UCLA w/ $$$ v. Michigan w/ $ v. Chicago....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
supersar

UCLA w/ $$$ v. Michigan w/ $ v. Chicago....

Postby supersar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:27 pm

ok everybody i need some advice! $$$ at UCLA vs. $ at Mich vs. not sure about $ at Chicago - obviously Chicago is ridiculously amazing, went to Mich undergrad and loved it but do I want 7 years in the same place? and I have tons of family in UCLA and a lot of scholarship $ so what do I do??? any thoughts at all are much appreciated! thanks friends!

side note - I want to end up in LA ultimately... how much more weight will a degree from Chicago or Mich really have in LA over UCLA?

CanadianWolf

Re: UCLA w/ $$$ v. Michigan w/ $ v. Chicago....

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm

If you are sure that you want to live & work in Los Angeles & the UCLA scholarship is substantially more than the others are offering, then the decision seems to be leaning toward the obvious.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:43 pm

supersar wrote:ok everybody i need some advice! $$$ at UCLA vs. $ at Mich vs. not sure about $ at Chicago - obviously Chicago is ridiculously amazing, went to Mich undergrad and loved it but do I want 7 years in the same place? and I have tons of family in UCLA and a lot of scholarship $ so what do I do??? any thoughts at all are much appreciated! thanks friends!

side note - I want to end up in LA ultimately... how much more weight will a degree from Chicago or Mich really have in LA over UCLA?

Is your $$$ at UCLA full ride? If so, and you want LA, take it. They own this city.

Snape

Postby Snape » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Do you really want 3 more years hanging out at Rick's? Seriously though, everyone in the law quad is obessessed with Ricks....byt anyways, I think the debate comes down to UCLA or Chicago...Michigan for little money wont make up the difference from either option....if you are absolutely set on LA then UCLA is best bet

supersar

Postby supersar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Snape wrote:Do you really want 3 more years hanging out at Rick's? Seriously though, everyone in the law quad is obessessed with Ricks....byt anyways, I think the debate comes down to UCLA or Chicago...Michigan for little money wont make up the difference from either option....if you are absolutely set on LA then UCLA is best bet

haha I've had enough of Rick's to hold be over for quite some time!

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:53 am

Not sure why 0Ls are offering you advice (see above). Fact is, you aren't getting LA biglaw, unless you have really, really good grades from UCLA. Some UCLA student said 10-15% got a job through OCI last year. And to be frank, you probably won't get LA biglaw from any of these schools without top 1/3. Additionally, mid-sized firms in CA are pretty competitive, too. I wouldn't narrow my focus on California markets so early on. One thing to keep in mind is that Chicago and Michigan give you much more options on the East Coast, which is where the jobs are.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”