Does this sound like a terrible plan?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dhbzz

Does this sound like a terrible plan?

Postby dhbzz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Last edited by dhbzz on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DamnLSAT

Re: Does this sound like a terrible plan?

Postby DamnLSAT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:54 pm

As long as you actually like the school, and aren't going just for the hard reasons you posted, I think that would be a good choice. Second to that - Can you stand living with your parents for the next three years? I personally would not be able to. Love the folks, but no more living together.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Really need to know the school to decide this for you honestly.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:12 pm

The money you'll save in cost of living by staying at home is not going to be worth paying sticker at a T2 in a big market.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Living at home is a hell of a ride. Think long and hard before jumping into it.

Snape

Postby Snape » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Sounds like someone trying to avoid the reality of life after college and wanting a purpose or reason to move back home with mom.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Really need to know the school to decide this for you honestly.

Yes. Knowing the school and the market would give us something to go on.

Snape wrote:Sounds like someone trying to avoid the reality of life after college and wanting a purpose or reason to move back home with mom.

Yup.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Probably not worth it from a strict financial perspective.

Retake/reapply is your best bet.

dhbzz

Postby dhbzz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Last edited by dhbzz on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:38 pm

dhbzz wrote:Living at home should not be a real issue for me, my parents are very laid back people. Then again I cannot speak for the 24 year old me in the future. I am also hoping (if everything can go as planned) to possibly move out mid 2L year or possibly for 3L so it would not be terrible staying home for a reasonably short period of time.

Appreciate the nice "want to go home with mom" comment. Very helpful for someone who is simply asking for advice.

The school is St. Johns. I have searched this forum for information on the school and I understand the general feeling toward the program, but I know several recent grads who thought overall it was a pleasant experience and both have jobs (not large firms but one works for the DEA and the other an insurance company making a nice salary).

The debt scares me considering I will not be getting a job that can quickly pay off those loans, although I do not plan on living any sort of lavish lifestyle.

I am interested in law, I want to go to law school. I have followed this site long enough to know not to go to school for the prestige of the degree or expecting to make millions as a partner of a law firm.

Basically, am I really handicapping my future by choosing St. Johns or should I consider alternative career paths?

Not if you work really hard in law school and get great grades

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 pm

jdhakert wrote:
dhbzz wrote:Living at home should not be a real issue for me, my parents are very laid back people. Then again I cannot speak for the 24 year old me in the future. I am also hoping (if everything can go as planned) to possibly move out mid 2L year or possibly for 3L so it would not be terrible staying home for a reasonably short period of time.

Appreciate the nice "want to go home with mom" comment. Very helpful for someone who is simply asking for advice.

The school is St. Johns. I have searched this forum for information on the school and I understand the general feeling toward the program, but I know several recent grads who thought overall it was a pleasant experience and both have jobs (not large firms but one works for the DEA and the other an insurance company making a nice salary).

The debt scares me considering I will not be getting a job that can quickly pay off those loans, although I do not plan on living any sort of lavish lifestyle.

I am interested in law, I want to go to law school. I have followed this site long enough to know not to go to school for the prestige of the degree or expecting to make millions as a partner of a law firm.

Basically, am I really handicapping my future by choosing St. Johns or should I consider alternative career paths?

A T2 isn't the end of the world if it dominates the region. St. Johns, on the other hand, is one of many schools that feed into NYC and is at the bottom of the NYC market. Being in the top 10% at St. John's will land you work, but do the math. That means you have a 90% chance of failing to do that. AND you were under the medians, meaning that you will be with students who (at least on paper) have a much greater chance of reaching the top 10%, making your chance at doing so even worse. HTH

Snape

Postby Snape » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Unless you have really strong family connections that you know will get you a job...id vote on the new career path...hell...itd be much better to just move in with your rents and party all year and figure things out then to start owing thousands and thousands of dollars with thousands of dollars in future interest

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Thats why I needed to know the school. I would absolutely NOT go to St.Johns. A T2 in the NY market has doc review written all over it. If you were talking about a T2 like Case Western, Florida, Pitt, UConn, Temple, Villanova, Rutgers, etc. we may have a different story.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm

jdhakert wrote:

0L spotted

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

0L spotted

Well done good sir, TITCR haha.

dhbzz

Postby dhbzz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Last edited by dhbzz on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:17 am

dhbzz wrote:Thanks for all the responses, definitely something to sit on and think about.

BTW, if I decide not attend any law school this upcoming fall but rather work/retake/etc a few years down the road- do schools look down on a rejection the first time around if you apply to them the second time? I have read they may pull up your old application... any comments on that process?

From what I've read around here, it will not hinder your chances of acceptance the second time around. You will have an extra year of work experience, hopefully a better score and it shows the school adcomms that you are seriously considering the school

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

0L spotted

Well done good sir, TITCR haha.

Wow what a dumb response. There is nothing false about that statement, whatsoever

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 pm

jdhakert wrote:
Wow what a dumb response. There is nothing false about that statement, whatsoever

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you said. You seemed to be implying that if he just worked really hard he could get great grades in law school and then would not be handicapping his future by going to St. Johns. That would be completely false. If you were in law school you would know that hard work does not equal great grades. Also, even if he was at the top of his class I'm not sure how good his job prospects would be coming out of St. Johns. Plus he wants to go at sticker so even if he gets a job out of that school he's gonna be in a shitload of debt. Sounds like handicapping his future to me.

If there was some other interpretation of what you said and you aren't a 0l then I apologize.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”