Drexel $$$ vs. T30 vs. mid-tier $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fuzzypeach

Drexel $$$ vs. T30 vs. mid-tier $$

Postby fuzzypeach » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am

Drexel has given me an almost full-tuition offer. Anyone else out there getting these? Plenty of people are telling me they give tons of money out. Also, I would say the having little debt upon graduation will be pretty awesome but I've also heard that going to a provisionally accredited school is a bad idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or where Drexel may eventually fall in the rankings? Their LSAT/GPA incoming class profiles are higher than a lot of schools on the Top 100.

I guess this comes down to a "Is it better to have no debt or go to a big name school?"

Veyron

Re: Drexel $$$ vs. T30 vs. mid-tier $$

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 pm

fuzzypeach wrote:Drexel has given me an almost full-tuition offer. Anyone else out there getting these? Plenty of people are telling me they give tons of money out. Also, I would say the having little debt upon graduation will be pretty awesome but I've also heard that going to a provisionally accredited school is a bad idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or where Drexel may eventually fall in the rankings? Their LSAT/GPA incoming class profiles are higher than a lot of schools on the Top 100.

I guess this comes down to a "Is it better to have no debt or go to a big name school?"

Neither is a big name school. Since you are going to have to network your way into a job from either school, take Drexel - at least you won't get debt pwnd.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Where would you like to work post graduation?

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
fuzzypeach wrote:Drexel has given me an almost full-tuition offer. Anyone else out there getting these? Plenty of people are telling me they give tons of money out. Also, I would say the having little debt upon graduation will be pretty awesome but I've also heard that going to a provisionally accredited school is a bad idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or where Drexel may eventually fall in the rankings? Their LSAT/GPA incoming class profiles are higher than a lot of schools on the Top 100.

Neither is a big name school. Since you are going to have to network your way into a job from either school, take Drexel - at least you won't get debt pwnd.

I usually agree wit dis but considering Drexel's location in Philly I vote against it because getting a job might be harder than you think. UPenn, Temple, Rutgers... if I were debt weary and willing to work in Philly/ Jersey, i would take Temple in-state tuition or even Rutgers before Drexel. Drexel has no network comparable to the other schools in Philly, that could make finding a job a huge pain in the ass.

If you don't want to live and work in Philly/Jersey dont go to Drexel period.

fuzzypeach

Postby fuzzypeach » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, definitely making me think!

Post graduation is sort of complicated because my boyfriend is in the military. He currently has 7 years to go to med school where ever he wants to and then he will have 7 years of assignments.

Philly is a place I would like to be due to my interest in juvenile justice. I really should talk to someone about how competitive the internships are with the PD office and juvenile organizations.

California would be ideal since there are so many opportunities there and my boyfriend will likely be stationed there at some point.

Buuuuuttttt....right now my offer is in Philly and anything more than about $50,000 of debt is kind of terrifying since I am bringing along previous student loan debt.

Then again even a small amount of debt is bad if it holds no value.

Wow, pretty sure the buts and ifs and thens and whats and maybes could go on forever!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:15 pm

What other law schools are you considering ? Have you been accepted to other law schools besides San Francisco & Drexel ? I agree with the above poster who wrote that Temple is a better option for job placement.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 pm

How much did Drexel offer you?

Also... you'd still have to pay for cost of living, right?

Snape

Postby Snape » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:52 pm

This may be harsh but oh well....Philly will be extremely difficult to tap into unless you are in top 5%ish of your class...and even then...it will be no easy task. And why juvenile justice with a Drexel law degree. There are millions of things you can do with kids and juveniles in Philly without wasting three more years in school--if you want to help kids in Philly--there is absolutely no need to get a Drexel law degree---I would say you need to really think about if it is worth it for you to go to law school and what you really want.

fuzzypeach

Postby fuzzypeach » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am

Since Drexel and Temple are both regional schools, is anyone in Colorado or California PD office more likely to recognize Temple over Drexel? Also, what about in 10 years? Is the Temple low cost of tuition going to turn it into a powerhouse? Will the great faculty and facilities at Drexel give it a good standing in the rankings once accredited? I had personally never heard of Temple until I started researching law schools. Obviously they would know UPenn but even if I were to get in(whigh is highly unlikely) I couldn't justify paying 120k in tuition. Still waiting to hear from Villanova, I don't think they will give me enough money to justify going there either. I might pretend to go there though on Basketball game nights!

