Cornell or Georgetown?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
koalatriste

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:22 pm

bk1 wrote:Why would do people treat 1 year as if it has significant meaning when it could easily be attributed to randomness?

sigh. see the previous post about the past NLJ 250 data. please read the entire thread before you raise a point that was just dismissed 5 posts ago.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:25 pm

bk1 wrote:Why would do people treat 1 year as if it has significant meaning when it could easily be attributed to randomness?

I thought the same thing, but after looking at it Cornell's NLJ250 numbers have historically been higher than GULC's, though not by much. Given Cornell's feeding into NYC, and the possible other factors contributing to GULC's lower biglaw placement, I don't think there's much indicating that Cornell's placement ability is any stronger, outside of NYC biglaw. I'm sure Koala will argue otherwise, but I think that's to be expected at this point. Admittedly I do feel an urge to defend the school I'm headed to, though I do actually feel like it's total placement ability is probably comparable to the rest of the lower T14. I hope so, anyway. :D

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

I think there are many factors that enter into this calculus. But last year was the anomoly. People have been talking all year about Cornell not being a part of the t-12 because of the off year last year. But Cornell typically outplaces its rank in terms of the NLJ 250. Yes, USNWR has it ranked lower than some other schools, but this usually does not correspond to lower placement than other lower t-14 schools.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Marionberry wrote:

I thought the same thing, but after looking at it Cornell's NLJ250 numbers have historically been higher than GULC's, though not by much. Given Cornell's feeding into NYC, and the possible other factors contributing to GULC's lower biglaw placement, I don't think there's much indicating that Cornell's placement ability is any stronger, outside of NYC biglaw. I'm sure Koala will argue otherwise, but I think that's to be expected at this point. Admittedly I do feel an urge to defend the school I'm headed to, though I do actually feel like it's total placement ability is probably comparable to the rest of the lower T14. I hope so, anyway. :D

you're wrong. GULC is a good school nonetheless, but it's not of the caliber of the T-13.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:29 pm

KMaine wrote:

I think there are many factors that enter into this calculus. But last year was the anomoly. People have been talking all year about Cornell not being a part of the t-12 because of the off year last year. But Cornell typically outplaces its rank in terms of the NLJ 250. Yes, USNWR has it ranked lower than some other schools, but this usually does not correspond to lower placement than other lower t-14 schools.

If you're gonna bold a word, at least spell it correctly. Mr. Koalatriste, thank you for being the official Cornell defender :D

bender18

Postby bender18 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:29 pm

deleted, not worth it
Last edited by bender18 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Marionberry wrote:

I do not disagree with this. If I were trying to work in D.C. or if I were trying for a government position, I would probably choose Georgetown. If I were just interested in getting any Biglaw job, I would probably choose Cornell. If I had any other strong factors pointing me in either direction (scholarships, strong regional preference), I would not feel badly about choosing either over the other. MB, you are going to a great school. Best of luck.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm

KMaine wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

I do not disagree with this. If I were trying to work in D.C. or if I were trying for a government position, I would probably choose Georgetown. If I were just interested in getting any Biglaw job, I would probably choose Cornell. If I had any other strong factors pointing me in either direction (scholarships, strong regional preference), I would not feel badly about choosing either over the other. MB, you are going to a great school. Best of luck.

I thought it had been established in the NJL250 thread, that GULC is not even the top school in its home market.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Ikki wrote:
KMaine wrote:

If you're gonna bold a word, at least spell it correctly. Mr. Koalatriste, thank you for being the official Cornell defender :D

That was me, and I am not a good spellur.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Ikki wrote:I thought it had been established in the NJL250 thread, that GULC is not even the top school in its home market.

The same is true of Cornell.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

koalatriste wrote:

sigh. see the previous post about the past NLJ 250 data. please read the entire thread before you raise a point that was just dismissed 5 posts ago.

Cornell is better than GULC because it feeds into NYC. That being said, while there is a historical difference I'd hesitate to quantify the difference as large enough to be significant.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm

koalatriste wrote:you're wrong. GULC is a good school nonetheless, but it's not of the caliber of the T-13.

Are you really this insecure? I'm not shitting on Cornell, dude. It's a great school, and better than GULC for some things. There's really no need to be dickish about it.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Marionberry wrote:
koalatriste wrote:you're wrong. GULC is a good school nonetheless, but it's not of the caliber of the T-13.

Are you really this insecure? I'm not shitting on Cornell, dude. It's a great school, and better for GULC than some things. There's really no need to be dickish about it.

good luck in LRW.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
Ikki wrote:I thought it had been established in the NJL250 thread, that GULC is not even the top school in its home market.

That is true, but Cornell can use the excuse that its home market is 4 hours away, GULC can't.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Ikki wrote:
bk1 wrote:

That is true, but Cornell can use the excuse that its home market is 4 hours away, GULC can't.

Cornell's OCI is in Manhattan, is it not?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
Ikki wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Cornell's OCI is in Manhattan, is it not?

Yep.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Are you really this insecure? I'm not shitting on Cornell, dude. It's a great school, and better for GULC than some things. There's really no need to be dickish about it.

good luck in LRW.

You really went back and edited my quote to mess up the sentence structure? Real mature, koala.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

According to Koala Cornell is the greatest Law School to ever exist. Its so great it outplaces GTown in DC, UCLA in LA, and UT in Texas. You know why? Because its not the 14th or the 15th best law school in the country. Its the 13th.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Marionberry wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

good luck in LRW.

You really went back and edited my quote to mess up the sentence structure? Real mature, koala.

haha, nope. I just merely hit the quote button. it seems as if you realized your mistake at some point between when I hit the quote button and before the "edit grace period" expired.

i sense a thread lock impending.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

There's also this to explain some of the placement numbers:

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
whitman wrote:OK, so people will probably disagree, but I think Georgetown, to a lesser extent, has lower placement at NLJ250 for the same reason that NYU does - students interested in government, policy, non-profits, etc, self-select to GTown.

It suffers from a lack of a decent home market, and a huge a class size.

But it has better than average federal placement. For some people that trade off might be worth it. Rumors from their OCI don't really seem to indicate that it is self selection that is the problem.

I have an alternate explanation. I think these numbers are, in fact, direct proof of the influence sites like TLS have on the legal hiring market.

For example, take a look at this year's list. Seems normal, right?

But what if I were to reframe the data with some simple adjustments to the school names, holding the numerical values constant?

As you can see, there is a high degree of correlation between schools struggling to place students and schools which are easily mocked using the exceedingly clever "T" -> "TTT" conversion. This confirms my long-held belief that many of the posters on this forum who claim to be 0L's and 1L's must actually be senior partners in top firms, given their extensive knowledge of every factor that affects legal hiring.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

koalatriste wrote:i sense a thread lock impending.

snitch

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Mike12188 wrote:According to Koala Cornell is the greatest Law School to ever exist. Its so great it outplaces GTown in DC, UCLA in LA, and UT in Texas. You know why? Because its not the 14th or the 15th best law school in the country. Its the 13th.

pretty sure i never said two of those things (re: LA and TX). also, the office is no longer funny. find a new show.

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Marionberry wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

good luck in LRW.

Ah, there was a nice volley going back and forth until the cornell troll went from simmering to raging douche on this thread.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 pm

anti-phronimos wrote:Ah, there was a nice volley going back and forth until the cornell troll went from simmering to raging douche on this thread.

Well, Cornell trolls are well known for their volatility.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 pm

anti-phronimos wrote:
Ah, there was a nice volley going back and forth until the cornell troll went from simmering to raging douche on this thread.

raging shower...? i don't follow.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”