Notre Dame 50% $ vs. IU-Indianapolis 100% $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame 50% $75,000 debt
55%
IU-Indianapolis 100% $0 debt
45%

Total votes: 74

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:10 pm

I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd start a poll anyway. I can barely afford Notre Dame even with the 50% tuition. I would still be looking at $75,000 in debt (together with my $30,000 from undergrad). My post-grad loan payment would be over $1,000 per month. I am NOT interested in the private sector and really just want to do government or prosecuting work in Indianapolis. In otherwords, regardless of which school I chose I will earn around $50,000 post graduation. I would still love to Clerk and try my hand at one day running for county prosecutor, judge, etc. Teaching adjunct in 20-30 years, even if only at an undergrad would be nice too. Regardless of which school I choose, I am assuming my husband will find work and be able to cover living expenses.

BarbellDreams

Re: Notre Dame 50% $ vs. IU-Indianapolis 100% $

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 pm

You want to stay in Indianapolis? You need to take the IU scholly and run, this isn't even a debate. The only way ND would be an option is if you wanted to break into NY or Chicago for biglaw.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:15 pm

angiej wrote:I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd start a poll anyway. I can barely afford Notre Dame even with the 50% tuition. I would still be looking at $75,000 in debt (together with my $30,000 from undergrad). My post-grad loan payment would be over $1,000 per month. I am NOT interested in the private sector and really just want to do government or prosecuting work in Indianapolis. In otherwords, regardless of which school I chose I will earn around $50,000 post graduation. I would still love to Clerk and try my hand at one day running for county prosecutor, judge, etc. Teaching adjunct in 20-30 years, even if only at an undergrad would be nice too. Regardless of which school I choose, I am assuming my husband will find work and be able to cover living expenses.

If you want to stay in Indy anyway, this is a no-brainer. IU Indy places best in Indy. PLUS you'd have no debt (besides for your small undergrad amount, which is doable). Since you want to work for the government anyway, there is no benefit job placement-wise to going into debt at ND.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Are either of the scholarships dependent on class rank? If both offers are not then IU seems like the clear choice based on your career goals.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Also, while beautiful, it is freaking COLD in South Bend!!!

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:Are either of the scholarships dependent on class rank? If both offers are not then IU seems like the clear choice based on your career goals.

That's a good point. At ND, I only need to stay in "good standing" (2.0 or above and don't do anything stupid). At Indy, I must maintain 3.0 or above (which is top 50% of class).

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Michaela wrote:Also, while beautiful, it is freaking COLD in South Bend!!!

I'm 20 mins from South Bend now. So another variable is that likelihood that hubby can keep his job and we wouldnl't move. The problems with that are:

1. Somehow I suppose I would have to move by myself to Indy every summer for networking/clerk ops.
2. Husband hates his job, which is in a factory and he could be laid off at any moment.
3. I want to finally move somewhere - in other words, I've been here all my life.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:23 pm

My fear with not going with the ND option is that somehow I will be losing chances at clerkships or future academia opportunities. But since I'm not interested in firm work (at least not at this point anyway) then I'm thinking prestige hardly matters anyway.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 pm

No brainer. Go to Indy. Congratulations.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Try and haggle your Indy stips down (or away entirely).

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 pm

bk1 wrote:Try and haggle your Indy stips down (or away entirely).

I don't want to look as though I am doubting myself as a student, afterall, I need only remain in the top half of the class. Is this common?

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Hold up hold up hold up... aren't you the "Rudy" person posting all over the ND thread? Why would this even be a question? I thought ND was like your destiny... I am so confused.

dr allen pearl

Postby dr allen pearl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Rudy... ND Janitor by day, IU-Indy Janitor by night.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:12 pm

weejonbu wrote:Hold up hold up hold up... aren't you the "Rudy" person posting all over the ND thread? Why would this even be a question? I thought ND was like your destiny... I am so confused.

Yes, I am one and the same. And ND IS my dream. But practically speaking, my dream isn't to be in over $75,000 in debt either.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 pm

angiej wrote:
weejonbu wrote:Hold up hold up hold up... aren't you the "Rudy" person posting all over the ND thread? Why would this even be a question? I thought ND was like your destiny... I am so confused.

Yes, I am one and the same. And ND IS my dream. But practically speaking, my dream isn't to be in over $75,000 in debt either.

You're so full of shit. You make people cry on the other thread and act like the moon was just hung for you, and now you're selling ND down the river like a whore?

You're no Rudy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 pm

angiej wrote:
bk1 wrote:Try and haggle your Indy stips down (or away entirely).

