Berk v. UT ($), UF ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mst

Silver

Re: Berk v. UT ($), UF ($)

Post by mst » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:42 pm

adude wrote:I'm not sure about the florida market right now. In my personal experience, it is better to go to the lower-ranked regional school with $$ if you want to practice there. I am at a regional school and it opened up a lot of doors for me, since there are a lot of alumni in the area who are willing to help if you reach out. Still, your market may be worse off than mine is. Good luck.
It's not great. A lot of people from UF are not doing very well, and those that are doing OK are not scoring major salaries. Honestly there is just no comparison for me between a school like Chicago and a school like UF.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:44 pm

mst wrote:
adude wrote:I'm not sure about the florida market right now. In my personal experience, it is better to go to the lower-ranked regional school with $$ if you want to practice there. I am at a regional school and it opened up a lot of doors for me, since there are a lot of alumni in the area who are willing to help if you reach out. Still, your market may be worse off than mine is. Good luck.
It's not great. A lot of people from UF are not doing very well, and those that are doing OK are not scoring major salaries. Honestly there is just no comparison for me between a school like Chicago and a school like UF.
Yeah I'm with MST on this one...even if it means living in Chicago after graduation, I'll be fine with that. I just rather play it save and have a degree that can find me work somewhere. Even if that somewhere is in Chicago or NY. Honestly, if a UChicago grad with South Florida ties can't secure employment in South Florida, I don't think a UF grad would either.

EDIT: I've read a couple times on TLS to go to a school where you will be happy finishing at or below median. At or below median at UF = no job. At or below median at UChicago = very good chance I'll have a job.

canes

Bronze

Post by canes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 pm

+1 for Cuban guys trying to make it back to Miami

Congrats though, seems like we're having the exact same cycle and dealing with the same circumstances. (Minus one of us going to a UG with a football program with more rings :wink: )

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

canes wrote:+1 for Cuban guys trying to make it back to Miami

Congrats though, seems like we're having the exact same cycle and dealing with the same circumstances. (Minus one of us going to a UG with a football program with more rings :wink: )
Where are you leaning towards? It would be awesome if we both ended up at Chicago!

canes

Bronze

Post by canes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:

Where are you leaning towards? It would be awesome if we both ended up at Chicago!
I'm leaning all the way towards Chicago... Columbia/NYU could make it interesting, but even then, it's still looking like Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 pm

canes wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:

I'm leaning all the way towards Chicago... Columbia/NYU could make it interesting, but even then, it's still looking like Chicago.
That's awesome man! Are you going to the ASW?

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Does Emory with $25k a year change anything? Still thinking Chicago personally.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:55 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:Does Emory with $25k a year change anything? Still thinking Chicago personally.
Absolutely, positively not. Why is this even a question? lol

Unless you are sure you want to work in the SE, are okay with being unemployed, and get them to go full-tuition or something similar.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Vandy just came through with a $20k offer... also got $10k from Georgetown. I think my heart is so set on Chi at sticker though....should I be considering the Vandy or Georgetown offers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Sorry to derail this thread a little bit, but since these schools have been mentioned already, what's the perspective on berk (potentially/probably at sticker) v. 84k at vandy with no geographic preference? Are uf/fsu at full ride completely out of the question here?

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:03 am

Based on what I've heard UF/FSU should be out of the question. Their scholarships have grade stipulations and while you shouldn't go into law school thinking you'll be below median, you don't want to mess up one semester and be stuck paying sticker at either one of these schools. I think the Vandy deal is hard to turn down considering how expensive Berk OOS is, and while you have no geographic preference, Vandy can still place well regionally and has shown some national pull. I'd say the only thing that would make Berk a better option is 1) You absolutely positively want BigLaw (which even then Vandy can do probably just as well) 2) You are certain you want to work in California.

However I can understand wanting to go to a higher ranked school because I myself am being a huge prestige whore by considering turning down scholarship offers to pay sticker at Chicago.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:Vandy just came through with a $20k offer... also got $10k from Georgetown. I think my heart is so set on Chi at sticker though....should I be considering the Vandy or Georgetown offers?
Nah, stick with chicago. Debt+job is better than funemployment/fighting for the top 1/3 forever. And it's a school you love.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am

clone22 wrote:Sorry to derail this thread a little bit, but since these schools have been mentioned already, what's the perspective on berk (potentially/probably at sticker) v. 84k at vandy with no geographic preference? Are uf/fsu at full ride completely out of the question here?
Need more than that to help. Where do you want to practice? What kind of stuff are you looking at? Willingness to take on debt? Have any savings/support or will you go full on 200k for loans? How much do you want your dream markets?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”