People interested in public interest law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
akili

Gold

Re: People interested in public interest law

Post by akili » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
akili wrote:I'm glad you bumped this! It's nice to see schools compared for what I'm actually most interested in!
+1

Gets old hearing about big law blablabla DC blablabla...firms blabla, although I know it is relevant to many people on TLS. :roll:
Thanks. It's responses like this that leads many people to believe that us PI kids are arrogant assholes who believe themselves morally superior to others. They want to go biglaw, not rape children. Knock that shit off.
Wut.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:46 pm

NZA wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
akili wrote:I'm glad you bumped this! It's nice to see schools compared for what I'm actually most interested in!
+1

Gets old hearing about big law blablabla DC blablabla...firms blabla, although I know it is relevant to many people on TLS. :roll:
Thanks. It's responses like this that leads many people to believe that us PI kids are arrogant assholes who believe themselves morally superior to others. They want to go biglaw, not rape children. Knock that shit off.
Dude. GTFO
Who the fuck are you, Junior?

You GTFO.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 pm

bjsesq wrote:Who the fuck are you, Junior?

You GTFO.
:lol:

TITCR

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
+1

Diff'rent strokes, Diff'rent folks. No one is claiming some sort of moral high ground for wanting to go into PI, I completely respect those who go into BigLaw, but it's not for me

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:52 pm

dr123 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
+1

Diff'rent strokes, Diff'rent folks. No one is claiming some sort of moral high ground for wanting to go into PI, I completely respect those who go into BigLaw, but it's not for me
Perhaps my response was a little harsh, so I apologize for that. The law school I attend sends a lot of people to biglaw, and many of them are good people. I would die in biglaw, but that's just me. Some kids garner reputations for themselves pretty quickly as being sanctimonious dicks if they aren't careful. Just be aware: if you go to a top tier law school, you are likely going to be in the minority if you want to go PI. TLS is somewhat representative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elizabeth J

New

Post by Elizabeth J » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:38 pm

PUBLIC INTEREST LAW OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE

Law Clerk and Externship Opportunities with the Scharf-Norton Center for Constitutional Litigation litigating constitutional issues for limited government in the public interest.

• Paid clerkships
o Summer clerks work 40 hours per week, usually on stipend
o Fall/spring clerks work up to 20 hours per week, up to $13 per hour

• Externships, for course credit toward J.D. degree
o Externs work the number of hours required by their school

Clerks and externs perform hands-on legal work and heavily participate in the litigation process. They engage primarily in intensive legal research for cases on the Center’s litigation docket. They are also expected to assist in drafting legal documents, researching and assessing potential cases, and developing litigation strategy.

Successful applicants have a strong work ethic, exceptional legal research skills, and an understanding of classical liberal principles. They also must be personable and have a good sense of humor and be familiar with the Institute’s cases.

The Goldwater Institute, one of the nation’s preeminent free-market policy organizations, works through research and education to broaden the parameters of policy discussions to allow consideration of policies consistent with the founding principles of free societies. The Center for Constitutional Litigation files lawsuits against governments that abuse or exceed their legal authority, primarily in the areas of economic liberty, property rights, and school choice.

To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and a legal writing sample to Christina Kohn, Goldwater Institute, 500 E. Coronado Road, Phoenix, AZ 85004, or to csitren@goldwaterinstitute.org. Please note clearly in your cover letter (1) whether you are in your first or second year of law school, and (2) whether you are applying for a clerkship, externship, or both.

For more information: Visit --LinkRemoved-- or contact Christina Kohn at ckohn@goldwaterinstitute.org.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:57 pm

preLaw magazine ranks/grades the top law schools in public interest:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... ex.php#/26

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 pm

[quote="bjsesq]Perhaps my response was a little harsh, so I apologize for that. The law school I attend sends a lot of people to biglaw, and many of them are good people. I would die in biglaw, but that's just me. Some kids garner reputations for themselves pretty quickly as being sanctimonious dicks if they aren't careful. Just be aware: if you go to a top tier law school, you are likely going to be in the minority if you want to go PI. TLS is somewhat representative.[/quote]

There's a middle ground.

To be honest, our country and our world would be better off if more intelligent young people went into PI jobs. Does this make someone a bad person for not doing PI work? Of course not. However, this doesn't necessarily mean it's not the better moral choice.

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:48 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:preLaw magazine ranks/grades the top law schools in public interest:

And NYU goes unranked? :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 pm

mmm
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm

dr123 wrote:
vicuna wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:preLaw magazine ranks/grades the top law schools in public interest:

Don't most students go to NYU for BigLaw? Ranking public interest programs seems kind of self selective to me,
It's my understanding that NYU places a good deal of emphasis on PI work. Of course, it's not a bad choice if you want private practice stuff, either.

