What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

Barbie

Gold

What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Post by Barbie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 pm

So, I'm pretty sure of where I want to go... but the doubts keep creeping up and I wanted some honest advice. What would you do if these were your options? Keep in mind I would be paying primarily just tuition because my husband will pay rent and other needs as much as he can afford.

Illinois- OOS, 15k/year scholly so... @ 75k debt
UF- IS, sticker... @ 48k debt
FSU- IS, 20k total scholly... @ 20k debt

Where do I want to practice? I have no freaking clue. Illinois was admittedly freakishly cold, but Florida is freakishly hot. I'll have to suck it up either way. Florida is closer to mine and my fiance's families and friends, which is a plus, as well as my doctors.

I would appreciate your advice :D
Last edited by Barbie on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Curry

Re: What school would you choose?

Post by Curry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Dean Pless loves you. Go to Illinois.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 pm

I'd make a poll.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Knock wrote:I'd make a poll.
Done :)

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm

No <3 for Wake? :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 pm

snapdragon wrote:No <3 for Wake? :(
No $ = No <3 :(

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Barbie wrote:So, I'm pretty sure of where I want to go... but the doubts keep creeping up and I wanted some honest advice.
Post where you're pretty sure about & I'll offer my, er, honest advice.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I say Uf or FSU. ( not that much of a help) Go to which one you like better. Being close to family is definately a plus. Its a lot easier to get used to the heat( and you are from the south) than the cold. My sister in law ( and my brother) just moved to RI from Florida, and she hates it. She hates it so bad, that even though they moved because she had a great job offer ( and he just transferred from one branch to another so he can transfer back), tehy will be moving back as soon as she gets another job. Now, you can aclimate a whole lot easier than her, but its somethign to think about. Plus you have connections in fla allready, and you can utlize them a whole lot more from either school. If you go to Illinois, firms may think that you are a flight risk, because you have spent so much time in the south. In florida, you will be an asset.

To me, you have a lot of great fondation work in florida, but you really like the idea of going someplace else, and trying life out in a new region( which is fine). However, you seem hesitant in leaving- and might regret it. You dont have to make up ur mind tomorrow do you? Weigh the pros and cons out, and listen to what you are saying and writing, and what your husband is saying and telling you. Whatever that choice is, will be the best choice for you.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I voted U. Illinois.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
snapdragon wrote:No <3 for Wake? :(
No $ = No <3 :(
I get that.

I'm voting Illinois because you have a strong connection to FL, and if you really really want to bring the degree back there after grad or later, you may have a shot. I feel like if you stay in FL you'll always be questioning what could've been (I may be projecting here, since I went to UG in my home state and am nervous about going to law school there for the same reason).

FSU or UF would also be great choices, though. I don't think you have a bad option here.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Knock wrote:I voted U. Illinois.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:01 pm

I'd choose Illinois, but thats mainly because I hate the state of Florida. In your case however, FSU sounds like the best option

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 pm

FSU. It seems like it's connections in state government would give you some good options. With that low debt load you'd have a lot more flexibility and wouldn't be stuck needing a high paying job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 pm

I'd say FSU @ 20k debt. COL is low and QOL is good in Tallahassee. The government connections can't hurt (although I'm not sure the extent to which attending FSU actually puts you at an advantage).

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Illinois!

Florida is a POS state thats not going to economically recover for years. Plus, the new governor has promised to fire state workers and slash the budget. This means theres a high possibility that getting a legal job with the state/a local city will be tough as hell, if not impossible.

Illinois has more upside.

Good luck Barbie!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Even though I visited Illinois for obvious reasons, I think if being close to your family is important to you then UF is TCR.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 pm

I voted FSU because I think you should go there...so I would like to change my vote to Illinois, which is where I would go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 pm

I'll say FSU. Illinois is a fine school, but I don't think it has particularly strong ties to any major markets. Chicago's terribly difficult to get into ITE; UChi and NW grads are having a tough time, plus you have to compete against ND and other T14s for placement. FSU offers the least amount of debt, decent job prospects in FL, and proximity to your family/doctors. FYI, I'm deciding between schools, too, and I'm leaning to the one in my hometown (a T20) over some other highly-ranked schools because of the family/friends argument.
Last edited by ATR on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 am

Sub-80k debt is fairly manageable, especially when Illinois is a pretty damn good school.

When people start talking about 120, 130k+ debt is when decisions really need to be thought out.

I say Illinois based on the (relatively) low debt load. Also, a happy student is more often than not a successful student. You know what I'm talking about there.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 am

You have better connections to Florida, I'd suggest one of the Florida schools. FSU and UF are pretty on par, that's a decision you have to make. I am not sure how FSU students did this year, but UF students that are from Florida are doing alright.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:17 am

Thanks everyone. You guys pretty much represent my entire debate. The school I've been leaning towards is Illinois. It's VERY scary going off on your own, even though I'll have my husband with me. I'm also scared about going into the school as the runt of the litter-- with my lower LSAT score. It's a lot to think about. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:41 am

dont worry about your lsat when you start law school. The test is used to get you into school, once you are there its up to you as to how you will succeed. Have confidence in yourself. You are obviously bright enough to get into some great schools, and be offered some great scholarships- so why wont you be successful? You might not be at the pinnacle of your class, but the more confidence you have in yourself, the better.( just be realistic about your expectations)

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 am

If you want to be in the North, pick Illinois...

However, you seem to want the South (particularly FL). As others have said, FSU and UF are about on par with each other. Thus, Go Noles.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:54 am

ATR wrote:I'll say FSU. Illinois is a fine school, but I don't think it has particularly strong ties to any major markets. Chicago's terribly difficult to get into ITE; UChi and NW grads are having a tough time, plus you have to compete against ND and other T14s for placement. FSU offers the least amount of debt, decent job prospects in FL, and proximity to your family/doctors.

I agree with this completely.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 am

Wow. I am shocked more people aren't going for Illinois.

Don't ranks matter anymore? Is this the freaking twilight zone of TLS that I stumbled into?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”