How late can you decide?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
magicman554

How late can you decide?

Postby magicman554 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Let's say you get a great offer from X, and are waitlisted at Y (which you REALLY want to attend). X has a deposit deadline of April 1. Y doesn't revisit the waitlist until late April. If you put down the deposit at X, are you locked in there?

My understanding is that if you don't go to X, you just lose the deposit and are free to do as you choose; but I also heard a while back about some database among law schools that lets them know if their applicants have put in deposits at other schools. Wouldn't that basically screw your chances at Y if they knew that you put in a deposit on X?

JazzOne

Re: How late can you decide?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

magicman554 wrote:Let's say you get a great offer from X, and are waitlisted at Y (which you REALLY want to attend). X has a deposit deadline of April 1. Y doesn't revisit the waitlist until late April. If you put down the deposit at X, are you locked in there?

My understanding is that if you don't go to X, you just lose the deposit and are free to do as you choose; but I also heard a while back about some database among law schools that lets them know if their applicants have put in deposits at other schools. Wouldn't that basically screw your chances at Y if they knew that you put in a deposit on X?

I think it's fine to put down a deposit and then withdraw. The only thing that is binding is ED.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 pm

That is an interesting question, I wonder if anyone can acknowledge that schools know of a student putting a deposit down for other schools. However, I do not know why a school you are waitlisted at will hold it against you that you are putting a deposit down for another school. They don't expect you to wait on them.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm

seriously???? wrote:They don't expect you to wait on them.

I hope they're that reasonable.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:55 pm

I know a girl who was excepted to in August off the waitlist, she had already moved into her new apartment. She packed up all her shit and went back to NY. I think the only penalty would be the lost deposit.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:I know a girl who was excepted to in August off the waitlist, she had already moved into her new apartment. She packed up all her shit and went back to NY. I think the only penalty would be the lost deposit.

Just to add an anecdote, I know someone who deposited at Baylor, moved to Waco, and was then accepted off the waitlist to UT. She's one of my classmates at UT.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:22 pm

seriously???? wrote:That is an interesting question, I wonder if anyone can acknowledge that schools know of a student putting a deposit down for other schools. However, I do not know why a school you are waitlisted at will hold it against you that you are putting a deposit down for another school. They don't expect you to wait on them.

IIRC, many WL emails I got last year suggested you make alternative plans and deposit at the school of your choosing. When they do call you off the WL, you have a very short window to respond, like a day or so.

Depositing at 1 school and go to another off the WL is fine, you lose your deposit. Deposit at more than 1 school is not good.

Although, some school require you to withdraw from all WLs when you do the final deposit usually in June or so. I think I read that about Boalt.

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:10 pm

In general, how much are first deposits? <$500, b/w $500 & $1500, >$1500?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 pm

tinlawman wrote:In general, how much are first deposits? <$500, b/w $500 & $1500, >$1500?

$500 is common

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:35 pm

sarahh wrote:
tinlawman wrote:In general, how much are first deposits? <$500, b/w $500 & $1500, >$1500?

$500 is common

Many school have 2 $500 deposits, first one end of April, another later in the summer.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 pm

There is no problem with depositing at one school and then picking a school you were waitlisted at for most law schools. The problem is double or triple depositing on accepted schools. At some point I believe LSAC notifies them( I read this on TLS before) and some schools may have a particular clause concerning this when you deposit. Have to check out each school. The problem is when the schools notify you late and then you are suppose to make an immediate decision which is somewhat unfair. I wish you could double deposit for the first deposit if you are in that position and then make your choice and withdraw from the second school before the second deposit. I'm not sure what actually legally prohibits you from doing so unless a school has language prohibiting it in their contract or binding you to attend their law school. You of course would lose your deposit at the school you withdrew from.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:52 pm

if you were to double deposit on the first deadline, then schools wont know who is coming or not until the second, and they cant get people off WL until then. Its a matter of being courteous to those who really want to go, while you make a decision. Thats why its important to have a good idea of where you are going to go before april 1st. If you havent heard from the schools until after april 1st, you have 2 weeks to send the deposit in, or they will give your seat to someone else.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:53 pm

if you havent heard from all schools yet, deposit at your top chice ( if you know), and be ready to lose that deposit if you decide to go somewhere else. If you dont like your options, you can always re apply next cycle.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:48 pm

It is much better to have a decision made by April 1st and to be courteous for those off the waitlist, but it might be difficult for someone to make a final decision. I think people should be allowed to put down two deposits until they know where they truly want to go. There's a line between being courteous for all those waitlisted, and making the correct decision.
Does anyone have any evidence that you can't put down more than one deposit for April 1st?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:31 pm

You have to read what you are signing when you send in your deposits to make sure you are not legally binding yourself to attend.

I am in favor of a decision by April 1 but law schools need to make timely decisions too as many students would like the opportunity to visit various law schools before they decide. It seems somewhat unfair that in some cases a student is suppose to rush to judgement in selecting a law school, yet law schools can take their time deciding what is best for them. Ok off my soapbox...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:40 pm

seriously???? wrote:It is much better to have a decision made by April 1st and to be courteous for those off the waitlist, but it might be difficult for someone to make a final decision. I think people should be allowed to put down two deposits until they know where they truly want to go. There's a line between being courteous for all those waitlisted, and making the correct decision.
Does anyone have any evidence that you can't put down more than one deposit for April 1st?

You have up to 5/1 to make the decision, same as mostly everyone else.

Actually they should require a $5000 deposit and you can deposit as many as you want ;) It isn't meant to benefit the WL, it's meant to benefit the school, so in case of a withdraw a school wouldn't have to dip too far onto the WL (and thus lowering the admissions standards).

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=44

Read the last paragraph. Apparently they get deposit info and are free to do stuff with it.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:17 pm

as long as you are willing to pay THEM money then THEY will give you an offer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”