Would you go to WUSTL/GW/BU at full CoA all paid with loans?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Would you go to WUSTL/GW/BU at full CoA all paid with loans?

YES
45%
NO
55%

Total votes: 172

Grizz

Re: Would you go to WUSTL/GW/BU at full CoA all paid with loans?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:So the overall consensus is to NOT pay sticker at GW? Even if it is the best school a person has been accepted to?

You should have some mid range options where the cost is substantially less. $200k debt is biglaw territory. Unless you do PI and IBR/LRAP can support you. But still, no biglaw and no big debt is probably the safest way to go.

So far my other option is a full-ride at SJU, but I feel that is almost too much of a downgrade. Im holding out for IUB, but frankly I hate the midwest and dont want to to there at all. My target markets are NYC or DC.

Retake

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
So far my other option is a full-ride at SJU, but I feel that is almost too much of a downgrade. Im holding out for IUB, but frankly I hate the midwest and dont want to to there at all. My target markets are NYC or DC.

Any luck at Fordham? Did you apply to W&M, W&L?

I mean it isn't a definite loser but risk is very great because getting a job that pays enough is going to be tough.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:34 pm

rad law wrote:
Retake

There is so much logic in this now.

T14 for NYC/DC biglaw. Or don't take on so much debt.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:46 pm

rad law wrote:
Retake

Waiting another year is not an option. And I did rather well on my LSAT; its my GPA thats pulling me down, and there is nothing I can do about that now.

r6_philly wrote:
Any luck at Fordham? Did you apply to W&M, W&L?

I mean it isn't a definite loser but risk is very great because getting a job that pays enough is going to be tough.

Waiting on Fordham, and I didnt apply to W&M or W&L. Mostly some East Coast schools (American, Maryland, Temple, GULC PT, etc.) and a bunch of schools out in Cali. I havent gotten answers back from a bunch of schools though.

I am willing to live outside of DC/NYC, but that is definitely my preference. The midwest is the only place I have absolutely ruled out.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:So the overall consensus is to NOT pay sticker at GW? Even if it is the best school a person has been accepted to?

I would go to GW at sticker but just realize that is isn't a sure thing. I still think all things considered you will likely come out on top financially in the long run but just not by as large of a margin. With 200k of debt payed back over 10 years (which, without biglaw, probably wouldn't be the smart thing to do for the first 5 years) you would be paying back about 30k a year. So as long as you grab a job paying more than 65K a year you will be able to pay basic expenses (though you will likely having less disposable income than you would have not going to LS). GW will probably get you a job paying that but the reason people might not make that decision is because you won't be better of than not going to law school at all or attending a lower ranked school for free that gets you a job paying >40k. In the log run and averaged out, however, I think paying sticker at WUSTL, GW, or BU isn't a bad decision.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:53 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

I would go to GW at sticker but just realize that is isn't a sure thing. I still think all things considered you will likely come out on top financially in the long run but just not by as large of a margin. With 200k of debt payed back over 10 years (which, without biglaw, probably wouldn't be the smart thing to do for the first 5 years) you would be paying back about 30k a year. So as long as you grab a job paying more than 65K a year you will be able to pay basic expenses (though you will likely having less disposable income than you would have not going to LS). GW will probably get you a job paying that but the reason people might not make that decision is because you won't be better of than not going to law school at all or attending a lower ranked school for free that gets you a job paying >40k. In the log run and averaged out, however, I think paying sticker at WUSTL, GW, or BU isn't a bad decision.

FWIW, I am pretty sure I could a decent amount of need based aid, which maxes out at $16K/yr. I dont know how much of a difference that makes to those weighing in, but assuming I get the entire $16K, that brings tuition down from $46K to $30K. And GWUs COA allowance is a bit outrageous, because the COL here in DC isnt anywhere near as high as they calculate.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 pm

BU maxes out need-based aid at 20k/year and the COL is lower (the T is cheaper, triples can run around 600$/each). Thats one of the main reasons I took it over GW. You end up saving a lot of money in the end if you get the full financial aid amount.

mettasutta

Re: Would you go to WUSTL/GW/BU with no scholarship?

Postby mettasutta » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I do, so yes. I wouldn't have gotten $$ anywhere worth going, though. It's definitely not the most financially responsible plan.

