Part Time Stetson or Full Time U. New Hampshire

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
elegally

Part Time Stetson or Full Time U. New Hampshire

Postby elegally » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey everyone. Do you think I should go Stetson part time or UNH full time? I know both are regional- but I have a job lined up ( my family owns a firm ). So - where would you go?

Grizz

Re: Part Time Stetson or Full Time U. New Hampshire

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Job lined up? Wherever's cheapest, duh.

elegally

Postby elegally » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm

rad law wrote:Job lined up? Wherever's cheapest, duh.

Stetson is cheaper, but I'm really interested in IP law.... Not sure what to do. Thanks for the advice though.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:05 pm

elegally wrote:
rad law wrote:Job lined up? Wherever's cheapest, duh.

Stetson is cheaper, but I'm really interested in IP law.... Not sure what to do. Thanks for the advice though.

Specialty rankings are meaningless. Just go to Stetson.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:25 pm

How much cheaper is Stetson for you?

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:49 am

UNH = #1 of 1 in NH
Stetson = #4 or #5 of 11 in FL

UNH

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 am

UNH is actually pretty well respected for IP in the Northeast. I think you would find a number of courses there geared for your specialty. I would go there.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:36 am

In what state does your family own a firm?

My answer might change but I would to UNH over stetson. Stetson will allow you to get the degree done quicker, their strong in your interests career wise, and it's not like stetson has a name of any sort in Florida.

BUT if the firm your family owns is in Tampa or St. Pete, go to stetson and work at the firm part-time. And if you do well, think about MAYBE transferring to Miami or FSU.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:36 pm

mez06 wrote:In what state does your family own a firm?

My answer might change but I would to UNH over stetson. Stetson will allow you to get the degree done quicker, their strong in your interests career wise, and it's not like stetson has a name of any sort in Florida.

BUT if the firm your family owns is in Tampa or St. Pete, go to stetson and work at the firm part-time. And if you do well, think about MAYBE transferring to Miami or FSU.

I think this is credited.

UNH has a robust IP program and a patent prosecution clinic, which would be looked on favorably by employers, but you already have a job lined up so you don't really need to impress employers. Your situation is different and, so, what matters is different.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:03 pm

androstan wrote:UNH has a robust IP program and a patent prosecution clinic, which would be looked on favorably by employers,

Not really, for a few reasons.

1. The bulk of firm hiring happens before 1L year before you have a chance to specialize.
2. When you do get a chance to specialize, you may only be able to take a few specialty classes. You're gonna want to take a lot of the core stuff (Ex. Evidence, corporations)
3. Specialty rankings are based in large part on faculty quality, since they're derived from a survey. Unless you could possibly take advantage of a famous faculty's connections somewhere, the value the "specialty" is meaningless, especially considering that law school doesn't really teach you how to do anything.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:13 pm

rad law wrote:
androstan wrote:UNH has a robust IP program and a patent prosecution clinic, which would be looked on favorably by employers,

Not really, for a few reasons.

1. The bulk of firm hiring happens before 1L year before you have a chance to specialize.
2. When you do get a chance to specialize, you may only be able to take a few specialty classes. You're gonna want to take a lot of the core stuff (Ex. Evidence, corporations)
3. Specialty rankings are based in large part on faculty quality, since they're derived from a survey. Unless you could possibly take advantage of a famous faculty's connections somewhere, the value the "specialty" is meaningless, especially considering that law school doesn't really teach you how to do anything.

Why would a dedicated IP/patent attorney-to-be take a bunch of nonspecialty classes?

In talking with attorneys in the area in/around UNH, some that went to UNH and some that didn't, I get the impression that the school definitely has name-recognition amongst IP/patent firms.

I don't care about the USNWR specialty ranking per se, I care that UNH has name recognition in IP and a lot of potentially relevant coursework in addition to notable, accomplished faculty in IP.

I think geography and debt should be the primary considerations in this decision, though.

elegally

Postby elegally » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks everyone. My parents own a firm in Atlanta- so Stetson has a geographical and financial advantage. I am just wondering if UNH could offer enough recognition in the IP field to be advantageous in the future. Our law firm is mainly geared towards bankruptcy and tax law- and my interest in IP law comes from some experience I have in registering trademarks for my own businesses, as well as helping friends- both national and international- research and register trademarks for their own companies. So, I do have hands on experience in IP law- but would an education from UNH be worth the extra $ and geographic inconvenience, or would my own experience in the field mean anything to employers?

Also- in case you are wondering why I am concerned about employers if I have a guaranteed job- I am wanting to get 2-3 years of experience with a large firm before I go into the family business so I can use it to expand our own practice areas and for networking purposes as well.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:34 pm

elegally wrote:Also- in case you are wondering why I am concerned about employers if I have a guaranteed job- I am wanting to get 2-3 years of experience with a large firm before I go into the family business

I dunno if that's gonna happen here, dude.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am

elegally wrote:Thanks everyone. My parents own a firm in Atlanta- so Stetson has a geographical and financial advantage. I am just wondering if UNH could offer enough recognition in the IP field to be advantageous in the future. Our law firm is mainly geared towards bankruptcy and tax law- and my interest in IP law comes from some experience I have in registering trademarks for my own businesses, as well as helping friends- both national and international- research and register trademarks for their own companies. So, I do have hands on experience in IP law- but would an education from UNH be worth the extra $ and geographic inconvenience, or would my own experience in the field mean anything to employers?

Also- in case you are wondering why I am concerned about employers if I have a guaranteed job- I am wanting to get 2-3 years of experience with a large firm before I go into the family business so I can use it to expand our own practice areas and for networking purposes as well.

Stetson has no pull in Atlanta.

If you want to work at a large firm you need to retake the LSAT and go somewhere better.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:11 am

androstan wrote:Why would a dedicated IP/patent attorney-to-be take a bunch of nonspecialty classes?

Can you not see why you would need Evidence? Lulz. You will end up taking less, but you're still gonna have to take quite a few core classes. I'm guessing you're not in law school.

Even then, the specialties won't help you actually secure firm employment in all likelihood, because hiring happens at the beginning of 2L.

Aaaaand the classes with well known profs. probably won't help you that much, if at all, in practice, because law school doesn't really teach you anything.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 am

What about GSU or better yet John Marshall. Most of the kids with bad lsats I know who have a firm job waiting in ATL at daddy or mommy's just go to John Marshall.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

rad law wrote:
androstan wrote:Why would a dedicated IP/patent attorney-to-be take a bunch of nonspecialty classes?

Can you not see why you would need Evidence? Lulz.

But you said law school doesn't teach you anything anyway.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am

androstan wrote:
rad law wrote:

Can you not see why you would need Evidence? Lulz.

But you said law school doesn't teach you anything anyway.

You're right, bit of an exaggeration. Won't teach you much that may help you later on. Like yeah, I know what a contract is, but in an actual case, I'd be on Westlaw panicking. Pretty much every new associate I've talked to has had this experience. Doesn't mean you don't still have to take it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”