GW Sticker vs. IU-B $$$???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW Sticker vs. IU-B $$$

GW Sticker
48%
IU-B $$$
52%

Total votes: 21

chihuahua12

GW Sticker vs. IU-B $$$???

Postby chihuahua12 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks for your insight.

Edit: I'd rather stay on the east coast after I graduate, but not necessarily in D.C. Finding a job in the private sector or a clerkship is my biggest concern.

HeavenWood

Re: GW Sticker vs. IU-B $$$???

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:58 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:Thanks for your insight.

Edit: I'd rather stay on the east coast after I graduate, but not necessarily in D.C. Finding a job in the private sector or a clerkship is my biggest concern.

What are your east coast scholly options?

doukycats

Postby doukycats » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 pm

This is the same question I am asking myself right now. I would love to work in DC/NY, but full money at IU is tough to pass up. Does anybody know much about IU's placement in DC/NY? I know they are very strong in Indianapolis/Ohio.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

W&L - 20k/year
W&M - 10k/year
Penn State - 20k/year
Alabama - 22.5k/year
Northeastern - 8.5k/year

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Tag. Having a similar issue.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

W&L - 20k/year
W&M - 10k/year
Penn State - 20k/year
Alabama - 22.5k/year
Northeastern - 8.5k/year

I have almost these exact same options, less W&L (only gave me 5k). I have heard that Alabama places disproportionately high into DC, but certainly wouldn't compete with GW. That being said, GWU at sticker seems absolutely nuts to me. WM or WL would also cost 1/3 of what GWU does after living expenses... I don't know, just seems like GWU doesn't give any guarantees at a job, but guarantees massive debt, and we wouldn't be that much worse off in the job hunt with some of those other options.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 pm

JakeL wrote:
chihuahua12 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

W&L - 20k/year
W&M - 10k/year
Penn State - 20k/year
Alabama - 22.5k/year
Northeastern - 8.5k/year

I have almost these exact same options, less W&L (only gave me 5k). I have heard that Alabama places disproportionately high into DC, but certainly wouldn't compete with GW. That being said, GWU at sticker seems absolutely nuts to me. WM or WL would also cost 1/3 of what GWU does after living expenses... I don't know, just seems like GWU doesn't give any guarantees at a job, but guarantees massive debt, and we wouldn't be that much worse off in the job hunt with some of those other options.

If you have no preference as to where on the east coast, take whatever's cheaper between W&L and W&M.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 pm

I chose GW sticker cause it looks like it has much better prospects than IUB, especially if you wanna be in DC or east coast. But if you got like nearly full tuition (which I wouldn't imagine you would if you got nothing at GW), it would definitely be worth considering.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 pm

2011Law wrote:I chose GW sticker cause it looks like it has much better prospects than IUB, especially if you wanna be in DC or east coast. But if you got like nearly full tuition (which I wouldn't imagine you would if you got nothing at GW), it would definitely be worth considering.

200k+ is a lot of money for a ~1/4 shot at BigLaw.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm

You're more unlikely than not to find a clerkship coming out of either, so it shouldn't be a factor either way. Thus, it's a simple factor of risk versus location preference.

Do you want minimal risk? IUB.
Do you want maximum chance at your location preference? GW.

I'd say IUB is hugely the right call in this case if you can stomach working in the midwest. I'd also say, if you can take one of the Virginia schools (W&L/W&M) for around 50-70k total debt and would prefer working in Virginia to working in the midwest, then I'd take one of those instead.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:13 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

W&L - 20k/year
W&M - 10k/year
Penn State - 20k/year
Alabama - 22.5k/year
Northeastern - 8.5k/year

W&L seems like your best bet (unless you have W&M in-state). Both schools job prospects are just as good as Indiana and not far behind GWU's. Plus, they have waaaayyyyy lower COL than GDub. They'll give you a shot at DC and if you do well you can definitely find a job somewhere in the NE. DO NOT go to Penn State or Northeastern if you want employment after graduation, especially since clearly superior schools (W&L and W&M) are offering you equal or better money. 'Bama would be alright if you like the South, however.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”