Marquette or John Marshall - Advice Please Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dgymrat44

New

Marquette or John Marshall - Advice Please

Post by dgymrat44 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 pm

I have been accepted to John Marshall and Marquette and want to hear some opinions on where to go. I have been waitlisted at DePaul and Chicago-Kent and will almost certainly attend one of those if accepted. I would like to be in Chicago long term and am not sure what networking in Chicago would be like with these two schools (assuming John Marshall and Marquette will be my only two options). I am thinking it's very difficult at either one so I am thinking I might be better off going to Marquette and most likely stay in the Milwaukee area after graduation. I am not looking for big time law necessarily. I'd just like to be able to get a job relatively quickly after graduation and hopefully make somewhere in the 50-60 range right away. Thoughts?

Snape

Bronze

Re: Marquette or John Marshall - Advice Please

Post by Snape » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:50 pm

I would take marquette over any of the schools with knowing that I will have to being my career in Milwaukee....your chances of a decent paying job in Milwaukee--though nowhere near great--are much better than getting a decent paying job from any of the other schools on your list...I would never pay full price for any of the schools in Chicago besides Northwestern or Chicago....even half price at any of the others is a HUGE gamble--much better odds playing blackjack

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:55 pm

I would say that if you have your heart set on Chicago then try like hell to get in off the chicago-kent waitlist as it would give you the best shot out of those schools...However, if you don't have to be in chicago then go with marquette

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 am

Reconsider career choice.

dgymrat44

New

Post by dgymrat44 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:16 am

thanks for the advice. i do have a 10k a year scholarship offer from John Marshall but that's not nearly enough for me to make my decision based on that. does anyone know what kind of jobs john marshall law students are even hoping to get? i cant see how john marshall can place graduates anywhere being that it's a bottom school and has lots of much better competition in the chicago area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 pm

dgymrat44 wrote:I'd just like to be able to get a job relatively quickly after graduation and hopefully make somewhere in the 50-60 range right away.
If that's the case, then law school probably isn't right for you, especially with those options.

If I'm taking your words out of context, retake and reapply. If all you're looking for is 50-60k job, find something else to do with your life.

dgymrat44

New

Post by dgymrat44 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dgymrat44 wrote:I'd just like to be able to get a job relatively quickly after graduation and hopefully make somewhere in the 50-60 range right away.
If that's the case, then law school probably isn't right for you, especially with those options.

If I'm taking your words out of context, retake and reapply. If all you're looking for is 50-60k job, find something else to do with your life.
But I do specifically want to be a lawyer. All I really mean is that I don't care about getting a huge salary and working for a huge firm. I feel I can make what I said previously (finding a steady job that pays decently) happen with Marquette

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:59 pm

dgymrat44 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

But I do specifically want to be a lawyer. All I really mean is that I don't care about getting a huge salary and working for a huge firm. I feel I can make what I said previously (finding a steady job that pays decently) happen with Marquette
Fair enough, but even 50-60k salaries are tough to come by these days. The economy is just that bad.

Retaking is probably your best option.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:33 pm

John Marshall grads are agressivley fighting against themselves and all of Chicago's schools besides NU and Chicago to get 25-30/hr free-lance legal work with no benefits or guarantees....no kidding....at best you land a few hours of that each week with a JD from John Marshall...at worst you're fighting for a subsitute teaching gig in the south side.

dgymrat44

New

Post by dgymrat44 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:17 pm

thanks for the help

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”