Schools for National Security Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Brendv7

Schools for National Security Law?

Postby Brendv7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 pm

I understand that National and Homeland Security Law is a relatively new concentration of law in the aftermath of 9-11 but does anyone on here in law school now or graduates with experience in the field have an insight on what schools would be best if one was interested in pursuing a legal career in this field. Thanks.

Grizz

Re: Schools for National Security Law?

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Wait... so you want to work in like a federal govt. agency such as the Dept. of Homeland Security?

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm a 0L but know UVa has a program.

Brendv7

Postby Brendv7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:25 pm

I would not limit myself to that but I have heard there are a lot of legal opportunities in the DHS. I was thinking something along the lines of DHS, DOD, Intelligence Community, but not necessarily government agency as I have read some private firms and defense contractors are focusing more in this field as well.

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 pm

The advice isn't going to be much different from anything else. The better school the school, the better your chances of landing a job with these agencies. The internships are generally pretty competitive as they have few spots, and people from the t-14 on down are applying. FWIW, when I worked in intelligence a plurality of the attorneys seem to have come from George Washington (though they were really from all over).

You should probably speak to more practitioners in this field; people tend to have a misconception of 'national security law' the same way they do for 'international law.'

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:54 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:The advice isn't going to be much different from anything else. The better school the school, the better your chances of landing a job with these agencies. The internships are generally pretty competitive as they have few spots, and people from the t-14 on down are applying. FWIW, when I worked in intelligence a plurality of the attorneys seem to have come from George Washington (though they were really from all over).

You should probably speak to more practitioners in this field; people tend to have a misconception of 'national security law' the same way they do for 'international law.'

+1

Return to “Choosing a Law School”