though, if you are applying to a region you aren't from originally, it is going to be an uphill battle. I know nothing about UF's South Carolina placement, nor do I know anyone who wants to/does work there.
I am from Georgia and a lot of my family still lives there, a few of whom are lawyers and said they could help introduce me to people, etc...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Then do well at FSU or Florida or Illinois & use your connections. You will be qualified to sit for the bar exam in any of the 50 states, US Territories or US Possessions from any of the three law schools.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:47 pm

keg411 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Not really. Law isn't a particularly mobile field because you usually end up working wherever you take the bar exam; and that would most likely be in IL or FL from UIUC or UF/FSU. If you want to be in GA or the Carolinas, you have to go to school there (UGA, Emory, UNC, Wake, South Carolina, etc.). None of these schools are going to travel where you want them to.
I wish those were options. UGA, Emory are for sure not happening. UNC I haven't heard from but I'm predicting auto-ding, and Wake didn't offer me any $ and I just can't justify spending 100k there instead of the options I've listed. Georgia is my preferred market because thats where I was raised originally. I still somewhat consider Atlanta home, and will always have a support system there because all of my aunts/uncles/godparents live there.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Barbie wrote:I am from Georgia and a lot of my family still lives there, a few of whom are lawyers and said they could help introduce me to people, etc...
There are a decent amount of UF alums who live and work in Ga. Martindale shows ~600. If you are really interested you should definitely get into contact with one or two, ask them about the job search process and UF's placement into Atlanta and surrounding markets. A quick martindale search for South Carolina shows very, very few UF alums working there. I don't think many people choose UF for SC, though.

For purposes of comparison, a search on martindale for FSU alumni yields 230. A search for University of Illinois alumni yields 63.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Barbie: do you need to make a decision this week? I think you are possibly overanalyzing, over thinking this. Try to take a day or 2 and dont think about it. Just try to relax, and think abou the particular thing you are doing in that moment. Its a huge decision, and its one of those life altering ones. Focus on your wedding, on your hobbies, or whatever you want to focus on, and try to leave this entire thing alone for a bit. You will feel much better, and be able to digest all of the information, emotions and whatnot that you have been feeling and hearing for the past few weeks or days or so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”