Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
plmls

New

Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Post by plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Hit the jack pot, 170/3.4, applied to Duke ED-II to try my luck. Just got the call from Dean of UVA with $25K/year, should I switch Duke ED to RD instantly? Help is needed now. Thanks a lot.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Post by BeachandRun23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 pm

plmls wrote:Hit the jack pot, 170/3.4, applied to Duke ED-II to try my luck. Just got the call from Dean of UVA with $25K/year, should I switch Duke ED to RD instantly? Help is needed now. Thanks a lot.
Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be at duke, I would definitely switch that. UVA is atleast just as good (possibly better) of a school and they are giving you HUGEEEEE $$$$$$. I would withdraw that ED app ASAP!!!

ClayDavis

New

Post by ClayDavis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Yes. Call and try to change to RD immediately.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm

urm? instate?

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Call quickly before word reaches Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plmls

New

Post by plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

International student, Asian, and the dean praised my PS and other softs. Still can't digest it myself either, like I said, I feel like hitting a jackpot. Writing to Duke now and get back to TLS later. Thanks everyone.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I would warn you that telling Duke you want out of ED is a pretty good way to not get accepted there, but it sounds like them deciding they don't want you would be better for you anyway.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Since you are allready thinking about going somewhere else, switch now. You obviously wont take duke at asticker over a school with money, so tell them that you want to go RD. You may get rejected outright, but thats a good scholarship to pass up. Congrats!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Cavalier wrote:Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.
I don't necessarily know whether they will allow you to withdraw to back out of your ED. I mean it's worth a shot if they don't allow you to switch, but I don't think it's a guarantee.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

This is very simple....dont be greedy and wait to see if you would get into Duke...who cares....withdraw and dont leave any chance....send an email immediatley and withdraw your Duke app....you are now in at a better school with money vs full tuition as an ED applicant...very simple quesitons/scenario actually

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm

bk187 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.
I don't necessarily know whether they will allow you to withdraw to back out of your ED. I mean it's worth a shot if they don't allow you to switch, but I don't think it's a guarantee.
Neither do I. I don't know how those contracts work. But I think if he (or she?) tells them "I no longer wish to attend Duke," why would Duke want to admit him and thereby knowingly disrupt his plans? I understand why a law school would want to hold people to ED contracts once admitted, but that's not the case here.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Neither do I. I don't know how those contracts work. But I think if he (or she?) tells them "I no longer wish to attend Duke," why would Duke want to admit him and thereby knowingly disrupt his plans? I understand why a law school would want to hold people to ED contracts once admitted, but that's not the case here.
Someone on these boards did this at Penn and got accepted RD a few weeks later.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:40 pm

trudat15 wrote:Someone on these boards did this at Penn and got accepted RD a few weeks later.
This is the exception, not the rule.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm

bk187 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Someone on these boards did this at Penn and got accepted RD a few weeks later.
This is the exception, not the rule.
There was someone else earlier who did this exact same thing at Duke and got waitlisted. So yeah, different schools probably take this situation differently.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I would make your decision assuming that you will be rejected from Duke if you switch to RD. Most evidence suggests that Duke rejects those who switch from ED/RD regardless of what they would have done otherwise. At the same time, if you keep ED at Duke, you most likely will not get any money from them (money is hard to come by for ED applicants in general) so you have to consider that Duke will most likely be at sticker. If you prefer Duke over UVA enough to pay sticker and forgo 25K a year, then I would probably keep ED (if you get in great, and if you don't you still have 25K a year at UVA). If not, even if you like Duke a little bit more but not 25K a year more, then I would ask to switch to RD at Duke immediately because in that case UVA is probably the better option so it doesn't matter whether or not you get into Duke.

plmls

New

Post by plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the following detailed email hasn't arrived yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to give out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I received the same email when I was accepted to UVa. Don't sweat it.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:05 pm

plmls wrote:I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the following detailed email hasn't arrived yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to give out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)
Don't stress! You made the right choice if you had no real preference between UVA and Duke. Also, the fact that you got money from UVA probably bodes well for you to get into more of the T14, perhaps even a couple of the T6. If you really wanted Duke this decision might have been harder as you probably will be WL there (nothing to do with you, but they are usually sensitive to that from what I have seen here) but now you definitely have UVA with 25K per year (nothing to sneeze at btw) with the potential to have even more options by April.

plmls

New

Post by plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 pm

chasgoose wrote:
plmls wrote:I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the following detailed email hasn't arrived yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to give out my info for reference.

Don't stress! You made the right choice if you had no real preference between UVA and Duke. Also, the fact that you got money from UVA probably bodes well for you to get into more of the T14, perhaps even a couple of the T6. If you really wanted Duke this decision might have been harder as you probably will be WL there (nothing to do with you, but they are usually sensitive to that from what I have seen here) but now you definitely have UVA with 25K per year (nothing to sneeze at btw) with the potential to have even more options by April.
Thanks for the encouraging words. Among T14, I do like the college town atmosphere from both (together with UMich). I'll see what happens next as this has already surpassed my top goal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”