...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
meliorquamheri

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm

...

Postby meliorquamheri » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:10 pm

...
Last edited by meliorquamheri on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
northwood

Gold
Posts: 4960
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:11 pm

take the job

User avatar
LSATWIZ

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby LSATWIZ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

meliorquamheri wrote:Hi guys,

I've already applied and gotten into law school, but am now having an existential career crisis. I'm a college senior, and have never worked full-time before except in internships. My choice is basically going to HS (which I've already been admitted to) or possibly Y, or accept a job paying $100k per year, plus a substantial signing bonus and non-trivial stock options, to work 40 hours per week in the Bay Area at "a social network".

Benefits of the former: prestige, possibly higher long-term income, suit-wearingness (I like suits).
Downsides: soul-crushingness, possibly terrible job prospects, large up-front costs since I don't anticipate financial aid. But my education would pretty much be paid for through intergenerational transfers. Also, I might not enjoy the work.

Benefits of the latter: a really, really enjoyable lifestyle (I interned there over the summer; free food, free stuff, sweet offices, work from home if you want to).
Downsides: Unclear future prospects. I would be an engineer, and it seems like engineers often have pretty stagnant career paths. Also, I don't really enjoy the work (sitting in front of a computer all day implementing algorithms)

I know that both of these are pretty attractive prospects and I'm lucky to be where I am. I don't mean this as a dick-ish flame, I'm just wondering whether people might have been in similar situations and what they did.

Thanks in advance.

Your LSAT score is good for 5 years.

Law school will still be here in five years.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio

Gold
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Bookmarked for later reading of all the flame comments.

User avatar
M&A621

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby M&A621 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 pm

northwood wrote:take the job

09042014

Diamond
Posts: 18204
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 pm

If you can't stand being an engineer, I doubt law is going to be uber exciting.

However, even if you were 100% sure you wanted to go to law, you should do the facebook job for several years. Save money, get an amazing resume. You'll be golden at that point. And after all that time you may find you want to stay in programming.

User avatar
dextermorgan

Silver
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Dude, take the job, wait for the bottom to fall out, then go to HYS, have a killer story for OCI, profit.

Much better than being half a mil in the whole with a 160k job.

Hell, take the job, then go to Stanford and rake in the dough working for tech companies for the rest of your life.

Are you stupid?

User avatar
dextermorgan

Silver
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:21 pm

northwood wrote:take the job

This.

User avatar
camelcrema

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby camelcrema » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Take the job.

Facebook is set to go public in 2012. Cash out on the stock options. Finance law school education.

005618502

Gold
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Dude, take the job, wait for the bottom to fall out, then go to HYS, have a killer story for OCI, profit.

Much better than being half a mil in the whole with a 160k job.

Hell, take the job, then go to Stanford and rake in the dough working for tech companies for the rest of your life.

Are you stupid?


This is a little rough.

But yes take the job, you would be stupid not to. You can still go to HS in 3-4 years, no way they accept you now, but wont with 3-4 years of significant work experience. Plus facebook provides an awsome job.

Plus you can save enough to go to law school and not have to take any debt. Man I wish i was in your shoes.

User avatar
CG614

Silver
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby CG614 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm

camelcrema wrote:Take the job.

Facebook is set to go public in 2012. Cash out on the stock options. Finance law school education.

jasonc.

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby jasonc. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 pm

lol hes still going to go to law school now

User avatar
bostlaw

Bronze
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby bostlaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

flame guys.

User avatar
iShotFirst

Bronze
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm

LSATWIZ wrote:Your LSAT score is good for 5 years.

Law school will still be here in five years.

User avatar
vanwinkle

Platinum
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

northwood wrote:take the job

This. Make some money, save some money, get some work experience, and then apply again in a couple years. If you could get into H and S now, you can probably get in a couple years from now with WE.

User avatar
BarbellDreams

Gold
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

No brainer. LSAT score good for 5 years, can always ask whether Harvard would consider to defer, can make enough to cover tuition entirely.

Flame? It very well may be though.

User avatar
quakeroats

Silver
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby quakeroats » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Defer the school's offer and take the job. If you haven't straightened things out by the time the deferral period ends do what you can to defer again. This gives you at least two and perhaps three years to figure things out.

concurrent fork

Silver
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 pm

A position requiring zero experience which nets you 100k, a "substantial" signing bonus, work from home, 40 hr/wk, free food, and stock options? But you are considering law because you like wearing suits?