The JD degree is because I can't practice law without it, well, I can't take the bar in most states without it(I guess I could just study for the bar in CA and try to pass it but I'm smart enough to know that I am not smart enough to do that!). I already work with juveniles through mentoring and family support organizations. I'd like to be able to offer some legal advice and representation. It is something that is desperately needed! The feel that I've gotten through the people I work with is that experience will most likely trump education but if I can't get a job, experience will not happen!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 pm

fuzzypeach wrote:Since Drexel and Temple are both regional schools, is anyone in Colorado or California PD office more likely to recognize Temple over Drexel? Also, what about in 10 years? Is the Temple low cost of tuition going to turn it into a powerhouse? Will the great faculty and facilities at Drexel give it a good standing in the rankings once accredited? I had personally never heard of Temple until I started researching law schools. Obviously they would know UPenn but even if I were to get in(whigh is highly unlikely) I couldn't justify paying 120k in tuition. Still waiting to hear from Villanova, I don't think they will give me enough money to justify going there either. I might pretend to go there though on Basketball game nights!

The JD degree is because I can't practice law without it, well, I can't take the bar in most states without it(I guess I could just study for the bar in CA and try to pass it but I'm smart enough to know that I am not smart enough to do that!). I already work with juveniles through mentoring and family support organizations. I'd like to be able to offer some legal advice and representation. It is something that is desperately needed! The feel that I've gotten through the people I work with is that experience will most likely trump education but if I can't get a job, experience will not happen!

Neither school is strong enough to get you a job w/o a great personal network (absent top 5% as others have noted). If you move around a lot, its difficult to see how you would develop that.

fuzzypeach

Postby fuzzypeach » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Veryon, are you saying that it doesn't matter? Temple and Drexel are equally low enough that neither will help me land a job? Are they equally unknown in Philly or the west coast? Or both? Should I just move into a van down by the river?

I don't doubt my ability to network, I'm sure everyone thinks that though!

Really if I end up in Philly I just want to be able to get some solid internships, get a few years of good work experience, and then be able to count on some recommendations for the future.

In conclusion, if Temple and Drexel are equally bad, this makes my decision pretty easy!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:07 pm

fuzzypeach wrote:Veryon, are you saying that it doesn't matter? Temple and Drexel are equally low enough that neither will help me land a job? Are they equally unknown in Philly or the west coast? Or both? Should I just move into a van down by the river?

I don't doubt my ability to network, I'm sure everyone thinks that though!

Really if I end up in Philly I just want to be able to get some solid internships, get a few years of good work experience, and then be able to count on some recommendations for the future.

In conclusion, if Temple and Drexel are equally bad, this makes my decision pretty easy!

I think that Temple has an edge for PI IN PHILADELPHIA. On the west coast they are both equally unknown. When I talk about developing a network, I don't mean what you think I mean. You develop a network by working in a community for a long period of time, sending your kids to school there, keeping in touch with your high school classmates, old teachers, professors, former clients, friends, relatives, etc. Its not something you do over night. Say you get a PI job in Philly (big assumption with the flooded market) and when you are ready to move in three years you get great recommendations. Then you move to San Diego. The PI orgs there don't know shit about your previous employer and don't care. They are going to hire the kid they know personally or had recommended to them by someone they know personally unless that you have a great school + grades package.

fuzzypeach

Postby fuzzypeach » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Veyron, thanks for clarifying. I assume that is what you meant the first time but it never hurts to ask.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 pm

fuzzypeach wrote:Veyron, thanks for clarifying. I assume that is what you meant the first time but it never hurts to ask.

NPBM

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Which T30?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:46 am

My advice
1. Read the NYT article on law schools. If you still want to go to law school go to the next step:
2. Retake. If you don't want to retake....

3. Go to the best school that you got into that semi dominates it s market. You might ask why choose a T30 at sticker over a mid tier school or Drexel. At drexel your biglaw chances are almost zero. Yes they might have stats like a t100 school, but "prestige" isn't built overnight. It takes a lot of time to build prestige. Just take a look at Washu. Ranked high, but doesn't yet have the prestige or recruiting of a school ranked 19. Also, having the "prestige" of being in the top 100 is worthless. There are way too many lawyers in the us. Having a big or successful alumni group is really important in terms of hiring

At Drexel, you might be getting a full ride or close to it, but it will still cost you prob 50k-70 in living expenses. At the mid tier closer to 100-120. Full sticker at a t30 prob 200k.

