Average Numbers. Fully scholly vs Ranking Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gator6589

New

Average Numbers. Fully scholly vs Ranking

Post by gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 am

Alright so I have been in the process of deciding of where to go. Though I have not heard back from everyone I understand where my scores will take me. I have a 159 3.4 I am Cuban and attend a top 50 university. Strong letters and PS along with softs.

I am currently being admited to schools in th 45-100 range without much problem even half scholly at Chicago-kent. But my question is do I take a top 50-100 school at half/full price or should I attend a tier 3 school with full-scholarship? I have always felt the school matters to get your foot in the door but its what you do at your job after. I am not to afraid of job prospects as I have 2 family memembers in the field already. They may not get me a job exactly but can definatly help out with interviews.

So no debt tier 3 or 90K at a tier 2?

rman1201

Silver

Re: Average Numbers. Fully scholly vs Ranking

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 am

What market is the T3?

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 am

Either Loyola NO or MSU

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

Then go for the T3 if you would be content staying there. Not a very competitive market, so you should have a shot at some sort of employment as long as your grades are decent. It won't be six figure salary or anything close, but at least you'll be relatively debt free.
Chicago-Kent is a mediocre school in a very competitive market, so at even half tuition you'll probably be throwing away a lot of money/time.

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 am

I dont intend on staying in Michigan or NOLA but I hope my grades and the help of getting interviews will allow me employment in the miami area where I am from. Yes, I was accpeted to UM but no $$ and 120K for UM just doesnt sit well with me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am

Slim chances unless you do have pretty serious connections.
Tried FIU?

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Nope didnt apply. I figured FIU being T4 and not giving money I would rather accept $$ at a t3 than pay 15k at FIU.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:09 pm

retake

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 pm

Make sure to see what the stipulations are for keeping the scholarships. If they tell you that you need to be top 1/3, recognize that you have a better than even chance of having to pay sticker years 2 and 3 anyway, with the terrible job prospects that come along with graduating from a TTT. I mean, in the range of schools you're talking about you'll probably have scholarship stipulations no matter where you go, but I'd rather pay sticker at a school ranked 50th than at an unranked TTT (not that I would recommend either course of action).

Also, "no debt tier 3 or 90K at a tier 2?" probably isn't an accurate question. Unless your family is paying for everything besides tuition or you have substantial savings that can support you for three years, you'll need to take out loans to cover your non-tuition costs of attending such as rent, food, transportation, books, insurance, etc.

Also, retake + reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm

If you can just score a couple points higer you'd have a shot at UF, not a bad choice even without scholarships.
Other than that the best option would be FIU. Its a T4, but a decent and cheap T4. You'd have much better prospects for Miami employment out of there than Loyola NO or MSU.

Edit: Plus if you can live at home and go to FIU the cheap tuition would be about equal to your COL at Loyola or MSU anyway. So they'd both result in similar debt.

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:20 pm

The stipulations that have come with schools like Kent are just being enrolled. No minimum grade point or anything. I figure my debt if attending a school like kent will probably be closer to 120k even with half scholly. Tuition would cost me 20k xs 3 = 60k for tuition and Ill probably need a similar number for living.

Retake isnt an option for me. I am pleased with my offers thus far and prolonging law school for another year doesnt seem finacially reasonable for me. My hopes are with my numbers I will hopefully be accepted at UF or FSU paying state school price but since my LSAT doesnt pass 160 I wont know until March. I attended UF for undergrad and dont really want to spend another 3 years here. I would take FSU over UF if the opportunity presented itself.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Just stick with FL schools.

If you get into UF/FSU go there. And I know the feeling, I went to UF Ugrad too - excited to get out. But UF is cheap and would give the best prospects, so that should be a no-brainer if you get in. Next on the heirarchy is FSU, then FIU.

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks appreciate the input guys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

UNO is an okay school. If this is the school you are interested in, be aware that it curves to somewhere in the 2.6ish range (+/- .1). This is noted for scholarship purposes. I know someone who lost part of their scholarship and they are dropping out.

MSU is an okay school. If this is the school you are interested in, find out how the scholarships work.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Any thoughts on Stetson versus Miami Versus FIU. I have no problem settling anywhere in Fl.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 pm

1. Retake.

2. If you absolutely won't retake, find a T3 or T4 school with a fullride in FL. If you want to go to FL you better go to a school in FL. FIU, Stetson, USF, etc. all should be schools you are applying to.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:1. Retake.

2. If you absolutely won't retake, find a T3 or T4 school with a fullride in FL. If you want to go to FL you better go to a school in FL. FIU, Stetson, USF, etc. all should be schools you are applying to.
USF doesn't have a law school unless you're referring to the University of San Francisco. But that's a little far from OP's target market...

I'd only advise Stetson/UM if you have some sort of scholarship. Otherwise go public.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:52 pm

yes i have applied to all fl schools. in at stetson. waiting for financial info. independent of retaking and monetary issues, is fiu even worth going to? sure uf/fsu are tops, but between stetson and um which would you go to ?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:23 pm

drummerboy wrote:yes i have applied to all fl schools. in at stetson. waiting for financial info. independent of retaking and monetary issues, is fiu even worth going to? sure uf/fsu are tops, but between stetson and um which would you go to ?
UM is better overall for the state. But those come down to the cities. If you want to be in Tampa Stetson would be fine, UM is better for anywhere else. But for both those schools I'd really advise against it without $$$. FIU isn't bad if you don't plan on leaving Miami. The main thing it has going for it is that it's cheap (almost half the price of UM/Stetson), and its placement is good for a T4.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31 pm

thanks. i was reading an old post by an attorney that basically stated that it is equally important to feel comfortable with the schools culture and ones personal fit. he warned against chasing rankings since youre more likely to succeed if you fit well into a particular school ( size, accessibilty of profs, location, and overall satisfaction of the student body) What do you think? Not much is written about this aspect of the decision process.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm

gator6589 wrote: Retake isnt an option for me. I am pleased with my offers thus far and prolonging law school for another year doesnt seem finacially reasonable for me. My hopes are with my numbers I will hopefully be accepted at UF or FSU paying state school price but since my LSAT doesnt pass 160 I wont know until March. I attended UF for undergrad and dont really want to spend another 3 years here. I would take FSU over UF if the opportunity presented itself.
--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:49 pm

androstan wrote:
gator6589 wrote: Retake isnt an option for me. I am pleased with my offers thus far and prolonging law school for another year doesnt seem finacially reasonable for me. My hopes are with my numbers I will hopefully be accepted at UF or FSU paying state school price but since my LSAT doesnt pass 160 I wont know until March. I attended UF for undergrad and dont really want to spend another 3 years here. I would take FSU over UF if the opportunity presented itself.
--ImageRemoved--
+1.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm

drummerboy wrote:Any thoughts on Stetson versus Miami Versus FIU. I have no problem settling anywhere in Fl.
Don't go to Stetson or Miami. Period.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm

why?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 pm

drummerboy wrote:why?
Debt, lack of jobs, etc. Even UF and FSU are not awesome bets, though your debt will be low. Plus tuition's goin up

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”