I think I've seen your profile on LSN...you got a 177 on the LSAT, right? If so, I'm pretty shocked that you didn't get $$ anywhere "worth going" with that kick-ass score. :shock:

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 pm

mettasutta wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I do, so yes. I wouldn't have gotten $$ anywhere worth going, though. It's definitely not the most financially responsible plan.

I think I've seen your profile on LSN...you got a 177 on the LSAT, right? If so, I'm pretty shocked that you didn't get $$ anywhere "worth going" with that kick-ass score. :shock:

That's what having a sub-3 GPA in liberal arts will get you. Nobody wants that business. Anybody still in undergrad reading this: GO TO CLASS. Do all your homework.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
mettasutta wrote:

That's what having a sub-3 GPA in liberal arts electrical engineering will get you. Nobody wants that business. Anybody still in undergrad reading this: GO TO CLASS. Do all your homework.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39 pm

dont forget to stay off social media in class, and pay attention!

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 pm

I don't know why anyone would go to WUSTL over BC/BU/GW unless they had a decent scholarship.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 pm

Informative wrote:I don't know why anyone would go to WUSTL over BC/BU/GW unless they had a decent scholarship.

Because they want to work in the midwest and couldn't get into T-14

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Waiting on Fordham, and I didnt apply to W&M or W&L. Mostly some East Coast schools (American, Maryland, Temple, GULC PT, etc.) and a bunch of schools out in Cali. I havent gotten answers back from a bunch of schools though.

I am willing to live outside of DC/NYC, but that is definitely my preference. The midwest is the only place I have absolutely ruled out.

Honestly, Temple does really well in philly and around that area and with in-state it is a great deal. If you get a scholarship there, I would go there cheaply before GW, W&M, W&L at sticker. If you like the city and/or get a scholarship, it could be a clear winner I think. I doesnt have a lot of portablitiy however.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

rman1201 wrote:
Informative wrote:I don't know why anyone would go to WUSTL over BC/BU/GW unless they had a decent scholarship.

Because they want to work in the midwest and couldn't get into T-14

Credited. I admit to coastal bias.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You should have some mid range options where the cost is substantially less. $200k debt is biglaw territory. Unless you do PI and IBR/LRAP can support you. But still, no biglaw and no big debt is probably the safest way to go.

It's unfortunate that you hate the midwest. IUB has been very generous with $$$ so far this year. Especially to LSATs above their 75. That, plus the URM boost, and no geographic preference would make IUB the clear decision.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 am

Why is GW @ sticker a GOOD investment? GW or BU at sticker (high tuition + HIGH COL) is absolutely insane.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If that is really you in your avatar picture then RETAKE, for obvious reasons.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

I say absolutely no. And I go to one of these schools.

The only way I maaaaaybe would consider it was if I went for a semester, and if I was outside of top 1/3, I'd drop out. And outside of top 1/4 after a year, I'd drop out.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm

SrLaw wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

SNAP girl! SrLaw just suggested that you retake the LSATs because you black and/or you got a low score!

--ImageRemoved--

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 pm

SrLaw wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

No can do. I need to go to school this year if I am going to get a deferment on my student loans. I wont find a job right now to help pay back my UG loans and survive. So this fall is it for me. I got a 167 that Im going to have to live with, but its my 2.44 LSAC GPA thats holding me back. Nothing I can do about that now.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:57 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
No can do. I need to go to school this year if I am going to get a deferment on my student loans. I wont find a job right now to help pay back my UG loans and survive. So this fall is it for me. I got a 167 that Im going to have to live with, but its my 2.44 LSAC GPA thats holding me back. Nothing I can do about that now.

I think a state school like Temple or Rutgers may work well for you if like the market it's in. Temple part-time was my backup backup plan... If you enroll half time you can defer the loans. You might be able to get $$$ with that LSAT.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I think a state school like Temple or Rutgers may work well for you if like the market it's in. Temple part-time was my backup backup plan... If you enroll half time you can defer the loans. You might be able to get $$$ with that LSAT.

Im hoping to hear from them soon. I dont really like Philly, but I will make it work. Either that or IUB finally gets back to me with good news.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”