U. of Chicago or Vandy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
coddus

U. of Chicago or Vandy?

Postby coddus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:10 am

I am deciding between U. of Chicago or Vanderbilt. I am from the south, but went to undergrad in the north. I really love Nashville and know I will have a great experience at Vandy, but at the same time I'm really torn between the two because I am scared that I would be turning down a great opportunity especially in terms of job prospects by not attending Chicago. I know Vandy has good career placement, but Chicago seems to have some of the best placement stats of any school. Although I don't particularly love Chicago and I am sincerely afraid of what the quality of student life would be, it's obvious that this school is among the best. However, Vanderbilt is obviously a great place to live and enjoy three years. Please help!!!!! Would the potential financial gain and career placement at Chicago be worth turning down three years of collegial bliss at Vandy?

Grizz

Re: U. of Chicago or Vandy?

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:12 am

Depends on the money.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 am

coddus wrote:I am deciding between U. of Chicago or Vanderbilt. I am from the south, but went to undergrad in the north. I really love Nashville and know I will have a great experience at Vandy, but at the same time I'm really torn between the two because I am scared that I would be turning down a great opportunity especially in terms of job prospects by not attending Chicago. I know Vandy has good career placement, but Chicago seems to have some of the best placement stats of any school. Although I don't particularly love Chicago and I am sincerely afraid of what the quality of student life would be, it's obvious that this school is among the best. However, Vanderbilt is obviously a great place to live and enjoy three years. Please help!!!!! Would the potential financial gain and career placement at Chicago be worth turning down three years of collegial bliss at Vandy?

yes. but what's the money sitch?

coddus

Postby coddus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:21 am

rad law wrote:Depends on the money.

Money isn't in the equation. Thank you for your help!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 am

coddus wrote:

Someone else paying? Independently wealthy? Chi.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 am

If both at sticker go to Chicago... ITE quality of life for 3 years shouldn't be a major concern if you have a shot at a T6 school. 3 years of possible discomfort in exchange for a lifetime of increased job flexibility/security.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 am

coddus wrote:

Meaning you got no money at either? Chicago

Meaning you don't care about the money? You should you idiot.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:
coddus wrote:

I lol'd. This is credited though.

coddus

Postby coddus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
coddus wrote:

As in money is not my concern. Rather, my concern is balancing job placement and education.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 am

coddus wrote:As in money is not my concern. Rather, my concern is balancing job placement and education.

Desert Fox wrote:Meaning you don't care about the money? You should you idiot.

A&O

Postby A&O » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:33 am

As in money is not my concern.

It will be your concern when you're $200,000 in the hole with nothing to show for it but a piece of paper. Might as well make it your concern now.

coddus

Postby coddus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 am

A&O wrote:

It will be your concern when you're $200,000 in the hole with nothing to show for it but a piece of paper. Might as well make it your concern now.

Would everyone be so kind as to please stop lecturing me on fiscal responsibility? I really just want you to answer my initial question. I would sincerely appreciate any advice pertaining to this initial prompt, as well as any additional comments concerning any issues outside the confines of economics!

A&O

Postby A&O » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 am

I really just want you to answer my initial question.

The problem is that any normal person with the intellectual capacity to be admitted at both schools would consider the economics of the situation. Everyone in this thread has answered your initial question consistently with that in mind.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 am

coddus wrote:
A&O wrote:

Would everyone be so kind as to please stop lecturing me on fiscal responsibility? I really just want you to answer my initial question. I would sincerely appreciate any advice pertaining to this initial prompt, as well as any additional comments concerning any issues outside the confines of economics!

The thing is, money factor represents about the only reason to forgo Chicago for Vandy.

If you really don't care about debt, it's pretty damn clear you should go to Chicago. South will still be there in 2014, 'collegial bliss' doesn't exist in LS anyway (at least not in 1L) and the student life at UChi is just fine. They even feed us liquor every Friday afternoon in the Green Lounge.

coddus

Postby coddus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 am

dresden doll wrote:
coddus wrote:
A&O wrote:

The thing is, money factor represents about the only reason to forgo Chicago for Vandy.

If you really don't care about debt, it's pretty damn clear you should go to Chicago. South will still be there in 2014, 'collegial bliss' doesn't exist in LS anyway (at least not in 1L) and the student life at UChi is just fine. They even feed us liquor every Friday afternoon in the Green Lounge.

Thank you for providing me with a real answer! I really appreciate it!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 am

coddus wrote:Thank you for providing me with a real answer! I really appreciate it!

Don't be a jerk to posters who were trying to help you.

The fact that you couldn't figure out which school is better between Vanderbilt and Chicago for job placement and education purposes is quite ridiculous. The only reason Vanderbilt should even be in the equation with Chicago on the table is if you had a full ride to Vanderbilt vs. a ton of debt at Chicago. Since "money is no concern" you should go to Chicago.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:40 am

Also. What kind of law are you going into and where? Have you thought about perusing the courses at each school online and looking at the qualifications of the professors in your field and the clinical offerings? Have you bugged the hell out of the student ambassadors yet? Are you going to want to work north of the Mason Dixon line? In the end, we aren't going to pay back 200k for you. What do you want?

(Edited to strongly agree about what others posted about money. It matters.)

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:34 am

lisjjen wrote:Also. What kind of law are you going into and where? Have you thought about perusing the courses at each school online and looking at the qualifications of the professors in your field and the clinical offerings? Have you bugged the hell out of the student ambassadors yet? Are you going to want to work north of the Mason Dixon line? In the end, we aren't going to pay back 200k for you. What do you want?

(Edited to strongly agree about what others posted about money. It matters.)

In all seriousness.... If you're certain you'll in no way later develop a desire to leave the south and aren't biglaw or bust then both schools should be relatively equal to you in terms of at-graduation benefit. It just makes us cringe to think someone could choose Vandy over Chi with no money in the equation. But if you'll be happier at Vandy and it more closely matches your career goals anyway, go for it (Vandy isn't bad at all, still semi-national, good job stats - just not as good as Chi).

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
coddus wrote:Thank you for providing me with a real answer! I really appreciate it!

Don't be a jerk to posters who were trying to help you.

The fact that you couldn't figure out which school is better between Vanderbilt and Chicago for job placement and education purposes is quite ridiculous. The only reason Vanderbilt should even be in the equation with Chicago on the table is if you had a full ride to Vanderbilt vs. a ton of debt at Chicago. Since "money is no concern" you should go to Chicago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”