Cornell or Georgetown?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby bender18 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Diploma mill? Are you serious?

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Look, I get it. We're all insecure, especially those of us outside of the T6, because there's always people at "better" schools, and with as much importance as what school you attend has, it makes sense that we invest so much of our identities in them. Cornell is at the bottom of the T14, according to what is generally viewed as a flawed metric (USNWR), but not the very bottom. Shitting on GULC allows people to feel like they're not the least prestigious of the most prestigious law students in the country. I'm not arguing that GULC doesn't have it's drawbacks, a lack of a viable home market and a huge class size being the two biggest, probably. However, other schools have drawbacks too, and every school isn't a fit for everyone. You don't want to go to GULC? Fine, that's your choice. But to act like Cornell is objectively a better all around school is just kind of stupid. But like I said, I get it. I'm insecure so I constantly white knight for the school I'm going to. Ya'll are insecure, so you hate on schools for which you feel like you can make the argument that they are inferior. Fun is had by all.

FiveSermon wrote:Well every lawyer I've met has said Cornell is better. Huh?

Anyways opinions are rather worthless. I'd stick to NLJ250+Clerking stats. While both are relatively similar Georgetown has turned into a diploma mill which hurts everyone who attends it. Their reputation might be stellar but numbers don't lie. Georgetown has been for the last 5 years or so the worst placing T14 school.


Also, I dont' know why you're being so contentious. I never said that I, or anyone else, views GULC as better. They are peer schools. "Diploma mill" is a fun little perjorative to throw around, but it's not really applicable outside of the fact that, yes, GULC has a large student body. If you account for PI and govt jobs, their placement numbers are damn near identical. Biglaw and clerkships are not all that's out there.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Marionberry wrote:Look, I get it. We're all insecure, especially those of us outside of the T6, because there's always people at "better" schools, and with as much importance as what school you attend has, it makes sense that we invest so much of our identities in them. Cornell is at the bottom of the T14, according to what is generally viewed as a flawed metric (USNWR), but not the very bottom. Shitting on GULC allows people to feel like they're not the least prestigious of the most prestigious law students in the country. I'm not arguing that GULC doesn't have it's drawbacks, a lack of a viable home market and a huge class size being the two biggest, probably. However, other schools have drawbacks too, and every school isn't a fit for everyone. You don't want to go to GULC? Fine, that's your choice. But to act like Cornell is objectively a better all around school is just kind of stupid. But like I said, I get it. I'm insecure so I constantly white knight for the school I'm going to. Ya'll are insecure, so you hate on schools for which you feel like you can make the argument that they are inferior. Fun is had by all.

FiveSermon wrote:Well every lawyer I've met has said Cornell is better. Huh?

Anyways opinions are rather worthless. I'd stick to NLJ250+Clerking stats. While both are relatively similar Georgetown has turned into a diploma mill which hurts everyone who attends it. Their reputation might be stellar but numbers don't lie. Georgetown has been for the last 5 years or so the worst placing T14 school.


Also, I dont' know why you're being so contentious. I never said that I, or anyone else, views GULC as better. They are peer schools. "Diploma mill" is a fun little perjorative to throw around, but it's not really applicable outside of the fact that, yes, GULC has a large student body. If you account for PI and govt jobs, their placement numbers are damn near identical. Biglaw and clerkships are not all that's out there.


Well that's a legitimate point but I'm not really white knighting. I'm just assuming Article 3 clerkships+Biglaw placements as the most consistent basis to rate job prospects from a school (barring HYS).

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:41 pm

This thread has gotten considerably better since its revival.

I think the biggest deciding factor between GULC and Cornell is personal preference. They place in different markets, open up different opportunities, and have radically different student environments. Otherwise, they're (mostly) peers. If I was absolutely indecisive between the two regarding personal preference (which seems very unlikely), I might opt for Cornell, if only because it maintains a very slight edge in placement.

But I would pick Vandy over either of these schools. Go Commodores. :twisted:

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Well that's a legitimate point but I'm not really white knighting. I'm just assuming Article 3 clerkships+Biglaw placements as the most consistent basis to rate job prospects from a school (barring HYS).


I think that's fair, but sometimes it seems like people dismiss PI and govt jobs as relevant to a school's placement ability. I get that most people don't want that, but lots of people do, and some schools (NYU, Berkeley, and GULC) are particularly good in that department. So, I'm not arguing that any school is better than any other, and our collective obsession with ranking and placing everything kind of leads to overlook the fact that not every school is a fit for every student. Also, I was the one white knighting, and still am. Can't stop, won't stop.

VanderbilTTT can suck it. :mrgreen:

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 pm

beachbum wrote:This thread has gotten considerably better since its revival.

I think the biggest deciding factor between GULC and Cornell is personal preference. They place in different markets, open up different opportunities, and have radically different student environments. Otherwise, they're (mostly) peers. If I was absolutely indecisive between the two regarding personal preference (which seems very unlikely), I might opt for Cornell, if only because it maintains a very slight edge in placement.

But I would pick Vandy over either of these schools. Go Commodores. :twisted:


Yeah Vandy is nice but not for me.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
beachbum wrote:This thread has gotten considerably better since its revival.

