Which Law School Do I Choose? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blindc1rca

Bronze

Re: Which Law School Do I Choose?

Post by Blindc1rca » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:43 am

Dude you're under 21! Take a year off, get a job, save some money, study your face off and come back and annihilate the LSAT. You're so young! I graduated at 20 and two years later I'm still on my "time off" working as a community developer in the developing world. Guess what? I'm now 22, still younger than your average law school applicant, and I'm eternally grateful for the decision that I made.

You can do a lot better than any of these schools, I promise, and the abysmal legal market behooves you to retake.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 am

retaking and postponing your cycle really could mean thousands in scholarship money to these schools

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

NixiNonna88 wrote: Thank you. I've bounced around a lot in foster care so I'm sure I could adapt anywhere if need be. If I get into Vermont I would highly consider there because I really want to study Environmental Law, and there suppose to have one of the best specialized programs. Otherwise, I'm going to take other posters advice and seriously consider Louisville.

I really am thankful for the feedback.
Specialty rankings are meaningless.

Retake LSAT.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Vermont for environmental law which should work well with your undergraduate majors. Mercer in Macon, Georgia is a respected law school. However, neither is a great option for you as the debt incurred might be overwhelming and the career prospects underwhelming. Retaking the LSAT should be your focus so as to become competitive for merit scholarship money.
Among those law schools to which you have been accepted, the University of Louisville seems to be the best--especially if you can qualify for in-state tuition. Louisville, Kentucky is a nice city, in my opinion.

P.S. With a bio-chem major you might want to consider becoming a physician's ass't since demand is high & most start in the 80's.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Or dentistry. Or optometry. Or osteopathy. Or even podiatry. Heck, nursing would be a better choice than law school. The only health care area worse than law is chiropractic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Vermont for environmental law which should work well with your undergraduate majors. Mercer in Macon, Georgia is a respected law school. However, neither is a great option for you as the debt incurred might be overwhelming and the career prospects underwhelming. Retaking the LSAT should be your focus so as to become competitive for merit scholarship money.
Among those law schools to which you have been accepted, the University of Louisville seems to be the best--especially if you can qualify for in-state tuition. Louisville, Kentucky is a nice city, in my opinion.

P.S. With a bio-chem major you might want to consider becoming a physician's ass't since demand is high & most start in the 80's.
Who is Mercer respected by? In my experience, it's certainly not respected by employers.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 pm

This will probably piss off a lot of people here, but Vermont Law IS respected for environmental law. I have a lot of colleagues in the enviro law field who have told me I should go there instead of my current choices, which are all T1. Now, I'm not listening to that advice because although I plan on going into the enviro law field, if I change my mind I will still attend an overall strong law school, rather than one for it's ranking in one specialty. At least if I attend a T1, I might have other options for work, and possibly an LRAP to help out.

If you know you only want enviro law, Vermont is not a bad choice. If you change plans though, Vermont is not known for anything else, and that's extremely risky. Plus, taking on debt at Vermont whether you do enviro or anything else is just too risky, and you will probably be setting yourself up for a lifetime of debt. This is especially true since you won't get a scholarship with that LSAT score, ever. I agree with all of the other posters that you HAVE to retake. It's free since you got the waiver, and any score better than your current one will only leave you with MUCH, MUCH better future options.
Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Mercer has been around for well over 100 years with lots of alums practicing throughout Georgia & nearby states as attorneys & judges. Not for those seeking biglaw, but the majority of firms in Georgia are not biglaw. Granted, if only seeking employment with large Atlanta firms, then this is not the best choice--but the OP isn't getting into Georgia, Emory, Duke or Vanderbilt with such a low LSAT.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:03 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:This will probably piss off a lot of people here, but Vermont Law IS respected for environmental law. I have a lot of colleagues in the enviro law field who have told me I should go there instead of my current choices, which are all T1. Now, I'm not listening to that advice because although I plan on going into the enviro law field, if I change my mind I will still attend an overall strong law school, rather than one for it's ranking in one specialty. At least if I attend a T1, I might have other options for work, and possibly an LRAP to help out.

If you know you only want enviro law, Vermont is not a bad choice. If you change plans though, Vermont is not known for anything else, and that's extremely risky. Plus, taking on the debt that Vermont whether you do enviro or anything else is just too risky, and you will probably be setting yourself up for a lifetime of debt, since you won't get a scholarship with that LSAT score. I agree with all of the other posters that you HAVE to retake. It's free since you got the waiver, and any score better than your current one will only leave you with MUCH, MUCH better future options.
I think Vermont is kind of a longshot with a 144, their median is like a 155

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:03 pm

If education was subject to the whims of the free market, there is no way in hell you would be going to law school.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:06 pm

dr123 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:This will probably piss off a lot of people here, but Vermont Law IS respected for environmental law. I have a lot of colleagues in the enviro law field who have told me I should go there instead of my current choices, which are all T1. Now, I'm not listening to that advice because although I plan on going into the enviro law field, if I change my mind I will still attend an overall strong law school, rather than one for it's ranking in one specialty. At least if I attend a T1, I might have other options for work, and possibly an LRAP to help out.

If you know you only want enviro law, Vermont is not a bad choice. If you change plans though, Vermont is not known for anything else, and that's extremely risky. Plus, taking on the debt that Vermont whether you do enviro or anything else is just too risky, and you will probably be setting yourself up for a lifetime of debt, since you won't get a scholarship with that LSAT score. I agree with all of the other posters that you HAVE to retake. It's free since you got the waiver, and any score better than your current one will only leave you with MUCH, MUCH better future options.
I think Vermont is kind of a longshot with a 144, their median is like a 155
That's true too, I didn't even think of that. Overall, a 144 is just way too low to be considered at most schools.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
NixiNonna88 wrote:Phoenix School of Law
Is there really an online JD program?

