UCLA (full ride) vs. Harvard (??$??)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Law Sauce

Re: UCLA (full ride) vs. Harvard (??$??)

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Im sorry but its sad to see a Canadian Wolf getting attacked and beaten up by a house cat and a wiener dog :)

maybe not beaten up, but still...

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

UCLA. If you go to Harvard you risk losing your way. You might become jaded and go into BIGLAW.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Yeah, I think it's just tuition, but I haven't received the paperwork yet with exact amount. Sorry, not familiar with the semantics of it. Assumed full ride was full tuition and wasn't aware that some law schools even provide stipends. Does that change things?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:06 pm

It changes the numbers. Do you think that you'll receive financial aid from Harvard ? Plus your thoughts of pursuing public interest may change after a few years. Depends upon several factors including your aversion to debt. Do you have any interest in biglaw ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Danteshek wrote:If you go to Harvard you risk losing your way. You might become jaded and go into BIGLAW.

I lol'ed.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Not true. SMU & Michigan (max. Darrow), Stetson among others offer full rides.

No. The max darrow just includes an ~$7,500 stipend distributed the beginning of 2L year only. The closest I have seen to full rides besides the Dillard is the Townes-Rice at Texas (5,000/yr stipend) and the Vanderbilt merit scholars things.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm

christinalsat wrote:Yeah, I think it's just tuition, but I haven't received the paperwork yet with exact amount. Sorry, not familiar with the semantics of it. Assumed full ride was full tuition and wasn't aware that some law schools even provide stipends. Does that change things?

You should probably still take Harvard over even full ride plus stipend. But with just tuition costs covered I think it's pretty clear cut for HLS.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:10 pm

I'd do Harvard unless I was sure I wanted to stay in SoCal my whole life. Even then its kinda iffy.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It changes the numbers. Do you think that you'll receive financial aid from Harvard ?

I have no idea on Harvard. I don't really have a sense of how generous they are. I know for undergrad Cornell covered well pver half of my tuition due to my financial need, but am also aware law school is different.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 pm

There are dozens of law schools that offer grants of more than tuition & fees. Many offer book allowances & living stipends in addition to full tuition & fees. USNews compiles a list.

P.S. In my experience, Harvard can be quite generous. Cornell's undergraduate financial aid changed significantly over the past three years to be more generous with grants.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:15 pm

christinalsat wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It changes the numbers. Do you think that you'll receive financial aid from Harvard ?

I have no idea on Harvard. I don't really have a sense of how generous they are. I know for undergrad Cornell covered well pver half of my tuition due to my financial need, but am also aware law school is different.

You could do the calculations yourself for Harvard to get a rough idea of your potential award. All of their formula is posted online. Unfortunately, the formula is set to change a bit and we dont get the official stuff until mid-February. I really doubt it will be radically different though.

FWIW, Im in a similar situation to you OP (full scholly at Virginia and Full scholly plus stipend at Texas) and I really think the only things that could pull me away from Harvard are full rides at Chicago(almost definitely), Columbia or NYU and possibly the Darrow at Michigan.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:There are dozens of law schools that offer grants of more than tuition & fees. Many offer book allowances & living stipends in addition to full tuition & fees. USNews compiles a list.

P.S. In my experience, Harvard can be quite generous. Cornell's undergraduate financial aid changed significantly over the past three years to be more generous with grants.

We dont care about law schools.. we care about top law schools. No one cares if SMU has a full ride when this discussion is already Harvard vs. UCLA.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm

If you want to work in Dallas or Texas , it's important. Regardless I was just responding to an issue raised in this thread. If the info. isn't important to you, then ignore it.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:UCLA. If you go to Harvard you risk losing your way. You might become jaded and go into BIGLAW.

lol. +1.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:There are dozens of law schools that offer grants of more than tuition & fees. Many offer book allowances & living stipends in addition to full tuition & fees. USNews compiles a list.

I know! I graduated from Cornell five years ago and would've had my tuition capped at about $3,000/yr under their new program (from what I understand). Still, I can't complain. Cornell was extremely generous with me and I really hope HLS will be as well.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:30 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
christinalsat wrote:

You could do the calculations yourself for Harvard to get a rough idea of your potential award. All of their formula is posted online. Unfortunately, the formula is set to change a bit and we dont get the official stuff until mid-February. I really doubt it will be radically different though.

FWIW, Im in a similar situation to you OP (full scholly at Virginia and Full scholly plus stipend at Texas) and I really think the only things that could pull me away from Harvard are full rides at Chicago(almost definitely), Columbia or NYU and possibly the Darrow at Michigan.

Link?

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:30 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
christinalsat wrote:

Link?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Isn't Harvard's LRAP golden though? I got that impression. Either way, they best chance you have of getting a high paying PI job that would make it worth avoiding debt is from Harvard so I don't see UCLA as really having an upside while Harvard, while there is no financial upside (or downside), does give you the best chance of doing the work you really want to do.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:36 pm

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:48 pm

@Lawsauce: In another thread you wrote that you would take a large--not necessarily full--scholarship at Vanderbilt over full pay at Top Ten Virginia. This seems to run counter to your advice given in this thread. Is it just because it's Harvard ? Thanks.

P.S. I don't know where some posters are getting their figures for Harvard. Harvard Law estimates cost of attendance at about $70,000 per year totaling well over $200,000 for three years.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Also just saw this on Harvard's site:

for students who reach the age of 27 before September 1, the calculated parent resource assessment will be reduced by 50%.

That applies to me. Not sure if it will have a huge effect, since my parents don't have any significant assets to begin with, but it will probably help more than it hurts, no?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Not true. SMU & Michigan (max. Darrow), Stetson among others offer full rides.

No. The max darrow just includes an ~$7,500 stipend distributed the beginning of 2L year only. The closest I have seen to full rides besides the Dillard is the Townes-Rice at Texas (5,000/yr stipend) and the Vanderbilt merit scholars things.

Berkeley has a diversity scholarship that offers a tuition waiver (3 years) + $10k stipend first year. But you can probably get work study for 2L/3L.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Berkeley has a diversity scholarship that offers a tuition waiver (3 years) + $10k stipend first year. But you can probably get work study for 2L/3L.

Is this given at the time of acceptance or do you have to apply? I was accepted, but no word on $$.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Depends upon how much money you haved saved from five years of working. Again, in my limited experience, Harvard tends to be generous with need based financial aid.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:00 pm

christinalsat wrote:

Is this given at the time of acceptance or do you have to apply? I was accepted, but no word on $$.

Apparently you can get it anytime, there is no application, they nominate you (admissions/finaid). UC has a graduate scholarship you can apply for as 2L/3L in Jan. I also read someone who asked for a match last year got this instead. The website didn't mention how many they give out, so who knows.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”