CoL @ Boston & D.C.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
2011Law

CoL @ Boston & D.C.

Postby 2011Law » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 am

Wanted to check if the estimates I had were right. For Boston I have 19k, for D.C. I have 22k. Anyone have personal experience at these cities that can give a better estimate?

justhockey31

Re: CoL @ Boston & D.C.

Postby justhockey31 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 am

I don't know about exact #'s but looking at a "cost of living calculator" it actually says that DC is cheaper than Boston...This was just one site but I am sure you can do some looking around.
[url]
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5 ... 2=51150000
[/url]

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 am

justhockey31 wrote:I don't know about exact #'s but looking at a "cost of living calculator" it actually says that DC is cheaper than Boston...This was just one site but I am sure you can do some looking around.
[url]
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5 ... 2=51150000
[/url]

Can't believe that utilities and housing are so much more expensive in Boston than in D.C.

Do ghettos take up a larger part of D.C. than they do in Boston? Really, what gives?

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 pm

For Boston, it depends.

If you are looking at Harvard, there are some cheep spots in Somerville, but apartments are still pretty pricey.

If you are looking at Boston College, the law school is slightly out of Boston proper, so you will be able to find cheap housing in Newton/Waltham/Watertown. You'll get more bang for your buck in the suburbs, which still have a good city feel cause you are not too far out. You could also still live in the Allston/Brighton area for more of a city feel, but rent prices go up. Most law students at BC actually live in Boston proper, but it is not the most economical way to approach the living situation. You'll want a car at BC, so technically you could live anywhere within 20 miles of campus if you don't mind a commute.

If you are looking at Boston University, you are probably going to want to live in Allston/Brighton/Fenway area, which is pretty expensive. While you will be surrounded by undergrads from BU and Northeastern, it is a fun part of town. You probably don't want a car at BU, but you can use public transportation (the green line is horrible though).

If you are looking at Northeastern, probably the same boat as BU. You can find some cheap housing in Mission Hill, but you'll be surrounded by undergrads. Most law students live in the Fenway area or directly around campus, which is actually a very nice area to live. Again, you should steer clear of a car and won't likely need one at NU.

You can use craiglist apartment rentals for a good idea. Boston proper is pretty expensive compared to other cities, but it is the price you pay for a vibrant and urban lifestyle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”