Pacific NW: Seattle U w/$ or Lewis & Clark Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fragged

Pacific NW: Seattle U w/$ or Lewis & Clark Sticker

Postby fragged » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I would like to live/work in the pacific northwest - probably in the Seattle area.

From what I understand, the legal market in Washington is not very good, but so far my options are:

Seattle U w/$
Lewis & Clark Sticker

I have not heard back from UW yet - they are a reach... But if I get in there, it would be a no-brainer.

I'm not sure if the small scholly at Seattle would be worth it because I think L&C is a much better school, but L&C is in Oregon vs. Seattle which likely has a larger alumni base in the area.

Suggestions?

JakeL

Re: Pacific NW: Seattle U w/$ or Lewis & Clark Sticker

Postby JakeL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Well, I know Seattle U has a pretty large class size, and therefore large alumni base... Did you apply to Oregon or Gonzaga? Seattle U is still going to be pretty expensive considering cost of living in Seattle, but probably your best shot at staying in Seattle after graduation.

fragged

Postby fragged » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm

JakeL wrote:Well, I know Seattle U has a pretty large class size, and therefore large alumni base... Did you apply to Oregon or Gonzaga? Seattle U is still going to be pretty expensive considering cost of living in Seattle, but probably your best shot at staying in Seattle after graduation.

I did not apply to Oregon or Gonzaga - Gonzaga appears to be teetering on the edge of being a TTT school. As far as U of O, I didn't really want to spend 3 years in Eugene. Plus, I thought my job prospects would be much stronger from L&C.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:22 pm

fragged wrote:
JakeL wrote:Well, I know Seattle U has a pretty large class size, and therefore large alumni base... Did you apply to Oregon or Gonzaga? Seattle U is still going to be pretty expensive considering cost of living in Seattle, but probably your best shot at staying in Seattle after graduation.

I did not apply to Oregon or Gonzaga - Gonzaga appears to be teetering on the edge of being a TTT school. As far as U of O, I didn't really want to spend 3 years in Eugene. Plus, I thought my job prospects would be much stronger from L&C.

Yea, I have no idea about LC vs UO, but I do think UO may have more brand recognition... I definitely agree with you about living in Eugene though. I think if money isn't an option, and you don't get into UW, Seattle U is the right choice.

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Lewis and Clark is also really expensive. If you had your heart set on Seattle, I'd be inclined toward SU. My impression is that Lewis and Clark's reach does not extend that far north even though it is a better school.

If either Seattle or Portland will work pretty well for you, then Lewis and Clark may be the better option. I've been told that L+C and Oregon are even better than UW for Portland. This would put you at one of the two best schools in a small legal market rather than at the second best school in a small legal market (that attracts more T14s).

Of course, I am just a 0L who is basing my impression on my one friend from Harvard Law who tried to get a job in Seattle or Portland. While not completely baseless, my opinion is not particularly well informed either.

StevePirates

Postby StevePirates » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Another vote for Seattle U with money.

StevePirates

Postby StevePirates » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:55 pm

On a tangent, I think it's interesting that you didn't apply to UO or Gonzaga. Both of those schools benefit from the Flutie Effect and UO went on a run this last year, which I think will wind up giving them a boost.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”