If you get federal loans, you are only on the hook for 20 years. I think 10 years if you are working for a non profit. Even if you graduate from drexel, you will likely not have a job and hence no way to pay back that 50k. The only way you would be able to pay back the 120k or 200k worth of loans is if you get a biglaw/midlaw or big gov job. The t30 will give you the highest chance to get biglaw. Otherwise, for the most part, you are screwed and will have to wait 20 years.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 pm

thexfactor wrote:My advice
1. Read the NYT article on law schools. If you still want to go to law school go to the next step:

3. Go to the best school that you got into that semi dominates it s market. You might ask why choose a T30 at sticker over a mid tier school or Drexel. At drexel your biglaw chances are almost zero. Yes they might have stats like a t100 school, but "prestige" isn't built overnight. It takes a lot of time to build prestige. Just take a look at Washu. Ranked high, but doesn't yet have the prestige or recruiting of a school ranked 19. Also, having the "prestige" of being in the top 100 is worthless. There are way too many lawyers in the us. Having a big or successful alumni group is really important in terms of hiring

At Drexel, you might be getting a full ride or close to it, but it will still cost you prob 50k-70 in living expenses. At the mid tier closer to 100-120. Full sticker at a t30 prob 200k.

If you get federal loans, you are only on the hook for 20 years. I think 10 years if you are working for a non profit. Even if you graduate from drexel, you will likely not have a job and hence no way to pay back that 50k. The only way you would be able to pay back the 120k or 200k worth of loans is if you get a biglaw/midlaw or big gov job. The t30 will give you the highest chance to get biglaw. Otherwise, for the most part, you are screwed and will have to wait 20 years.

Did you really just advise someone to take 200k in debt at a t30?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Did you really just advise someone to take 200k in debt at a t30?

Kinda. I first advised him not go to to law school. Then to retake. Think about it. The new fed gov plan limits your student debt to 20 years or 10 years if you open a non profit. Chances are he wouldnt be able to pay back the loans within that time period anyways if he goes to drexel. The fed government wipes your slate clean whether you have 10 dollars in debt or 500k in debt.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I would not go to Drexel Law. Assuming most Penn grads leave Philly, Temple, Nova, and Rutgers dominate the region. Honestly, Widener might even be a better option than Drexel at this stage of Drexel's law school career.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 pm

There is NO T-30 that dominates the Philly market. Penn dominates the market and Temple is the next best school for PI which is what OP wants to do.

T-30 is a meaningless distinction.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Temple does quite well in Philly.

Penn students greatly inflate its dominance.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm

kk19131 wrote:Temple does quite well in Philly I don't know about quite well overall (e.g. firms) but many PI employers would rather take a highly ranked student from Temple than a median student at Penn.

Penn students greatly inflate its dominance. One of us has access to OCI data, the other doesn't., I wonder which one of us is correct?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:31 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I would not go to Drexel Law. Assuming most Penn grads leave Philly, Temple, Nova, and Rutgers dominate the region. Honestly, Widener might even be a better option than Drexel at this stage of Drexel's law school career.

For whatever reason, a lot of firms love Widener in the tri-state area. I had a full ride at Drexel but went to Nova at sticker. After fall grades, I'm happy with my decision.

FWIW, I'm also living at home so I pay nothing for rent and nothing for food. Just the occasional 100$ bar tab.
Last edited by beach_terror on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:34 pm

kk19131 wrote:Temple does quite well in Philly.

This is at least half true. Just the other day a Temple friend of mine said the Penn grad that interviewed him said she specifically seeks out Temple grads and NOT Penn kids because they are socially retarded.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Temple does quite well in Philly.

This is at least half true. Just the other day a Temple friend of mine said the Penn grad that interviewed him said she specifically seeks out Temple grads and NOT Penn kids because they are socially retarded.

While the above is probably half true, I've heard that a lot of Philly employers don't take Penn kids unless they have some tie to the city. They have a reputation for taking the prestigious jobs then pzing to NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”