Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby JD=Doctor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

UCLA has become very expensive (even for in state) and prices are expected to rise every year

for those admitted past 2008 the website says the cost is 40k+ for instate. So assuming 45K a year (which is very similar to usc now)

is UCLA worth 135K? (COA aside)

is USC worth 135K? (COA aside)

Keep in mind the bad economy and bad CA market.

(yes i know most will say UCLA is better $ being equal then USC.... we are not comparing the two against each other. On their own are they worth it when the alternative is $$$$$ top tier2s like LoyolaLA and Cordoza)

User avatar
alexb
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby alexb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm

It depends on your financial situation and how much you care about going into debt. Honestly, don't worry about the economy in CA or for lawyers generally. Frankly, it's anyone's guess as to what the economy will look like in the next 3-4 years.

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 pm

alexb wrote:It depends on your financial situation and how much you care about going into debt. Honestly, don't worry about the economy in CA or for lawyers generally. Frankly, it's anyone's guess as to what the economy will look like in the next 3-4 years.


Not really credited. I go to a UC for undergrad and have friends at the law school, and know professors at the law school. they are all worried about the state of the legal market here. Its definitely not pretty.

User avatar
alexb
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby alexb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Curry wrote:
alexb wrote:It depends on your financial situation and how much you care about going into debt. Honestly, don't worry about the economy in CA or for lawyers generally. Frankly, it's anyone's guess as to what the economy will look like in the next 3-4 years.


Not really credited. I go to a UC for undergrad and have friends at the law school, and know professors at the law school. they are all worried about the state of the legal market here. Its definitely not pretty.


Yeah, now it sucks, but, again, that says nothing about what it will be in 3-4 years .

Side note: I'm from Michigan. Don't worry, it's worse here.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 pm

alexb wrote:
Curry wrote:
alexb wrote:It depends on your financial situation and how much you care about going into debt. Honestly, don't worry about the economy in CA or for lawyers generally. Frankly, it's anyone's guess as to what the economy will look like in the next 3-4 years.


Not really credited. I go to a UC for undergrad and have friends at the law school, and know professors at the law school. they are all worried about the state of the legal market here. Its definitely not pretty.


Yeah, now it sucks, but, again, that says nothing about what it will be in 3-4 years .

Side note: I'm from Michigan. Don't worry, it's worse here.


But Michigan's national rep is better than either UCLA or USC. Just in case you have been living under a rock for the last 3 years--California is going into the shitter with no reason to think things will get better. Its housing market was obliterated. Sure, it may get better by the time you graduate. But making that gamble AT STICKER?

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
alexb wrote:
Curry wrote:
alexb wrote:It depends on your financial situation and how much you care about going into debt. Honestly, don't worry about the economy in CA or for lawyers generally. Frankly, it's anyone's guess as to what the economy will look like in the next 3-4 years.


Not really credited. I go to a UC for undergrad and have friends at the law school, and know professors at the law school. they are all worried about the state of the legal market here. Its definitely not pretty.


Yeah, now it sucks, but, again, that says nothing about what it will be in 3-4 years .

Side note: I'm from Michigan. Don't worry, it's worse here.


But Michigan's national rep is better than either UCLA or USC. Just in case you have been living under a rock for the last 3 years--California is going into the shitter with no reason to think things will get better. Its housing market was obliterated. Sure, it may get better by the time you graduate. But making that gamble AT STICKER?


Um trust me, its not worse there in Michigan. The state is in an absolute fiscal mess. You couldn't screw up harder if you tried.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 pm

California's policies have created a situation where the state could potentially see a recovery, but it will be nowhere near as strong as other states (when the economy finally turns around). Given the fiscal policies and increasing overregulation, I see no reason to think the odds are in your favor.

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:25 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:California's policies have created a situation where the state could potentially see a recovery, but it will be nowhere near as strong as other states (when the economy finally turns around). Given the fiscal policies and increasing overregulation, I see no reason to think the odds are in your favor.


What on earth gives you the idea that California's policies could initiate a recovery?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Curry wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:California's policies have created a situation where the state could potentially see a recovery, but it will be nowhere near as strong as other states (when the economy finally turns around). Given the fiscal policies and increasing overregulation, I see no reason to think the odds are in your favor.


What on earth gives you the idea that California's policies could initiate a recovery?


Blind faith in the new liberal establishment? :roll:

JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby JD=Doctor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Back to the topic on hand........

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:Back to the topic on hand........


Fine. No, neither is worth sticker. And you cannot deny COL, especially in California. And both Loyola and Carschmozo are weak schools in extremely competitive markets.

There. Feel better now?

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:05 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:Back to the topic on hand........


I'd take UCLA at sticker if i didn't have ANY other debt. Wouldn't do the same for USC. Either option is better than Loyola imo.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

If you want to work in Cali, I think either at sticker isn't an extremely horrible option.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:16 pm

I'd take it if I wanted to be a lawyer in California.

Definitely over a full ride to Loyola. Not sure if I'd take it over a full ride to UCD/UCH though I think those schools are pretty stingy so it probably doesn't matter.

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd take it if I wanted to be a lawyer in California.

