UVA (90k) v. CLS v. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA (90k) v. CLS v. NYU

Poll ended at Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 pm

UVA
67%
CLS
24%
NYU
9%

Total votes: 116

A&O

Bronze

Re: UVA (90k) v. CLS v. NYU

Post by A&O » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Frankie55 wrote:Would it be right to say that if the OP had insisted on NYC biglaw, the poll results might be different? Or does UVA have a decent enough chance with that market to still make the 90k tempting?
I think CLS and NYU are superior to UVA when it comes to big firms in NYC, but I think the $90k makes up for the difference. It would make it up for me at least.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:34 am

I don't want to make a new thread for such a similar question, so I'll bump this:

What would people say to UVA (90k) vs NYU if you could offset the expenses/room & board of the latter by living at home? If I'm doing the math right, the difference in debt would be about 40k.

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:17 am

Frankie55 wrote:I don't want to make a new thread for such a similar question, so I'll bump this:

What would people say to UVA (90k) vs NYU if you could offset the expenses/room & board of the latter by living at home? If I'm doing the math right, the difference in debt would be about 40k.
I'm a 3L at NYU and love it, but I'd take 90K at UVA. UVA's an amazing school, too, and 90K (plus the cost of living difference) is a lot of money. At a total debt difference of 40K, I'd probably take NYU, but I'm set on working in NYC.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 pm

bk187 wrote:If purely for PI work then I say take the T6 and use LRAP.
U.Va. has a loan repayment plan, too. Plus a $90k scholarship offer.

I can't think of a single scenario where U.Va. is not the CR, even for NYC biglaw. I guess if your only ambition in life is to work for Wachtell, then go to CLS or NYU.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

showNprove wrote:

I can't think of a single scenario where U.Va. is not the CR, even for NYC biglaw. I guess if your only ambition in life is to work for Wachtell, then go to CLS or NYU.
And this is not even a guarantee even if you graduate the top of your class at CLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:59 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
showNprove wrote:

And this is not even a guarantee even if you graduate the top of your class at CLS.
using a V1 firm is probably not the best way to get the point across in this case. there are many other V100 firms that would love a CLS grad NOT at the top of his/her class....i can't really decide between CLS and UVA in this case though. probably UVA ITE, as in right now, but maybe CLS would take the edge in several years when the economy (hopefully) recovers a bit

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

showNprove wrote:

iirc, UVa's LRAP doesn't compare to CLS/NYU's. Plus UVa's LRAP screws you if you lose your employment.

Plus, it seems at least on TLS that PI orgs are prestige-whorish moreso than firms.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:13 pm

bk187 wrote:
showNprove wrote:

iirc, UVa's LRAP doesn't compare to CLS/NYU's. Plus UVa's LRAP screws you if you lose your employment.

Plus, it seems at least on TLS that PI orgs are prestige-whorish moreso than firms.
1. The LRAP's of CLS/NYU are not $90k better than U.Va.'s.

2. Despite TLS' U.S. News rankings obsessions, most firms and PI orgs do not see a huge distinction between the "prestige" of CLS/NYU and U.Va., if at all. Just look at U.Va.'s Lawyers/Judges Assessment scores: they are consistently on par with CLS and consistently above NYU. U.Va. is again and again ranked in the Top 4-5 schools in employer surveys (e.g., Vault).

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:18 pm

What if OP was able to negotiate money from CLS or NYU? 90K at UVA is impressive and maybe they would throw something at him in return. Or do people think this isn't a possible negotiation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

showNprove wrote:1. The LRAP's of CLS/NYU are not $90k better than U.Va.'s.

2. Despite TLS' U.S. News rankings obsessions, most firms and PI orgs do not see a huge distinction between the "prestige" of CLS/NYU and U.Va., if at all. Just look at U.Va.'s Lawyers/Judges Assessment scores: they are consistently on par with CLS and consistently above NYU. U.Va. is again and again ranked in the Top 4-5 schools in employer surveys (e.g., Vault).
Fair enough on the last part, but I would hazard that their LRAP's are that much better than UVa's if you somehow get fucked and don't make it 10 continuous years. How likely is that? I'd guess not too likely but it is worth considering.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:24 pm

eaa1537 wrote:What if OP was able to negotiate money from CLS or NYU? 90K at UVA is impressive and maybe they would throw something at him in return. Or do people think this isn't a possible negotiation?
Wondering this also. Would they consider UVa enough of a "peer?"

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:What if OP was able to negotiate money from CLS or NYU? 90K at UVA is impressive and maybe they would throw something at him in return. Or do people think this isn't a possible negotiation?
Probably not entirely, but throw in an argument about the COL differential, and they very well might throw money.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
The problem is not with whether they consider UVa a peer (they in all likelihood do), the problem is convincing a school that did not think you merited $90k to all of a sudden give you close to $90k. They've already decided to invest their scholarship funds elsewhere, and it's not like a "nominal" $10,000/yr is going to tip the scales. You might as well try, but don't expect them to get anywhere close.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm

showNprove wrote:The problem is not with whether they consider UVa a peer (they in all likelihood do), the problem is convincing a school that did not think you merited $90k to all of a sudden give you close to $90k. They've already decided to invest their scholarship funds elsewhere, and it's not like a "nominal" $10,000/yr is going to tip the scales. You might as well try, but don't expect them to get anywhere close.
NYU hasn't yet given out any money (that I know of). I think CLS has only given out Butlers and Hamiltons.

That being said neither of them are going to give 90k.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:42 pm

ahduth wrote:
showNprove wrote:The problem is not with whether they consider UVa a peer (they in all likelihood do), the problem is convincing a school that did not think you merited $90k to all of a sudden give you close to $90k. They've already decided to invest their scholarship funds elsewhere, and it's not like a "nominal" $10,000/yr is going to tip the scales. You might as well try, but don't expect them to get anywhere close.
NYU hasn't yet given out any money (that I know of). I think CLS has only given out Butlers and Hamiltons.

In that case, OP should definitely inform CLS and NYU of his scholarship (and his willingness to attend if he receives a substantially similar offer from them). They'll take it into consideration.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 pm

showNprove wrote:
ahduth wrote:

In that case, OP should definitely inform CLS and NYU of his scholarship (and his willingness to attend if he receives a substantially similar offer from them). They'll take it into consideration.
Even before they make an initial offer? That's not considered pushy? Wouldn't it maybe be a better tactic to wait on an offer, rather than giving away your "leverage" up front?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Last year there was a spot on the finaid application that asked which schools you had been admitted to, and I believe they asked you for any scholarship offers, as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

This year they've switched to needaccess, so that option isn't there. Good to know, though. Thanks.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Oh god. I was so unbelievably happy I didn't have to bother with needaccess. Yuck.

/me runs off to investigate whether 2Ls have to use this garbage, too

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
showNprove wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Even before they make an initial offer? That's not considered pushy?
No. Don't ask for money--just tell them your current situation and your thoughts on it. They'll appreciate the information. If they really want you, they'll be sure to match (or close to it). If they don't, then you weren't getting anything anyway. As long as you are polite and informative (as opposed to inquisitive), you have nothing to lose.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Word. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”