Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
willbrittany
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby willbrittany » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:44 pm

I've been accepted to Harvard, Berkeley and Georgetown. I'm trying to make a decision as to where to attend, but I'm feeling pretty torn up over the different factors to consider:

- I haven't finished my financial aid paperwork, so I have no clue what kind of money I'll get. However, since law schools have this annoying tendency to ask for both parents' income info, I have a feeling I won't be getting very much--even though I didn't receive assistance from my father throughout my childhood.
- I'm an URM (both AA and LGBT). I bring this up because I don't know if it will impact the money I get offered, and because I want to attend a school with sufficient resources for Black and LGBT students. I attended UW-Madison for undergrad, and while I love the place, I don't feel like putting myself through that kind of tokenism again.
- I want to go into public interest law. Of course, this choice also limits my income prospects, and how able I'll be to pay off those fun student loans.
- A big part of me wants to say to hell with everything and just go to Harvard, cost be damned.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 pm

All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 pm

A&O wrote:All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.


This is not as true if one ends up submedian at GULC (or possibly even Boalt).

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

bk1 wrote:
A&O wrote:All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.


This is not as true if one ends up submedian at GULC (or possibly definitely Boalt).

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

harvard. hi fellow badger :)

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby trudat15 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I cant speak for the AA or Gay community at any school, but if you are interested in PI, Harvard has one of the best LRAPs around, so $ shouldnt be that big a factor.

But really, how is this even a question?

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.


This is not as true if one ends up submedian at GULC (or possibly even Boalt).


True until you factor in URM hiring.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:True until you factor in URM hiring.


From everything on TLS, I highly doubt this is going to make up for bad grades.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby St.Remy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bk1 wrote:
A&O wrote:All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.


Also, ignore Bilbo.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 am

You should probably ignore me if you want the perspective of someone who has observed two years of 2L OCIP and two years of 1L OCIP. What's your perspective based on?

There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 am

bilbobaggins wrote:There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.

This is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that OP would still be tremendously better off going to Harvard over either Boalt or GULC if they're all at sticker.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 am

if you're parents aren't wealthy the financial aid at Harvard would probably still result in a cheaper price tag than either of the other schools

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 am

trudat15 wrote:I cant speak for the AA or Gay community at any school, but if you are interested in PI, Harvard has one of the best LRAPs around, so $ shouldnt be that big a factor.

But really, how is this even a question?


Doesn't Boalt also have one of the best LRAPs, maybe second only to Yale? But reiterate what the majority has said, Harvard seems to be a good choice.
Last edited by tea_drinker on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:33 am

I don't know about Black community at HLS, but their OUTlaw is very active, and it's a very welcoming environment.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7667
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 am

The guy said he wanted public interest and yet posters still started arguing about firm placement.
OP, what kind of public interest are you exactly interested in? There is a big range out there.

I can't speak to the climate at other schools, but at Berkeley being AA and LGBT would certainly not make you a token. We do have a far less active LGBT law group than other schools. However, that could be because the LGBT population is really quite high because it's, well, Berkeley. Like any other law school, there are not a ton of AA students. However, there is a pretty active club for students of African descent.

You can PM me if you want, but if you are more specific of what kind of public interest you are considering, I could probably tell you a bit at least about what Berkeley would offer you.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:14 am

bilbobaggins wrote:You should probably ignore me if you want the perspective of someone who has observed two years of 2L OCIP and two years of 1L OCIP. What's your perspective based on?

There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.


I'm not saying you're wrong, it just seems that more 2L's seem to say it doesn't matter than that it does.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby glewz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 am

Visit all three if you can. If you're sure about PI law, Berkeley and Harvard should have outstanding LRAPs; duno which one's better, but I'm sure you can draw distinctions.

If you're unfamiliar with LRAP: it's basically a loan relief program that is contingent upon a certain # years in Public Interest work. Schools often have different definitions of what qualifies as public interest, (e.g. salary caps, list of organizations) amount of $ paid off, your annual payment(s), leeway in working in non-public interest fields / switching back n forth, etc.

On the LGBT note, Berkeley --> SF --> the world's LGBT center


Keep in mind that URM does give you a boost in recruiting. For example, if you are a big more open to considering corporate law, look towards SEO: --LinkRemoved--

Deadline is Feb 15 - it's basically an awesome (and much easier) way to get fed clerkships & firm contacts. AA only (i think)

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:50 am

glewz wrote:Visit all three if you can. If you're sure about PI law, Berkeley and Harvard should have outstanding LRAPs; duno which one's better, but I'm sure you can draw distinctions.

Dude, putting things in bold doesn't make it more right, just more annoying.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.

This is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that OP would still be tremendously better off going to Harvard over either Boalt or GULC if they're all at sticker.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.

This is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that OP would still be tremendously better off going to Harvard over either Boalt or GULC if they're all at sticker.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: galeatus and 3 guests