Definitely over a full ride to Loyola. Not sure if I'd take it over a full ride to UCD/UCH though I think those schools are pretty stingy so it probably doesn't matter.


Twin has arrived.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Curry wrote:
bk1 wrote:I'd take it if I wanted to be a lawyer in California.

Definitely over a full ride to Loyola. Not sure if I'd take it over a full ride to UCD/UCH though I think those schools are pretty stingy so it probably doesn't matter.


Twin has arrived.


Hullo twin. I think I'd be okay with USC at sticker though, especially over Loyola at free.

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

bk1 wrote:
Curry wrote:
bk1 wrote:I'd take it if I wanted to be a lawyer in California.

Definitely over a full ride to Loyola. Not sure if I'd take it over a full ride to UCD/UCH though I think those schools are pretty stingy so it probably doesn't matter.


Twin has arrived.


Hullo twin. I think I'd be okay with USC at sticker though, especially over Loyola at free.


Depends on what you want to do. If you are hellbent on Los Angeles, I'd take SC sticker. If you have any thoughts of elsewhere, I'd be scared of SC at sticker. But I'd still take it over Loyola for free.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Curry wrote:Depends on what you want to do. If you are hellbent on Los Angeles, I'd take SC sticker. If you have any thoughts of elsewhere, I'd be scared of SC at sticker. But I'd still take it over Loyola for free.


In even my case I'd take it at sticker, which would be (along with a hypothetical statement):

1. I really really want SF (but would take LA if I had to).
2. I got USC at sticker but not UCLA and not significant money at UCD/UCH.

I'd take USC at sticker in this case. I wouldn't take USC if I didn't want CA at all though (but I guess that's obv).

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
Curry wrote:Depends on what you want to do. If you are hellbent on Los Angeles, I'd take SC sticker. If you have any thoughts of elsewhere, I'd be scared of SC at sticker. But I'd still take it over Loyola for free.


In even my case I'd take it at sticker, which would be (along with a hypothetical statement):

1. I really really want SF (but would take LA if I had to).
2. I got USC at sticker but not UCLA and not significant money at UCD/UCH.

I'd take USC at sticker in this case. I wouldn't take USC if I didn't want CA at all though (but I guess that's obv).


I'd be iffy taking it if i really want SF just because that market is unbelievably difficult to break into. That being said, if you can handle living in LA, SC isn't a bad option.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Curry wrote:I'd be iffy taking it if i really want SF just because that market is unbelievably difficult to break into. That being said, if you can handle living in LA, SC isn't a bad option.


Would you make the same statement the person going to USC was originally from the Bay?

Curry

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
Curry wrote:I'd be iffy taking it if i really want SF just because that market is unbelievably difficult to break into. That being said, if you can handle living in LA, SC isn't a bad option.


Would you make the same statement the person going to USC was originally from the Bay?


Not with as much strength cause ties play a huge role in the SF market but i'd still be a little weary.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Curry wrote:Not with as much strength cause ties play a huge role in the SF market but i'd still be a little weary.


I'd be wary as shit (even if I just wanted LA) but I still think I'd make the bullheaded decision and take USC at sticker knowing it was a meh financial choice. :P

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Curry wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:California's policies have created a situation where the state could potentially see a recovery, but it will be nowhere near as strong as other states (when the economy finally turns around). Given the fiscal policies and increasing overregulation, I see no reason to think the odds are in your favor.


What on earth gives you the idea that California's policies could initiate a recovery?



Sorry, I wasn't clear. My point was that their policies are SO bad that even if there was a national recovery, California's would be a few percentage points lower.

JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby JD=Doctor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
Curry wrote:Depends on what you want to do. If you are hellbent on Los Angeles, I'd take SC sticker. If you have any thoughts of elsewhere, I'd be scared of SC at sticker. But I'd still take it over Loyola for free.


In even my case I'd take it at sticker, which would be (along with a hypothetical statement):

1. I really really want SF (but would take LA if I had to).
2. I got USC at sticker but not UCLA and not significant money at UCD/UCH.

I'd take USC at sticker in this case. I wouldn't take USC if I didn't want CA at all though (but I guess that's obv).



Ya this is about working in LA.

in order of preference and willingness to live...
1.LA
2.NY
3.Hell

User avatar
speedyj88
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Is UCLA or USC worth sticker? (lets end the debate here)

Postby speedyj88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:19 pm

As bad as the situation currently is in California, I think people underestimate the state's ability to recover. For one, California has (I believe) the largest economy in the United States, which will probably only grow with the growth of China and as imports continue to move away from the east coast and begin coming in from the west coast. While I wasn't old enough to appreciate the effects of the home savings and loan crisis of the early-mid 90's, I'm sure there was much of the same sentiment that California was doomed and would never recover. As we all witnessed, California rebounded at an extremely high rate, boasting some of the highest home value percentage growth we saw in the country (up there with Phoenix, Miami, and Las Vegas).

Regardless, to answer the question at hand, while I'm not versed in the LA legal market, since I am not currently looking for work, I think going to USC or UCLA at sticker is worth it. I'm probably biased since I will most likely be taking one of these options. While I'm hoping for some scholarship to lessen my debt-load, I would ultimately still take USC/UCLA at sticker.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests