Dear would-be UChicago 0Ls, please click on this title.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BlackSwan85

Re: Dear would-be UChicago 0Ls, please click on this title.

Postby BlackSwan85 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:05 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Wowza, I didn't know about this. Any plans to lower the honors/high honors status in light of this?

You are a 1L, right? At least it gives you extra incentive to study hard for Crim and Contracts.

There are no such plans, as far as I know.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:45 am

Only 10? Aren't all classes 10+?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlackSwan85

Postby BlackSwan85 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:30 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Only 10? Aren't all classes 10+?

Yes, nearly all are. I am aware of only one class that had less than 10 students last quarter.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:32 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:Only 10? Aren't all classes 10+?

Yes, nearly all are. I am aware of only one class that had less than 10 students last quarter.

BlackSwan, did you see Dean Schill's email today?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Dean Schill says they didnt change the curve or grading policies. He says they were rumors.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Dean Schill says they didnt change the curve or grading policies. He says they were rumors.

That's good to hear.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Sentry wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Dean Schill says they didnt change the curve or grading policies. He says they were rumors.

That's good to hear.

WHAT?! I'm going there for RIGOR, though.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:08 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Sentry wrote:

That's good to hear.

Don't worry. Still plenty of time to get curvepwned during 1L.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 pm

California Babe wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Sentry wrote:

That's good to hear.

Don't worry. Still plenty of time to get curvepwned during 1L.

Sweet. Cant wait.

le_taon

Postby le_taon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Dean Schill's e-mail also said they'd reviewed the grades from last quarter. Except lots of people still don't have grades from last quarter.

You do the math.

BlackSwan85

Postby BlackSwan85 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I am reposting a response to Dean Schill's email because I think it gets at the issue that his assurances attempted to evade better than I could:

'Dear Dean Schill,

I write out of concern that your letter -- reassuring us that "the Law School’s grading curve" has not changed -- may not have entirely addressed [redacted] X's stated concern regarding smaller classes and/or seminars.

At the beginning of the year, Section 1.13 of the Law School Student Handbook, as it appeared on page 105 of the student planner, stated, "There is a mandatory curve for classes of more than 50 students.... We encourage professors in all classes to adhere to the recommended curve, though the median may be slightly higher for seminars." (emphasis added).

This language has been entirely eliminated from the Student Handbook as it appears online.

This change to the Student Handbook might be seen as supplying more basis than simple "rumor" to the suggestion that there are modifications at work in the law school's grading system.

I encourage you to put this lingering confusion to rest, and to address this issue in a forum more publicly accessible than an LSA meeting.'

In short, the issue isn't whether the curve has changed. The issue is, whether the curve is now mandatory for classes of 10+ people. In the past, professors were allowed to curve at their discretion in all classes that consisted of 50 and less people. We want to know what has happened to that policy.

Dean Schill's email did not answer that question. Instead of breathing a sigh of relief, we are even more concerned over such evasiveness. Moreover, the complete (and entirely silent) elimination of the relevant language from the Handbook that the quoted email refers to pretty clearly suggests that alterations are in fact occurring.

Also allow me to add that I have received none of my grades back and neither have the vast majority of my friends. (The only ones to have received grades back without fail appear to be 1Ls). We should have had everything in as far back as the 18th.

In short, to consider the matter put to rest would be a mistake.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Has there been anymore news?

buster

Postby buster » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:22 am

I was in a seminar last quarter with a little over 10 people and know for a fact that we were graded on a 177 curve. The range in grades, in my opinion, were disproportionately large to the actual differences in performance. I know this because my professor explained the breakdown of the grades, how many people got certain grades on the different components of the grade, and how the grades had to be adjusted to the curve. The professor told me faculty were not allowed to tell us any specifics about the curve. But from having spoken to people in my class, I know there was a large range of grades.

This seminar was easily the easiest of my classes but my worst grade last quarter - an uncharacteristically low grade. I just don't see how the professor can make meaningful distinctions in a class that small that met only 9 times. In fact, the professor expressed this much and said that if he could grade on an absolute level, he would have given a number of students better grades.

I understand the virtues of having a curve and the signaling effect. But I disagree with ATL's retort - judges looking for a clerk are not going to knowingly take the B student from UChicago over a student from [name peer school] who has a combo of high passes and passes (I could be wrong about the specifics on such a grading system, but the point is the same) since there is a higher probability that this person has an A average. As a result, more people on aggregate from [name peer school] will be chosen over UChicago grads. Perhaps a bad illustration, but it makes the point, right?

Maybe the right answer is not inflating the median for seminars, but something definitely needs to be done.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

U of Chicago wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Hamilton

Postby Hamilton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Wow, I must be out of the loop. I knew of the grading controversy, but only now heard the details. As a transfer to Chicago, I have had the grading system explained to me at least three different ways. I'm still not sure what my first quarter grades mean.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

IAATL

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 am

Note: This is what most schools outside the T14 already do.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”