Is Wake Forest a strong option?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nailjohnj

Is Wake Forest a strong option?

Postby Nailjohnj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:22 pm

So, half way through my cycle, I have been accepted at Wake (20K scholly), American (Sticker), and Lewis and Clark (9K scholly) and waitlisted at GMU (probably means sticker if I get in). I am still waiting to hear back from Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, and UNC. I liked Wake before the scholarship, but I was totally blown away by the scholly, since I didn't think my numbers would get me a dime much less $20,000. That means I can get out of school with ~$100,000 in debt as opposed to the ~$150,000 at the other schools (a whopping $196,000 at American).

So I guess my question is, is Wake a good school to attend? Let's just assume I get accepted to all the other schools (I know, HUUUGE assumption) but don't get any money, would Wake be the best choice? To give a little background, I am from the South, wouldn't mind living anywhere up the eastern seaboard (except Florida) or Chicago area. Any thoughts?

CanadianWolf

Re: Is Wake Forest a strong option?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Wait for your offer from Indiana.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 pm

quakeroats wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=145760

Ok... So if I get the just of this thread, stay in Wake if I decide to go there? I sorta was looking for opinons on how good of an option Wake is for school. It seems to me like it is a strong choice, but Im looking for second and third opinions.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Wake is a solid school if you don't mind staying in the South. I wouldn't do it if you have big city (Chi, DC, NYC) aspirations, but otherwise go for it. Especially with a 20k scholly and the low COL.

tarp

Postby tarp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Wake Forest is a great law school. The problem is Winston-Salem is a boring little town.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 pm

your list of schools is in a bunch of regions. What region do you like/ want to work in? If you are okay with working in NC, then wake would be an excellent choice. Especially with a 20k scholly. But if you want to work somewhere, else, then I would recommend going to a school there.

best of luck.

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 pm

northwood wrote:your list of schools is in a bunch of regions. What region do you like/ want to work in? If you are okay with working in NC, then wake would be an excellent choice. Especially with a 20k scholly. But if you want to work somewhere, else, then I would recommend going to a school there.

best of luck.

Well, I applied to l&c because my brother is out there and I thought I wanted to get into environmental law, that's changed, but I'll still take the travel reimbursement to visit the school (and go skiing) in march. I applied to Iowa and Indiana because they were the highest ranked that I felt I had a strong shot at and they seemed to do well in the Chicago market. I think that would be an awesome city to live and work in. The rest of the schools are based around the south and mid-Atlantic. I think that is where I would be most happy, but I'm open to anywhere, no real roots to one place.

That's why Wake enticed me, between 04-09, more than 50% of graduates went outside of NC and 15% went to Va., DC, NYC area. That seems like pretty decent range for a school ranked outside the t25. Does that make sense or is it just silly talk?

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 am

Wake Forest is great, I love it, and I strongly encourage you to at least give it a look, but as has been said a million times over on this site GO WHERE YOU WANT TO WORK. That's it. It comes to that EVERY TIME (barring money issues). If you want to work in NC or one of the surrounding state then go for it, if not go to a school in that state. That's it. Period. None of these are going to give you significantly different employment opportunities in their respective areas.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”