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 pm

so glad I found this thread!

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 pm

dr123 wrote:
vicuna wrote:

Don't most students go to NYU for BigLaw? Ranking public interest programs seems kind of self selective to me,
I think NYU is second only to Berkeley in percentage pursuing PI/Gov.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

lllllll
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm

dr123 wrote: I dunno bout that dude, NYU isn't listed in the EJW guide, but 40 % of harvard grads go into PI which is more than berkeley and lowered ranks school like vermont and cuny law have well over half of their students going into PI
Huh?

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 pm

lllllll
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 pm

dr123 wrote:
vicuna wrote:
dr123 wrote: I dunno bout that dude, NYU isn't listed in the EJW guide, but 40 % of harvard grads go into PI which is more than berkeley and lowered ranks school like vermont and cuny law have well over half of their students going into PI
Huh?

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf
Those numbers are kind of old, the EJW has harvard listed for about 40% into Pi and there numbers are more recent. but NYU didn't participate in EJW's survey so I dunno Also U washington and u cinci are both up there with boalt on the nlj

Edit: I'm not saying NYU is a bad school to go to if one desires to go into pi if anyone is getting that impression, NYU is a great school
Yeah I heard that they're especially solid if you want to do government/crim law. But they're a great school for any type of PI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Does the 40% for Harvard PI include federal clerkships?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:38 am

dr123 wrote:
Those numbers are kind of old, the EJW has harvard listed for about 40% into Pi and there numbers are more recent. but NYU didn't participate in EJW's survey so I dunno Also U washington and u cinci are both up there with boalt on the nlj

Edit: I'm not saying NYU is a bad school to go to if one desires to go into pi if anyone is getting that impression, NYU is a great school
1) Where are you getting this 40% figure? EJW says that Harvard places 29% into "public service" and that Boalt places 28%.

2) Harvard's PI placement did not spike by 200% in two years.

3) These figures are clearly not only based on what is traditionally referred to as "public interest." For example, in one of their recent classes, Chicago sent exactly 1 student into "public interest." However, EJW claims that their "public service" placement is 16%. Typically, even the most PI-focused T14 schools (NYU, Berkeley, etc) advertise about their PI placement as about 9-12%.

4) Despite my last three bullet points, the percentage of a class opting for PI work tells us much more about the student body than it does about placement. A school like Cincinnati may have a high percentage going into "public interest," and that is commendable, but these are probably going to be the PI jobs that T14 students didn't want. A better measure is going to organizations like the ACLU's website and checking out the attorney bios.

5) Arguably, the two most important factors in choosing a school for PI are 1) LRAP and 2) institutional support (in terms of networking, interviews, counseling, summer funding, etc.). The EJW guide, as well-intentioned as it may be, does not include information in either of these areas.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 am

good find. thanks posters

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 am

The truth is that among the top 10 or so schools, it doesn't matter where you go for public interest. Just because more people from a school pursue it doesn't mean it's better. If anything, it could mean more competition for clinic opportunities or things like that. If you are fortunate enough to be choosing between these schools, pick the one that's the best fit for you and has the best classes and programs to your liking. "Such and such school is better for public interest" is really a bad reason to pick a school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 am

worldtraveler wrote:The truth is that among the top 10 or so schools, it doesn't matter where you go for public interest. Just because more people from a school pursue it doesn't mean it's better. If anything, it could mean more competition for clinic opportunities or things like that. If you are fortunate enough to be choosing between these schools, pick the one that's the best fit for you and has the best classes and programs to your liking. "Such and such school is better for public interest" is really a bad reason to pick a school.
I would second all of this. After that, also look at LRAPs (though in the top ten, they're getting pretty comparable for the most part), and VISIT! Find out how you think you might like the place.

Finally, I think PI practice tends to be a little more regional focused than biglaw, even at the best schools. That's not to say you can't go to Harvard and end up at the SF PDs office, but it might be easier from Boalt, especially if you can get internships and connections there during the semester.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Truth, except for the fact no one ends up at the SF PD's Office straight out.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:08 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Truth, except for the fact no one ends up at the SF PD's Office straight out.
This has become increasingly difficult for Cook County as well.

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you for starting this thread.

Question for all of you PI people out there -- how heavily are you weighing scholarship money in which law school you pick? Personally, I know that my career path is not going to be able to sustain a huge amount of debt so scholarship money is very important to me. What are your thoughts on scholarship money vs. rank/prestige?

Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”