What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU?

UF
53%
FSU (20k)
47%

Total votes: 106

Grizz

Diamond

Re: What school would you choose?

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
Ur actually right. I doubt they get "a lot" but it's definitely more than FSU.
In the boom times, UF's OCI was looking better than FSU. Even then, you had to be top 15% to have a realistic chance at OCI placement (they were reporting right around 10% of the class at the NLJ). That was in the boom times. ITE it's realistic for anyone coming into FSU/UF to find jobs almost exclusively through networking, and that renders the power of job opportunity of either school negligible when pitted against each other.
Yes, it's great that big firms come to UF that don't come to FSU, it's also irrelevant when they don't hire anyone because that kid from UVA who grew up in Tampa struck out in DC and decided to take one of the two SA positions for that firm, leaving them with the job of holding courtesy interviews for UF law review kids.
I agree. But I DO predict the market for lawyers will be better 3 years from now. Dunno why but I'm banking on it. Either way, relatively low debt at UF/UF is still THE major law school in Florida makes it a clear win. The Florida bar is really tough in order to preserve the market for grads from Florida schools.
It will get better. But it will never get a LOT better. Florida is already looking at a crippling over-saturation of law school graduates with no out of state portability who will flock to literally any job that opens up. It's an incredibly depressing scene (both me and goft are hunting in it right now.)
I think at this stage in the game, minimizing debt is going to be absolutely the key, because employment is a absurd uphill battle, and the smaller the debt waiting in the wings the better.
As a fellow Floridian, I agree in re the level of suck.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 pm

rad law wrote:
Florida's evolved into a foreclosure based economy... plenty of opportunities in property law at least.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 pm

rman1201 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Florida's evolved into a foreclosure based economy... plenty of opportunities in property law at least.
Foreclosure law runs on the "mill" based system. Get paralegals to do most of the work, kick back and enjoy.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 pm

rad law wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Foreclosure law runs on the "mill" based system. Get paralegals to do most of the work, kick back and enjoy.
Bankruptcy, too. I know a guy that just does bankruptcies and makes a killing, and he works all of 10 hours a week. He just has his paralegals do all the forms, and he interviews the clients for 15 minutes, and boom, he's done.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Barbie wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote: Wow.. This does not bode well. Either way, your debt load I'm sure is NOT that heavy. $90K debt is manageable even with a $50K a year job. You have hindsight to share with us though. Would you do it again or choose a T25 or higher at a higher tuition near sticker?
Curious ab this too.
My debt is only going to be my tuition (assuming hubby finds ANY job) so I'm looking at @ 30k for FSU or @ 50k for UF. Debt in general scares me because a few years after law school I'm going to want to take a few years off (I think...) and start a family. Bah... idk..
I personally would not be going to a T25, or the school I am at anyways, at sticker. There's just too much risk. I might have considered UF or FSU at full scholarship, but more realistically I would have just taken another career path.

Barbie, if you do have a lot of contacts willing to help you get your foot in the door going in, then I would ask them if FSU v. UF means anything to them, they're the opinions that matter. No two hiring situations are the same, and if they are the ones who are going to be helping you then you need to take their advice, not ours. If they don't think it will make a substantial difference, then obviously get your lower debt on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Skyhook

Bronze

Re: What school would you choose? (New Poll: FSU or UF)

Post by Skyhook » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Seems like you both want to stay in Florida.
Why go to Illinois and be so far away when it makes little to no difference in employment chances?

Barbs has good connections in Florida, so networking doesn't seem to be a problem. The edge of employment chances would still have to go to UF then, even if it is really minor.

How about some "softs"...

Husband employment
Haven't been to Tally, but my impression of G-ville was there were a lot of bars, etc.
So, if husband is looking for management of bar/restaurant, is G-ville the better option or does Tally have more to offer?

Distance
I've spent a great deal of time commuting, frankly it sucks. Once you get over a threshold it becomes quite tiring. If Barbs needs to visit Tampa, or husband J-ville, then those extra hours matter.
I can pop to Gainesville from Tampa pretty quickly. I could not do that for Tallahassee. Recovery time from travelling is a factor.

Quality of life
Husband in big Gator fan. Why wouldn't you make him happy for three years and go to UF! Not sure how many people get tickets, but you'll definitely be able to go to some games.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

least debt

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:yeah, I was being a bit hyperbolic. But I think the point (and let me know if you disagree with this) is that 93+% of the kids from UF are going to have to network and find jobs outside of school provided career services. Probably 95+% of kids from FSU are going to have to do the same thing. So UF holds and advantage, but it's not realistic for anyone coming in to expect to actually utilize that advantage.
93% might be a bit high of an estimate, but coming into UF, career services warned that "80% of students are going to get their jobs through networking, not OCI". That might be a low ball estimate in this economy. Realize, though, that UF's alumni network is tremendously larger/more prominent in Florida that FSU's. This means there are more opportunities to network and more people looking to network with and ultimately hire UF grads. So, I tend to disagree, I think it's pretty legitimate to think that having access to one of the largest legal alumni networks in the country is not going to give you at least a bit of an advantage. How much you make of that advantage is up to you, but attending UF definitely puts you in a beneficial position in that regard.

That being said, know people who have gotten jobs through networking, mass mailing, targeted mailings, OCI, etc.

In general though, learning to network effectively is really important, especially in secondary markets. I think that anyone going to law school should not be going with the mindset that they're going to get a job without at least a bit of networking, although I guess people at top schools don't have to worry about it as much.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm

your so should look into some entry level office jobs if he doesn't have management experience, every guy with a bachelors in business wants to manage a bar and its not as easy as it seems

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 pm

mistergoft wrote:although I guess people at top schools don't have to worry about it as much.
I should have been an actuary :|

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Take the lower debt for sure.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:15 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
rad law wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Bankruptcy, too. I know a guy that just does bankruptcies and makes a killing, and he works all of 10 hours a week. He just has his paralegals do all the forms, and he interviews the clients for 15 minutes, and boom, he's done.
I think the real question is whether you believe bankruptcy and foreclosure law will be as big as it is now, 3-4 YEARS FROM NOW? Banks are getting more stringent with their loans which would make bankruptcy's less rare in the future.