Chouchous

Bronze
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby Chouchous » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 pm

concurrent fork wrote:A position requiring zero experience which nets you 100k, a "substantial" signing bonus, work from home, 40 hr/wk, free food, and stock options? But you are considering law because you like wearing suits?


=flame

delusional

Silver
Posts: 1200
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Yeah, I don't get it. Someone posts about trying for GULC with a 163 4.0 and he's a flame, but this guy's smart enough to get $100,000 out of school and he wants to go to law school? And he's real?

User avatar
Veyron

Gold
Posts: 3595
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm

meliorquamheri wrote:Hi guys,

I've already applied and gotten into law school, but am now having an existential career crisis. I'm a college senior, and have never worked full-time before except in internships. My choice is basically going to HS (which I've already been admitted to) or possibly Y, or accept a job paying $100k per year, plus a substantial signing bonus and non-trivial stock options, to work 40 hours per week in the Bay Area at "a social network".

Benefits of the former: prestige, possibly higher long-term income, suit-wearingness (I like suits).
Downsides: soul-crushingness, possibly terrible job prospects, large up-front costs since I don't anticipate financial aid. But my education would pretty much be paid for through intergenerational transfers. Also, I might not enjoy the work.

Benefits of the latter: a really, really enjoyable lifestyle (I interned there over the summer; free food, free stuff, sweet offices, work from home if you want to).
Downsides: Unclear future prospects. I would be an engineer, and it seems like engineers often have pretty stagnant career paths. Also, I don't really enjoy the work (sitting in front of a computer all day implementing algorithms)

I know that both of these are pretty attractive prospects and I'm lucky to be where I am. I don't mean this as a dick-ish flame, I'm just wondering whether people might have been in similar situations and what they did.

Thanks in advance.


You seem too unintelligent to analyze issues properly in law school. Let me help you:

Issue 1: Do I want to be a lawyer?

Issue 2: If yes, do I want to be a lawyer badly enough to work much harder than I would in this job for what, after debt payments, will likely be a similar rate of pay.

If yes, go to law school.

If no, go put on your T-Shirt and take the hippy-dippy job.


You better hope you get admitted to Y so you don't have to deal with grades.

User avatar
dextermorgan

Silver
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Veyron wrote:
meliorquamheri wrote:Hi guys,

I've already applied and gotten into law school, but am now having an existential career crisis. I'm a college senior, and have never worked full-time before except in internships. My choice is basically going to HS (which I've already been admitted to) or possibly Y, or accept a job paying $100k per year, plus a substantial signing bonus and non-trivial stock options, to work 40 hours per week in the Bay Area at "a social network".

Benefits of the former: prestige, possibly higher long-term income, suit-wearingness (I like suits).
Downsides: soul-crushingness, possibly terrible job prospects, large up-front costs since I don't anticipate financial aid. But my education would pretty much be paid for through intergenerational transfers. Also, I might not enjoy the work.

Benefits of the latter: a really, really enjoyable lifestyle (I interned there over the summer; free food, free stuff, sweet offices, work from home if you want to).
Downsides: Unclear future prospects. I would be an engineer, and it seems like engineers often have pretty stagnant career paths. Also, I don't really enjoy the work (sitting in front of a computer all day implementing algorithms)

I know that both of these are pretty attractive prospects and I'm lucky to be where I am. I don't mean this as a dick-ish flame, I'm just wondering whether people might have been in similar situations and what they did.

Thanks in advance.


You seem too unintelligent to analyze issues properly in law school. Let me help you:

Issue 1: Do I want to be a lawyer?

Issue 2: If yes, do I want to be a lawyer badly enough to work much harder than I would in this job for what, after debt payments, will likely be a similar rate of pay.

If yes, go to law school.

If no, go put on your T-Shirt and take the hippy-dippy job.


You better hope you get admitted to Y so you don't have to deal with grades.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
sanjola

Bronze
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby sanjola » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Take the job and feel it out. You can always leave.

Law school is a huge commitment and won't be as easy to get out of than a job.

09042014

Diamond
Posts: 18204
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Work four years. Save 40K each year. Go to HYS and leave with no debt and a big law job. Pwn idiots like me with 200K in debt.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: HYS or $100k?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm

There is absolutely NO reason for you to choose law school right now over this job. Even if you work 2 years at fb and decide you still want to go to law school, you will not be behind the game at all. Rather, you will be ahead in terms of $$$ and work experience.

More and more people are spending a couple years working before ls anyhow, and this type of job will really help you long-term with legal job prospects.

There is literally zero downside to taking this job and at least giving it a try for a year or two.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests