Berk v. UT ($), UF ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rbarcelo9

Re: Berk v. UT ($), UF ($)

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the firms that attended each schools OCI? (bump)

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:45 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
brose wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:
brose wrote:are you sure you're getting scholly at UT? I thought the cutoff was 168.

something about a scholarship letter was mentioned during my call...but in short no im not sure

Oh just saw you're URM... there's some with similar stats to you that got around 30k from TX.

$30k at TX would be HUGE! I don't think I would be able to turn that down. Does TX have grade stipulations on their scholarships?

no

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:45 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Does anyone know where I could find a list of the firms that attended each schools OCI? (bump)

you can play around with nalpdirectory.com

mst

Postby mst » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Thanks for the replies! However, they have not made it any easier to make a decision. If Berkeley is struggling, I'm even more scared now, because that is the best school I have gotten into.

It's just the Cali market in general. It's also possible that Boalts recent setbacks have been due in some part to a lot of self-selection to a hurt market. Either way, 200k to attend a t14 with no intention of working in biglaw or public interest with LRAP (there isn't really biglaw in FL) sounds kind of stupid. It has nothing to do with being meant to scare you. Going to a t14 at sticker with the intention of landing a job you could land from UF on scholly makes no sense. That's an insane amount of debt for a 50-80k job, especially if you could most likely get the same job from UF. You're scaring yourself by already limiting your career choices, thus ruling out good schools from the start because they are priced for students who want high-paying jobs, not florida law...

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I have met lawyers in FL that practice "big law" $125k plus. Of course its not $160k like other places, but $125k at age 26 is perfectly fine with me (shit anything over $95k is fine with me). After briefly looking through the NALP directory, I found 14 FL (not all Miami) employers that attend Berkeley OCI. I have never seen this site, nor do I know how reliable it is, but from the looks of it there are FL employers that travel out to Cali to find associates. Granted these opportunities are limited and selective considering these firms also travel to other schools, but I feel like it can't get THAT much better than Berkeley for me to strike out at all these firms. I'm not Miami or bust either. I'm not going to take on $200k in loans and then go suck it up in Miami. IF I make the decision to go to Berkeley I will do everything I can to find a competitive job in FL, but if nothing even compares then I'd be willing to live almost anywhere except NY.

EDIT: That's what comforts me about a school like Berkeley. If I strike out in one state my degree travels well enough to take me other places. Whereas if I strike out with a UF JD, I'm screwed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:25 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:EDIT: That's what comforts me about a school like Berkeley. If I strike out in one state my degree travels well enough to take me other places. Whereas if I strike out with a UF JD, I'm screwed.

How far it travels will depend also on your grades and ties, not just prestige. Keep that in mind. And you only have ties to FL. You'll open up Cali if you go to Berk and TX if you go to UT.

ITE, opening up TX is a good idea.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 pm

rad law wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:EDIT: That's what comforts me about a school like Berkeley. If I strike out in one state my degree travels well enough to take me other places. Whereas if I strike out with a UF JD, I'm screwed.

How far it travels will depend also on your grades and ties, not just prestige. Keep that in mind. And you only have ties to FL. You'll open up Cali if you go to Berk and TX if you go to UT.

Am I wrong in assuming a Berkeley JD will travel more than a UT JD? I hate law school already and I haven't even started. lol

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Am I wrong in assuming a Berkeley JD will travel more than a UT JD? I hate law school already and I haven't even started. lol

It will "give you more travel" perhaps, but it depends on how good your grades are (hard to know now) and how insular the market is. Berk had got good name brand recognition, but that may not be enough to really let you travel if you have middling grades and want to target a more insular market.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm

As a FL native that spent UG in CA, I am enjoying TT. I'm still not quite sure of the B/UT desires when you KNOW you want to be in FL and not necessarily practicing biglaw...

Ohai radlaw, haven't seen you in a while. Nice tar :wink:

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 pm

krad wrote:As a FL native that spent UG in CA, I am enjoying TT. I'm still not quite sure of the B/UT desires when you KNOW you want to be in FL and not necessarily practicing biglaw...

TT? Is this tier 2?

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Haha no no, TT stands for 'this thread'. Hardly TT :)

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:46 pm

oh got it lol All these abbreviations are killing me!

EDIT: Are you suggesting I stay in FL (UF)?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:48 pm

krad wrote:As a FL native that spent UG in CA, I am enjoying TT. I'm still not quite sure of the B/UT desires when you KNOW you want to be in FL and not necessarily practicing biglaw...

How have you been??!? Sorry I missed your picwhoring in the megathread. Heard it was awesome. If you recall, I was the one badgering you to post in the first place.

How's life?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:48 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:oh got it lol All these abbreviations are killing me!

Stay out of FL.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 pm

rad law wrote:

Stay out of FL.

I got that from you already rad, and trust me I really don't want to go to UF.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Stay out of FL.

I got that from you already rad, and trust me I really don't want to go to UF.

Stay out of FL for legal employment I mean. Or at least have a good backup market.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Looks like GULC does pretty well in FL...thoughts? Of course I haven't gotten in yet, but if I did would GULC (sticker) > Boalt (sticker)?

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:55 pm

rad law wrote: How have you been??!? Sorry I missed your picwhoring in the megathread. Heard it was awesome. If you recall, I was the one badgering you to post in the first place.

How's life?

<3 sorry you missed it! What a thread that was... hahaha. Life is grand! Anxiously awaiting more admissions decisions... bleh. In other news, I think I've fallen in love with your LS (if you are where I think you are).

rbarcelo9 wrote: I got that from you already rad, and trust me I really don't want to go to UF.

Dude then don't go to UF!!!! You have SUCH better options. I'd take B in a heartbeat or the $ at UT (Austin ROCKS). I think you could take either of those, just go into it knowing that you have no guarantee of making it back to FL, but you could have a chance! I know that's probably not the most sound advice, haha, but honestly, you could be in a lot worse of a bind :)

Did you apply to UVA, Duke, or Vandy?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:01 pm

rad law wrote:

Stay out of FL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yggQ3HbO0Wg

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Looks like GULC does pretty well in FL...thoughts? Of course I haven't gotten in yet, but if I did would GULC (sticker) > Boalt (sticker)?

Somewhere in between UF and GULC/Boalt for money.

GULC also doesn't really open up a market. DC's pretty open.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:05 pm

krad wrote:
rad law wrote: How have you been??!? Sorry I missed your picwhoring in the megathread. Heard it was awesome. If you recall, I was the one badgering you to post in the first place.

How's life?

<3 sorry you missed it! What a thread that was... hahaha. Life is grand! Anxiously awaiting more admissions decisions... bleh. In other news, I think I've fallen in love with your LS (if you are where I think you are).

I am where you think I am. You trying to visit? Have you heard back. It really is a great place here. I love it.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Yeah. Rejected from UVA today :( still awaiting replies from the other 2

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm

krad wrote:

How's life?

PS I also like how our avatars sorta go together.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Yeah. Rejected from UVA today :( still awaiting replies from the other 2

Ah then you could still be in at Duke or Vandy, which I'd think might have more potential for FL? Disclaimer: I have a little bit of an obsession with Vandy, it's one of my topfavdreamchoices.

rad law wrote:PS I also like how our avatars sorta go together.

Haha yeah I love how Schop decided on that. E: PM'd ya.

mst

Postby mst » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah cross your fingers for D, or Vandy with $.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”