I think the biggest deciding factor between GULC and Cornell is personal preference. They place in different markets, open up different opportunities, and have radically different student environments. Otherwise, they're (mostly) peers. If I was absolutely indecisive between the two regarding personal preference (which seems very unlikely), I might opt for Cornell, if only because it maintains a very slight edge in placement.

But I would pick Vandy over either of these schools. Go Commodores. :twisted:


Yeah Vandy is nice but not for me.


I was just trollin, bro. Honestly, I think the differences (in terms of relative placement power) between the bottom-T14 are overstated quite a bit on this site. And I think it would be a huge mistake to pick one school over another based exclusively on minor differences/fluctuations in placement. The whole "personal fit" side of the equation is often lost on TLS.

User avatar
Juff
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Juff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 pm

This thread in a nutshell:

People who go to GULC or were accepted there: GULC is equal to, if not better than, Cornell
People who go to Cornell (such as myself) or were accepted there: Cornell is equal to, if not better than, GULC.

I think the point, if the OP still cares enough, is that objectivity isn't exactly easy to come by on TLS. You're better off doing your own research without asking people here to let their personal loyalties do the talking.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby fatduck » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:55 am

Juff wrote:This thread in a nutshell:

People who go to GULC or were accepted there: GULC is equal to, if not better than, Cornell
People who go to Cornell (such as myself) or were accepted there: Cornell is equal to, if not better than, GULC.

I think the point, if the OP still cares enough, is that objectivity isn't exactly easy to come by on TLS. You're better off doing your own research without asking people here to let their personal loyalties do the talking.

Image
Last edited by fatduck on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby mths » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:56 am

Juff wrote:This thread in a nutshell:

People who go to GULC or were accepted there: GULC is equal to, if not better than, Cornell
People who go to Cornell (such as myself) or were accepted there: Cornell is equal to, if not better than, GULC.

I think the point, if the OP still cares enough, is that objectivity isn't exactly easy to come by on TLS. You're better off doing your own research without asking people here to let their personal loyalties do the talking.

sass

User avatar
Zabini
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Zabini » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:43 am

As much fun as the shitfest above is, can we get back on topic of these schools' portability to LA/SF? Would anyone choose Cornell or GULC over UCLA if all were at sticker? With $ on any side of the equation? What about vs USC?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:47 am

Zabini wrote:As much fun as the shitfest above is, can we get back on topic of these schools' portability to LA/SF? Would anyone choose Cornell or GULC over UCLA if all were at sticker? With $ on any side of the equation? What about vs USC?


Not for LA/SF.

User avatar
Ikki
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Ikki » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 am

Zabini wrote:As much fun as the shitfest above is, can we get back on topic of these schools' portability to LA/SF? Would anyone choose Cornell or GULC over UCLA if all were at sticker? With $ on any side of the equation? What about vs USC?


UCLA > Cornell v GULC
For L.A.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:30 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Zabini wrote:As much fun as the shitfest above is, can we get back on topic of these schools' portability to LA/SF? Would anyone choose Cornell or GULC over UCLA if all were at sticker? With $ on any side of the equation? What about vs USC?


Not for LA/SF.


This. USC or UCLA > GULC or Cornell for CA. Plus, if you get accepted into GULC I dont see anyway USC and maybe even UCLA wouldnt give you $$.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby whitman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Not true. Many people get into GTown and Cornell that can't get into UCLA or USC because they're high LSAT splitters, which California schools seem to hate.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby koalatriste » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:21 pm

koala troll here. checking back in...

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby koalatriste » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 pm

whitman wrote:Not true. Many people get into GTown and Cornell that can't get into UCLA or USC because they're high LSAT splitters, which California schools seem to hate.


i normally don't support generalizations, but one this broad must surely be accurate. ALL CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS CLEARLY HATE SPLITTERS.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 pm

koalatriste wrote:
whitman wrote:Not true. Many people get into GTown and Cornell that can't get into UCLA or USC because they're high LSAT splitters, which California schools seem to hate.


i normally don't support generalizations, but one this broad must surely be accurate. ALL CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS CLEARLY HATE SPLITTERS.


They actually do. The good ones anyways.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 am

OP asked about Cornell and GULC. Didn't ask about Cali schools

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:44 am

Emma1 wrote:OP asked about Cornell and GULC. Didn't ask about Cali schools

I appreciate the needless bump and the obvious inability to read the entire thread.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby whitman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:49 am

koalatriste wrote:
whitman wrote:Not true. Many people get into GTown and Cornell that can't get into UCLA or USC because they're high LSAT splitters, which California schools seem to hate.


i normally don't support generalizations, but one this broad must surely be accurate. ALL CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS CLEARLY HATE SPLITTERS.


Never encounter the word "seem" before eh? Or USC/UCLA/BERKELEY admissions? But hell I'll give you what you want: Thanks for your wise anti-generalization statement. PIf you care to, Id be happy to listen to your argument that will doubtless center around a few outliers held up as irrefutable proof.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cornell or Georgetown?

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Emma1 wrote:OP asked about Cornell and GULC. Didn't ask about Cali schools

I appreciate the needless bump and the obvious inability to read the entire thread.



Read the thread, looks like you didn't initially read the OP's question




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests