Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
plmls
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Hit the jack pot, 170/3.4, applied to Duke ED-II to try my luck. Just got the call from Dean of UVA with $25K/year, should I switch Duke ED to RD instantly? Help is needed now. Thanks a lot.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 pm

plmls wrote:Hit the jack pot, 170/3.4, applied to Duke ED-II to try my luck. Just got the call from Dean of UVA with $25K/year, should I switch Duke ED to RD instantly? Help is needed now. Thanks a lot.


Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be at duke, I would definitely switch that. UVA is atleast just as good (possibly better) of a school and they are giving you HUGEEEEE $$$$$$. I would withdraw that ED app ASAP!!!

ClayDavis
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby ClayDavis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Yes. Call and try to change to RD immediately.

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby blink » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm

urm? instate?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Call quickly before word reaches Duke.

plmls
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

International student, Asian, and the dean praised my PS and other softs. Still can't digest it myself either, like I said, I feel like hitting a jackpot. Writing to Duke now and get back to TLS later. Thanks everyone.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I would warn you that telling Duke you want out of ED is a pretty good way to not get accepted there, but it sounds like them deciding they don't want you would be better for you anyway.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Since you are allready thinking about going somewhere else, switch now. You obviously wont take duke at asticker over a school with money, so tell them that you want to go RD. You may get rejected outright, but thats a good scholarship to pass up. Congrats!

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Cavalier wrote:Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.


I don't necessarily know whether they will allow you to withdraw to back out of your ED. I mean it's worth a shot if they don't allow you to switch, but I don't think it's a guarantee.

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby Snape » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

This is very simple....dont be greedy and wait to see if you would get into Duke...who cares....withdraw and dont leave any chance....send an email immediatley and withdraw your Duke app....you are now in at a better school with money vs full tuition as an ED applicant...very simple quesitons/scenario actually

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.

I don't necessarily know whether they will allow you to withdraw to back out of your ED. I mean it's worth a shot if they don't allow you to switch, but I don't think it's a guarantee.

Neither do I. I don't know how those contracts work. But I think if he (or she?) tells them "I no longer wish to attend Duke," why would Duke want to admit him and thereby knowingly disrupt his plans? I understand why a law school would want to hold people to ED contracts once admitted, but that's not the case here.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby trudat15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Do it instantly. If you can't switch, withdraw your application. That's a lot of money to get at UVA, and unless you have very good reasons for wanting to attend Duke for significantly more money, you should stick with UVA.

I don't necessarily know whether they will allow you to withdraw to back out of your ED. I mean it's worth a shot if they don't allow you to switch, but I don't think it's a guarantee.

Neither do I. I don't know how those contracts work. But I think if he (or she?) tells them "I no longer wish to attend Duke," why would Duke want to admit him and thereby knowingly disrupt his plans? I understand why a law school would want to hold people to ED contracts once admitted, but that's not the case here.


Someone on these boards did this at Penn and got accepted RD a few weeks later.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:40 pm

trudat15 wrote:Someone on these boards did this at Penn and got accepted RD a few weeks later.


This is the exception, not the rule.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Someone on these boards did this at Penn and got accepted RD a few weeks later.


This is the exception, not the rule.


There was someone else earlier who did this exact same thing at Duke and got waitlisted. So yeah, different schools probably take this situation differently.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I would make your decision assuming that you will be rejected from Duke if you switch to RD. Most evidence suggests that Duke rejects those who switch from ED/RD regardless of what they would have done otherwise. At the same time, if you keep ED at Duke, you most likely will not get any money from them (money is hard to come by for ED applicants in general) so you have to consider that Duke will most likely be at sticker. If you prefer Duke over UVA enough to pay sticker and forgo 25K a year, then I would probably keep ED (if you get in great, and if you don't you still have 25K a year at UVA). If not, even if you like Duke a little bit more but not 25K a year more, then I would ask to switch to RD at Duke immediately because in that case UVA is probably the better option so it doesn't matter whether or not you get into Duke.

plmls
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the following detailed email hasn't arrived yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to give out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)

User avatar
oscodasa
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby oscodasa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I received the same email when I was accepted to UVa. Don't sweat it.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:05 pm

plmls wrote:I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the following detailed email hasn't arrived yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to give out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)


Don't stress! You made the right choice if you had no real preference between UVA and Duke. Also, the fact that you got money from UVA probably bodes well for you to get into more of the T14, perhaps even a couple of the T6. If you really wanted Duke this decision might have been harder as you probably will be WL there (nothing to do with you, but they are usually sensitive to that from what I have seen here) but now you definitely have UVA with 25K per year (nothing to sneeze at btw) with the potential to have even more options by April.

plmls
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

Re: Urgent Help pls! In Virginia with $$, switch Duke ED to RD?

Postby plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 pm

chasgoose wrote:
plmls wrote:I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the following detailed email hasn't arrived yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to give out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)


Don't stress! You made the right choice if you had no real preference between UVA and Duke. Also, the fact that you got money from UVA probably bodes well for you to get into more of the T14, perhaps even a couple of the T6. If you really wanted Duke this decision might have been harder as you probably will be WL there (nothing to do with you, but they are usually sensitive to that from what I have seen here) but now you definitely have UVA with 25K per year (nothing to sneeze at btw) with the potential to have even more options by April.


Thanks for the encouraging words. Among T14, I do like the college town atmosphere from both (together with UMich). I'll see what happens next as this has already surpassed my top goal.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests