Cornell or Georgetown? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
koalatriste

Bronze

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Post by koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Marionberry wrote:
anti-phronimos wrote: Ah, there was a nice volley going back and forth until the cornell troll went from simmering to raging douche on this thread.
Well, Cornell trolls are well known for their volatility.
Georgetown trolls are known for their joblessness. To each his own.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:00 pm

wow, how did i miss this one. you actually bumped a 3 month old thread to say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" to an off-hand comment that (and this is the best part) did not even claim that cornell would have poor NLJ250 placement, but merely asked where you got your information.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

fatduck wrote:wow, how did i miss this one. you actually bumped a 3 month old thread to say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" to an off-hand comment that (and this is the best part) did not even claim that cornell would have poor NLJ250 placement, but merely asked where you got your information.
Hey man, this shit is serious business.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

He made his account to troll Cornell. What the fuck is wrong with some people

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm

koalatriste wrote: Georgetown trolls are known for their joblessness. To each his own.
Also, fuck this. If nothing else, GULC is gonna hook us up with some sweet ass construction jobs.
sheD wrote:Image

This is the photo in the "careers" section of the booklet...GULC fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:09 pm

yo, fatduck, not meaning to hate on your math skills, but it was only a month old. animal solidarity, however. i am very fond of ducks.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:34 pm

koalatriste wrote:yo, fatduck, not meaning to hate on your math skills, but it was only a month old. animal solidarity, however. i am very fond of ducks.
i'm gonna split the difference and say 2, from jan->mar, because i don't believe in days.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Marionberry wrote:
koalatriste wrote: Georgetown trolls are known for their joblessness. To each his own.
Also, fuck this. If nothing else, GULC is gonna hook us up with some sweet ass construction jobs.
sheD wrote:Image

This is the photo in the "careers" section of the booklet...GULC fail.
And not just any construction job, but an Americorps job that pays less than $10000 a year! Hell yes. Sold.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm

whitman wrote:And not just any construction job, but an Americorps job that pays less than $10000 a year! Hell yes. Sold.
I figured the T-shirt was just something a Gtown grad had gotten from a clothing drive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Marionberry wrote:There's also this to explain some of the placement numbers:
fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
whitman wrote:OK, so people will probably disagree, but I think Georgetown, to a lesser extent, has lower placement at NLJ250 for the same reason that NYU does - students interested in government, policy, non-profits, etc, self-select to GTown.
It suffers from a lack of a decent home market, and a huge a class size.

But it has better than average federal placement. For some people that trade off might be worth it. Rumors from their OCI don't really seem to indicate that it is self selection that is the problem.
I have an alternate explanation. I think these numbers are, in fact, direct proof of the influence sites like TLS have on the legal hiring market.

For example, take a look at this year's list. Seems normal, right?

But what if I were to reframe the data with some simple adjustments to the school names, holding the numerical values constant?

As you can see, there is a high degree of correlation between schools struggling to place students and schools which are easily mocked using the exceedingly clever "T" -> "TTT" conversion. This confirms my long-held belief that many of the posters on this forum who claim to be 0L's and 1L's must actually be senior partners in top firms, given their extensive knowledge of every factor that affects legal hiring.
this made me laugh really really hard

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 pm

:D

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 pm

To be fair to Georgetown, the Cornell data for the Class of 2010 was a bit of an aberration. Above the law reports that Cornell's Class of 2011 placed 40% into biglaw, which is more around its norm.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/biglaw-e ... -a-debate/

That said, Cornell is still a much better place to be than Georgetown ITE.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 pm

cornellbeez wrote:To be fair to Georgetown, the Cornell data for the Class of 2010 was a bit of an aberration. Above the law reports that Cornell's Class of 2011 placed 40% into biglaw, which is more around its norm.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/biglaw-e ... -a-debate/

That said, Cornell is still a much better place to be than Georgetown ITE.
I question this. Is it better? I'd hazard that yes Cornell is better, but I think much better is going a bit far. Then again, I'm arguing semantics.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Marionberry wrote:Class of 2010's placement from Cornell was atypical. Cornell has not historically had placement numbers that are significantly higher than GULC, I don't think. I'm skeptical that it's indicative of any bigger trend, as swings like that are not uncommon when you have such a small class size.
I'd beg to differ. In the last 3 data posted, other than class of 2009 in both class of 2008 and 2010 Cornell outplaced Georgetown by more than 13%.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

bk187 wrote:Why would do people treat 1 year as if it has significant meaning when it could easily be attributed to randomness?
Why would people treat 1 year as randomness when it could hold significant meaning?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Class of 2010's placement from Cornell was atypical. Cornell has not historically had placement numbers that are significantly higher than GULC, I don't think. I'm skeptical that it's indicative of any bigger trend, as swings like that are not uncommon when you have such a small class size.
I'd beg to differ. In the last 3 data posted, other than class of 2009 in both class of 2008 and 2010 Cornell outplaced Georgetown by more than 13%.
I'll actually go back and amend that this is close to correct for the 5 graphs I've seen.

It looks like Cornell is normally low to mid 50's where as GULC is high 40's giving a difference of around 5-10% (skewing towards the latter).

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I'd feel safer at Cornell ITE small class plus pipeline to NYC ftw..... that said i think it's pretty common wisdom that Cornell>GULC, they're both great schools but GULC is usually clearly last place in the T14 ( i don't just mean USNWR ranking)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 pm

fuckin' georgeTTTown

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

barry wrote: i think it's pretty common wisdom that Cornell>GULC,
This isn't the case anywhere but TLS. If you want biglaw and don't mind being in NYC, yes, Cornell is better. Historically, from the stats I've seen, GULC typically places twice as many people into PI and govt jobs. The overall placement from both of these schools is not significantly different, though the small class size might give Cornell a slight edge. Out in the real world, I have not met anyone that views Cornell as better than GULC.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Marionberry wrote:
This isn't the case anywhere but TLS. If you want biglaw and don't mind being in NYC, yes, Cornell is better. Historically, from the stats I've seen, GULC typically places twice as many people into PI and govt jobs. The overall placement from both of these schools is not significantly different, though the small class size might give Cornell a slight edge. Out in the real world, I have not met anyone that views Cornell as better than GULC.
Georgetown places so many more people because they have so many students.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:26 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
Georgetown places so many more people because they have so many students.
Percentage wise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Marionberry wrote:
The only data I've seen with breakdowns for PI and gov't (2007 NLJ data) does corroborate that PI+gov+biglaw being equal for Cornell and GULC.

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Marionberry wrote:

+1

big law isn't everything.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 pm

bender18 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

+1
It's worth pointing out, too, that when I say that I am including many lawyers.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:16 pm

Marionberry wrote:
bender18 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

+1
It's worth pointing out, too, that when I say that I am including many lawyers.
Well every lawyer I've met has said Cornell is better. Huh?

Anyways opinions are rather worthless. I'd stick to NLJ250+Clerking stats. While both are relatively similar Georgetown has turned into a diploma mill which hurts everyone who attends it. Their reputation might be stellar but numbers don't lie. Georgetown has been for the last 5 years or so the worst placing T14 school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”