People interested in public interest law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dr123

Gold

People interested in public interest law

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 pm

hey everyone, I just came across a really helpful site when choosing between law school for those of us who want to go into public interest law, the equal justice works guide to law school. It tells you about public interest scholarships, employment, and pretty much everything you can think of about public interest law in relation to law school

http://www.ejwguide.com/

NZA

Silver

Re: People interested in public interest law

Post by NZA » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 pm

dr123 wrote:hey everyone, I just came across a really helpful site when choosing between law school for those of us who want to go into public interest law, the equal justice works guide to law school. It tells you about public interest scholarships, employment, and pretty much everything you can think of about public interest law in relation to law school

Awesome! Good find, shoe.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 pm

dr123 wrote:hey everyone, I just came across a really helpful site when choosing between law school for those of us who want to go into public interest law, the equal justice works guide to law school. It tells you about public interest scholarships, employment, and pretty much everything you can think of about public interest law in relation to law school

OMG you're AWESOME!!!!!

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks so much!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm

If you haven't yet, look into equal justice works (http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/) they offer summer programs and fellowships for public interest law and are in general an awesome resource

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 pm

awesome resource bump

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm glad you bumped this! It's nice to see schools compared for what I'm actually most interested in!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Can someone define "Public Interest Law"? The term makes me think of things like being a public defender or working for the ACLU, etc...Would you say this is accurate?
This probably won't be very popular on this forum, but I am interested in working for the Goldwater Institute, or Heritage Foundation. Would these qualify as public interest?
Thanks.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Capitol A wrote:Can someone define "Public Interest Law"? The term makes me think of things like being a public defender or working for the ACLU, etc...Would you say this is accurate?
This probably won't be very popular on this forum, but I am interested in working for the Goldwater Institute, or Heritage Foundation. Would these qualify as public interest?
Thanks.
its a pretty ambiguous term, but It can be defined as representing vulnerable members/aspects of society. Goldwater Institute and Heritage Foundation are both public policy think tanks right? I'd say they're in the grey area of public interest law

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

dr123 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Can someone define "Public Interest Law"? The term makes me think of things like being a public defender or working for the ACLU, etc...Would you say this is accurate?
Thanks.
its a pretty ambiguous term, but It can be defined as representing vulnerable members/aspects of society. Goldwater Institute and Heritage Foundation are both public policy think tanks right? I'd say they're in the grey area of public interest law
Thanks.
Yeah, The Goldwater Institute is the one I would be most interested in, and they call themselves a "libertarian think tank." They are involved in public policy, and also a lot fighting for business and property rights. Hard to say if those would necessarily be 'vulnerable groups.' I guess that would be case dependent.
Thanks again. Your definition makes sense to me. Helps a lot.

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

akili wrote:I'm glad you bumped this! It's nice to see schools compared for what I'm actually most interested in!
+1

Gets old hearing about big law blablabla DC blablabla...firms blabla, although I know it is relevant to many people on TLS. :roll:

edit: for high bump-worthiness quotient

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Capitol A wrote:
dr123 wrote:
Thanks.
Thanks.
Yeah, The Goldwater Institute is the one I would be most interested in, and they call themselves a "libertarian think tank." They are involved in public policy, and also a lot fighting for business and property rights. Hard to say if those would necessarily be 'vulnerable groups.' I guess that would be case dependent.
Thanks again. Your definition makes sense to me. Helps a lot.
yea all of the terms i used are very ambiguous and can be defined differently by pretty much everyone, I think public policy is grey area because of many ways policy can be used to serve different agendas. A lot of times policy can be used as self serving or against promoting the general welfare of society so it's hard to to say that it's all promoting what's in the general public's best interest. Then again, what's in the public's best interest is also highly subjectve

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Thank you for posting!!! Awesome resource :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:07 pm

doppelganger wrote:
akili wrote:I'm glad you bumped this! It's nice to see schools compared for what I'm actually most interested in!
+1

Gets old hearing about big law blablabla DC blablabla...firms blabla, although I know it is relevant to many people on TLS. :roll:

Haha I love TLS, but it is nice to know there are other people out there that want to do public interest!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:08 pm

yea all of the terms i used are very ambiguous and can be defined differently by pretty much everyone, I think public policy is grey area because of many ways policy can be used to serve different agendas. A lot of times policy can be used as self serving or against promoting the general welfare of society so it's hard to to say that it's all promoting what's in the general public's best interest. Then again, what's in the public's best interest is also highly subjectve
This couldn't be more right...I'd be interested to know if the Goldwater Institute would qualify as public interest for the purposes of LRAPs...Probably not.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:10 pm

doppelganger wrote:
+1

+1 for other interests as well. I don't know for certain that I will be doing seeking a public interest career, but I am close to certain I will not be seeking big law. Chances at big law seems to be the primary deciding factor in choosing a school on TLS.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Capitol A wrote:
This couldn't be more right...I'd be interested to know if the Goldwater Institute would qualify as public interest for the purposes of LRAPs...Probably not.
Since the Goldwater Instutite is a Non prof (not sure if it is, just guessing) I bet it does qualify for lrap

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Capitol A wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
+1

+1 for other interests as well. I don't know for certain that I will be doing seeking a public interest career, but I am close to certain I will not be seeking big law. Chances at big law seems to be the primary deciding factor in choosing a school on TLS.
Yeah me too! I think I want to do the whole ADA/US Attorney/FBI route. Pretty excited about it actually.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful. I am 99.1% positive that I won't be going the big law route.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:32 pm

doppelganger wrote:
+1

+1, too. I don't care about big law, or selling almost all of the waking hours of my life to a company to make dough.
I <3 enviro public interest.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:24 pm

akili wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
+1

Haha I love TLS, but it is nice to know there are other people out there that want to do public interest!
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 pm

--ImageRemoved--

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:42 pm

dulcatis wrote:--ImageRemoved--
that is TOO cute!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 pm

doppelganger wrote:
+1

Thanks. It's responses like this that leads many people to believe that us PI kids are arrogant assholes who believe themselves morally superior to others. They want to go biglaw, not rape children. Knock that shit off.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 pm

bjsesq wrote:
doppelganger wrote:
+1

Thanks. It's responses like this that leads many people to believe that us PI kids are arrogant assholes who believe themselves morally superior to others. They want to go biglaw, not rape children. Knock that shit off.
Dude. GTFO

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”