I think you're probably aware of this and are just being sarcastic, but Phoenix School of Law isn't related to the University of Phoenix (at least that I'm aware of). I believe it is owned by the same company that runs Charlotte School of Law and one other TTTT or unranked law school though.

And yes, there are some actual online law schools out there now. I don't think any are ABA accredited though, but I imagine that there are some ABA schools that may allow distance JD completion for at least part of the program. That is different from an online law school though, and I'm not positive that any ABA schools do in fact even allow online completion where the school is not primarily an 'online' school.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
NixiNonna88 wrote:Phoenix School of Law
Is there really an online JD program?

I think you're probably aware of this and are just being sarcastic, but Phoenix School of Law isn't related to the University of Phoenix (at least that I'm aware of). I believe it is owned by the same company that runs Charlotte School of Law and one other TTTT or unranked law school though.

And yes, there are some actual online law schools out there now. I don't think any are ABA accredited though, but I imagine that there are some ABA schools that may allow distance JD completion for at least part of the program. That is different from an online law school though, and I'm not positive that any ABA schools do in fact even allow online completion where the school is not primarily an 'online' school.
"I can't believe it's a law school!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:37 pm

I was being sarcastic. Paying to attend any of the schools OP has been accepted at would be a terrible decision.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Please take the advice of the previous posters. Take a year off, kill the LSAT, your choices will be so much better.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:40 pm

OP, where do you live now?

Anyway, I really think you should work and not take out debt for law school; especially since you have to take care of a sibling. Apply for every single lab job/undergrad science job in your immediate area (or wherever you can move to). You can come back to law school when you are older and on more solid financial footing. You will probably do better on the LSAT then too. You are 21. Law school can wait.

NixiNonna88

New

Post by NixiNonna88 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:59 pm

I live in New-York City right now.. I think unless I'm feeling extremely anxious to get right to law school. I will take a year off and retake the LSAT and maybe I won't feel so stressed trying to cram it into finals week. I was doing really good in my prep class, pulling a 159-160 the entire time so I felt confident. I honestly have no idea what happened on the real thing. Panic just set in and killed me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 pm

NixiNonna88 wrote:I live in New-York City right now.. I think unless I'm feeling extremely anxious to get right to law school. I will take a year off and retake the LSAT and maybe I won't feel so stressed trying to cram it into finals week. I was doing really good in my prep class, pulling a 159-160 the entire time so I felt confident. I honestly have no idea what happened on the real thing. Panic just set in and killed me.
I would take more than a year if I were you (I would take like 5 years if not more). Focus on getting a job, not the LSAT. The last thing someone in your position needs is to deal with loans for law school. You have a non-useless degree. Use it.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm

keg411 wrote:I would take more than a year if I were you (I would take like 5 years if not more). Focus on getting a job, not the LSAT. The last thing someone in your position needs is to deal with loans for law school. You have a non-useless degree. Use it.
Very, VERY good advice.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:44 pm

since you have a family to take care of. take care of your younger sibling(s). You need to be there for them, to provide for them,and make sure they get a solid foundation in life. While you have not choesen this role, you are their parent as of right now. You will have to put off law school for a while, but you are very young, so this will work in your favor. Get a job, and make sure your sibling is as prepared as possible for life outside school. You have to consider your family in this case. While you are providing for them, focus on what you want to do. I dont know how old your sibling is, but you need to make sure that they get out of high school, and dont wind up in a gang or in jail or worse. Your situtation is very harsh, but you need to be a guiding light for your family. Work and provide for them. If you want to go to school afterwords, you will have lot of work experience, and a fantastic and moving story to tell. Along with more time to prep for the LSAT, you will increase your chances at getting a decent scholarship offer.

Dreams are great, and sometimes fade. Family ties remain for life.

best of luck.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 pm

To the OP I hope everything works out for you good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

NixiNonna88 wrote:So here are the basics:

I did terrible on the LSAT :cry: And, I do mean terrible. I scored a 144. ( I just don't have the money to retake the test.)

But, I have quite a good GPA for a science double major (3.49, Biology and Chemistry) and I go to a top ranked undergraduate college. I'm under 21, an orphan, and a legal guardian to my younger sibling so I have a moving personal statement working in my favor.

Here are the schools of which I was accepted:

Atlanta's John Marshall School of Law

Phoenix School of Law

Creighton Law School

Thomas M. Cooley Law School.

Florida Coastal School of Law

Hamline Law School

University of Louisville's Brandeis School of Law

Waiting to hear back from:

Vermont Law School

New York Law School

Northern Illinois University College of Law

Appalachian School of Law

Ave Maria School of Law

Mercer University School of Law.

So my question is. Out of these schools (assuming I get into the one's I'm waiting to hear back from) which one should I choose to attend? Are there any other schools you would recommend I apply to? I know these are not top ranked law schools and my LSAT score was pitiful to say the least but I'm just working with what I have.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.
Flame? Those are all randomly placed schools.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm

dr123 wrote:Go to Louisville, it's a pretty good school and has a good rep in KY. On a side no offense, but how did you get into lousiville, your lsat is like 10 pts below their 25
Louisville takes a couple of hard luck stories with good PS every year.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm

( I just don't have the money to retake the test.)
You can't afford NOT to retake. Wait until the fall to apply.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”