Schools/Paths for Clerkships

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reaisan

Schools/Paths for Clerkships

Postby reaisan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Hello!

Even TTT schools claim they're a great foot-in-the doors for state clerkships. :( So, I wanted to ask where others have looked to determine schools with good clerkship prospects. I can't seem to find much reliable stuff unless its about biglaw.

Is it really as simple as excelling in the top school in your state?

I'd like to be in Georgia (so Emory or UGA) or near DC (So MD, VA schools too) ideally.

Lastly, does one still shoot for the strongest school in your region if a federal position is your end goal? Seems like HYS or bust in the number of clerkships offered. How else do you get federal offers?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by reaisan on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nosaj123

Re: Schools/Paths for Clerkships

Postby nosaj123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 am

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 am

If you want to clerk for a federal judge, go to the best school you can get into and do as well as possible.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:15 pm

reaisan wrote:Hello!

Even TTT schools claim they're a great foot-in-the doors for state clerkships. :( So, I wanted to ask where others have looked to determine schools with good clerkship prospects. I can't seem to find much reliable stuff unless its about biglaw.

I'd like to be in Georgia (so Emory or UGA) or near DC (So MD, VA schools too) ideally.

Lastly, does one still shoot for the strongest school in your region if a federal position is your end goal? Seems like HYS or bust in the number of clerkships offered. How else do you get federal offers?

Thanks in advance.

Luckily for you, op, Georgia apparently places unusually well in federal clerkships.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 pm

francisConn wrote:
reaisan wrote:Hello!

Thanks in advance.

Luckily for you, op, Georgia apparently places unusually well in federal clerkships.

Probably not so well ITE.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks, Francis!

Touche, Vamedic! ITE, the numbers may go down, but that's still good news.

14% of UGA 2009 got a judicial clerkship. Not sure how much faith to put in to it, or if that's a decent number.

This school would definitely be great for state clerkships.

As for federal placement, I'd still like people's opinions on schools.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:33 pm

nosaj123 wrote:2008 clerkship placement:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... iii_clerks

I'm not sure these stats are actually helpful. Is it really because Duke (not a top 10 school) places better in Art. III clerkships than NYU (a T6)? Or is it because fewer NYU grads apply for a clerkship in the first place? The same for Vandy and Georgia compared to Michigan and Berkeley. Along with percentages of graduating classes, we'd need to see percentages of applications. Or even knowing what percentage of all Art. III clerks come from each school would be more helpful.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm

reversejinx wrote:
nosaj123 wrote:2008 clerkship placement:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... iii_clerks

I'm not sure these stats are actually helpful. Is it really because Duke (not a top 10 school) places better in Art. III clerkships than NYU (a T6)? Or is it because fewer NYU grads apply for a clerkship in the first place? The same for Vandy and Georgia compared to Michigan and Berkeley. Along with percentages of graduating classes, we'd need to see percentages of applications. Or even knowing what percentage of all Art. III clerks come from each school would be more helpful.

Well NYU grads probably apply to more competitive districts as well. Duke probably does very well in the south with federal clerkship placement, and a federal judge in that district might even favor a Duke grad over an NYU grad.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”