I say either find a niche or network like crazy if you decide on ANY of those schools. I'm personally heavily debating Florida but really because I am seriously considering their tax law program. FSU doesn't even have that as a fall-back.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59 pm

dr123 wrote:your so should look into some entry level office jobs if he doesn't have management experience, every guy with a bachelors in business wants to manage a bar and its not as easy as it seems
He has management experience.. but like I said he would take really anything that pays, including office jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 am

Barbie, I would agree with asking the lawyers you know where they think you should go (UF v. FSU). Otherwise, it sounds like you really prefer UF (as does your husband who is paying COL). The talk of BigLaw and OCI in this thread makes zero sense since you want a Small Firm job and I doubt there is much of a difference between UF/FSU in terms of that type of employment since it's all about networking and getting experience anyway.

BTW, I have been to both Tally and Gainesville and hated them both. Then again, I'm a UM grad :P :lol:.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 am

I think one of the most important points she keeps reiterating is her desire to do mid-law. She already has connections in the legal field, and I think many of the posters are overstating the difference between UF and FSU when it comes to this type of law. Given her career aspirations and already established connections (see her father) she is best off by attending the school that gives her the best chance at academic success and QOL over the next few years. The area she is in and the students she attends with will have more of a bearing on her future than a couple of spots in rankings.

My recommendation is to really put a lot of stock into your visits to both schools. Get a feel for the vibe and which will give YOU the best chance to succeed, from the environment to the students. I personally have the same career ambitions and feel like the pleasantness of the law school student body at FSU will do more for my ability to succeed than the cutthroat reputation of "the best law school in Florida".

I want to thank everyone for their input. I have literally the exact same offers from these two schools as my final two choices and the information in this topic has been invaluable. I am still leaning towards FSU but I will not know a damn thing until I see the best both schools have to offer, as I put no real credence in the rankings when it comes to my career goals.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:26 am

Oh man, I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say, Good luck with this decisions Barbs <333

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 pm

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:First of all, you need to take a deep breath and maybe consider taking a wee bit of a break from this place.

Last visited: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 pm
Total posts: 5395
[0.36% of all posts / 21.93 posts per day]
Search user’s posts

You're faced with two really good options. It's not like you are choosing between a North Korean labor camp vs. Mexican Prison. These are good problems to have.
Take the visits and go with what your gut tells you.

I was faced with a very similar situation as yourself and ended up choosing FSU over UF, in spite of the fact that it was the school I had my heart set on, being a giant gator fan, having a support network in Gainesville...etc. No matter where you end up, you'll likely be quite satisfied with your choice a few months into classes; you'll end up looking back on hysteria and laughing at yourself.

But first and foremost, take a chill pill. It'll all work out.
Thanks for stalking contributing... Whyd you choose FSU over UF?

Also, I spend most my time being a cool kid :lol: in the lounge, not actually worrying about which law school to choose (mind you, I also have no hourly job and don't go to school right now). Stressing about choosing a law school is normal.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Lololol. Just because there are 9 pages ITT doesn't mean it's 9 pages of Barbie going "ZOMG WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry:"

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Pleasye wrote:Lololol. Just because there are 9 pages ITT doesn't mean it's 9 pages of Barbie going "ZOMG WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry:"
:lol: No, probably just 1-2 pages of that! :mrgreen:

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:02 pm

lawschoolstudent85:

This is Barbie's thread......she has a right to respond and make her decision however she chooses. She doesn't need you being negative posting her stats like she doesn't realize how many posts she has. I'm sure most of us don't care if she has 5000 posts or if that equals to 21 a day, we are just answering the question she is asking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Top14Hope

Bronze

Post by Top14Hope » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:06 pm

DeeCee wrote:lawschoolstudent85:

This is Barbie's thread......she has a right to respond and make her decision however she chooses. She doesn't need you being negative posting her stats like she doesn't realize how many posts she has. I'm sure most of us don't care if she has 5000 posts or if that equals to 21 a day, we are just answering the question she is asking.
lol. You're right. But 21 a day for 8 months is a lot!

Obviously she has the right to, it's just funny.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Barbie wrote: :lol: No, probably just 1-2 pages of that! :mrgreen:
You're making a big decision you're allowed to be worried <3

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
DeeCee wrote:lawschoolstudent85:

lol. You're right. But 21 a day for 8 months is a lot!

Obviously she has the right to, it's just funny.
More accurately, its like 80+ on the days I am on. I'm either on TLS all day or not at all-- I either have shit to do or I don't. (I've made a handful of posts ITT just today)

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 pm

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:First of all, you need to take a deep breath and maybe consider taking a wee bit of a break from this place.

Last visited: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 pm
Total posts: 5395
[0.36% of all posts / 21.93 posts per day]
Search user’s posts

You're faced with two really good options. It's not like you are choosing between a North Korean labor camp vs. Mexican Prison. These are good problems to have. Take the visits and go with what your gut tells you.

I was faced with a very similar situation as yourself and ended up choosing FSU over UF, in spite of the fact that it was the school I had my heart set on, being a giant gator fan, having a support network in Gainesville...etc. No matter where you end up, you'll likely be quite satisfied with your choice a few months into classes; you'll end up looking back on hysteria and laughing at yourself.

But first and foremost, take a chill pill. It'll all work out.
I change my vote... go to UF simply because this poster goes to FSU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”