I don't want to look as though I am doubting myself as a student, afterall, I need only remain in the top half of the class. Is this common?

I don't think it's doubting yourself as a student, merely acknowledging that many things are outside of your control.

I'd say something like "having low debt is a priority to me so I like your scholarship offer. however, I have seen enough to know that sometimes things outside of one's control can affect even the most driven students. even though I do not plan to have bad grades, reality has made me cautious and I would ask that the scholarship stipulations be removed or lessened. your offer is very generous but I am unsure whether I can commit to your institution when there is a risk that I may be forced to take on more debt than I had intended," you get the picture.

TLS makes it seem like haggling for scholarship stip removal is fairly common, but I have no idea how actually common it is. I'd imagine it is uncommon for your average applicant (as they aren't taking TLS's advice) but for someone who frequents here it is probably more common. I have heard success stories on TLS, but again I have no idea how likely or unlikely it is to have that happen.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:21 pm

weejonbu wrote:
angiej wrote:

You're so full of shit. You make people cry on the other thread and act like the moon was just hung for you, and now you're selling ND down the river like a whore?

You're no Rudy.

I guess I don't really know what to say. Did I not mention on the other thread that my other consideration is Indy because I am not intersted in the prestigious jobs that people are willing to go into debt for? Yes, Notre Dame is my dream, yes, I am grateful and the moon was hung for me. No, I am not selling ND down the river. I am just looking at whether I can truly realize my dream to attend ND AND still take the sort of job I want. Is there anything wrong with being practical and not letting my dream ruin the rest of my life financially?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm

A top 50% stipulation is not at all unreasonable. Sure you should try haggling it down, or perhaps asking for some sort of living or book stipend to help defray costs, but if it doesnt work out, Indy is still the better option for someone with your goals.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:A top 50% stipulation is not at all unreasonable. Sure you should try haggling it down, or perhaps asking for some sort of living or book stipend to help defray costs, but if it doesnt work out, Indy is still the better option for someone with your goals.

It's not as unreasonable as many others, but having a 50% chance of losing it seems crappy to me.

downstream

Postby downstream » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm

It seems like IU-B would likely give you something between a full ride and a half ride and would present a good middle ground. Did you apply there?

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:A top 50% stipulation is not at all unreasonable. Sure you should try haggling it down, or perhaps asking for some sort of living or book stipend to help defray costs, but if it doesnt work out, Indy is still the better option for someone with your goals.

It's not as unreasonable as many others, but having a 50% chance of losing it seems crappy to me.

Good point! As I'm sure you can imagine, if I had to pay full sticker anyway I'd much prefer to be at ND!

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:29 pm

downstream wrote:It seems like IU-B would likely give you something between a full ride and a half ride and would present a good middle ground. Did you apply there?

That's the funny thing - I did apply and was accepted, but w/out a scholarship. So I emailed B-town (before I knew about ND) just indicating I'm still interested and never got a response. Then I followed up after I learned about my offer from ND and still no response. Grrrr.

And in case anyone is wondering - yes ND has been my dream since I was a little girl and I never thought I would get in. But, I also never planned to be in so much debt in order to make it happen and unable to do the very work that I'm going to law school to do.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 pm

angiej wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Good point! As I'm sure you can imagine, if I had to pay full sticker anyway I'd much prefer to be at ND!

If you finish 1L below median at IU-Indy you should drop out. If you don't, you go to school for free in the city you want to work in. Again, doesn't seem like much of a contest.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:If you finish 1L below median at IU-Indy you should drop out. If you don't, you go to school for free in the city you want to work in. Again, doesn't seem like much of a contest.

If it's free, I'm not entirely convinced you should drop out though. I mean I can see an argument for both sides, I just don't think it's clear cut either way when the CoA is merely your time and $0.

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 pm

angiej wrote:
weejonbu wrote:
angiej wrote:

You're no Rudy.

I guess I don't really know what to say. Did I not mention on the other thread that my other consideration is Indy because I am not intersted in the prestigious jobs that people are willing to go into debt for? Yes, Notre Dame is my dream, yes, I am grateful and the moon was hung for me. No, I am not selling ND down the river. I am just looking at whether I can truly realize my dream to attend ND AND still take the sort of job I want. Is there anything wrong with being practical and not letting my dream ruin the rest of my life financially?

Ultimately, you need to do what is best for you in the long term. I totally understand your debt concerns and I have similar doubts about which school to attend. I don't think you should feel obligated to choose ND because they accepted you, especially if it means jeopardizing your long term goals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”