Rutgers vs. SHU (35K scholly)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NJYankee6

Rutgers vs. SHU (35K scholly)

Postby NJYankee6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 am

10K w no stipulations/ 25K contingent on remaining in top 50% of class vs. in-state tuition at Rutgers/Newark.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

HeavenWood

Re: Rutgers vs. SHU (35K scholly)

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:36 pm

NJYankee6 wrote:10K w no stipulations/ 25K contingent on remaining in top 50% of class vs. in-state tuition at Rutgers/Newark.

Go with whichever's cheaper.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm having the same debate. I got $35k/year for SHU (must stay in top 50%), and $8k/year for RU-N, plus in-state tuition (stay above a 3.0).

So, when you consider all those things, it's actually $5k cheaper per year for me to go to SHU, even though RU-N would be in-state.

I'm totally torn though. I want to work in NYC, and I feel that RU-N has a strong alumni network and a more recognizable name than SHU. However, they're really not THAT different, and SHU would be cheaper. However, it's hard to ignore all the negative comments about SHU on here. It seems like no one has anything positive to say...

Anyway, I was thinking of creating the same thread. I'll be really interested in what others have to say.

Which way are you leaning?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 pm

JennBNYC wrote:I'm having the same debate. I got $35k/year for SHU (must stay in top 50%), and $8k/year for RU-N, plus in-state tuition (stay above a 3.0).

So, when you consider all those things, it's actually $5k cheaper per year for me to go to SHU, even though RU-N would be in-state.

I'm totally torn though. I want to work in NYC, and I feel that RU-N has a strong alumni network and a more recognizable name than SHU. However, they're really not THAT different, and SHU would be cheaper. However, it's hard to ignore all the negative comments about SHU on here. It seems like no one has anything positive to say...

Anyway, I was thinking of creating the same thread. I'll be really interested in what others have to say.

Don't count on NYC from either.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm not counting on NYC from either, but that would be my ultimate goal. Ideally, I'd kick ass at either and try to transfer to Fordham or NYU (currently on the WL at Fordham), but I'm not naive.

So far, I'm in at SHU, RU-N, GWU, Villanova, and waiting on others. I know RU-N and SHU aren't top, top schools, but they're probably my best for NYC, so far.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm

JennBNYC wrote:I'm not counting on NYC from either, but that would be my ultimate goal. Ideally, I'd kick ass at either and try to transfer to Fordham or NYU (currently on the WL at Fordham), but I'm not naive.

So far, I'm in at SHU, RU-N, GWU, Villanova, and waiting on others. I know RU-N and SHU aren't top, top schools, but they're probably my best for NYC, so far.

You're much better off retaking and reapplying than banking on a transfer.

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 pm

JennBNYC wrote:I'm having the same debate. I got $35k/year for SHU (must stay in top 50%), and $8k/year for RU-N, plus in-state tuition (stay above a 3.0).

I think a lot of the negative comments about SHU are because of its cost when compared to RU-N with in state tuition. If you have a scholly for $35k a year for SHU it becomes a much more attractive option.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:57 pm

HeavenWood wrote:You're much better off retaking and reapplying than banking on a transfer.

I've already taken it twice and my 162 is actually much higher than my first score. I know I could take it again, but at this point I don't know if I have it in me, plus that would mean waiting another year. I'm not banking on transferring, it's just a thought.

NJYankee6

Postby NJYankee6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
NJYankee6 wrote:10K w no stipulations/ 25K contingent on remaining in top 50% of class vs. in-state tuition at Rutgers/Newark.

Go with whichever's cheaper.

Thanks Wood. Leaning towards SHU for this reason. Still haven't heard anything from Fordham or SJU yet. Only one I would attend w/o $$ would be Fordham.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Paulzilla wrote:I think a lot of the negative comments about SHU are because of its cost when compared to RU-N with in state tuition. If you have a scholly for $35k a year for SHU it becomes a much more attractive option.

Yea, that brings it down to about $10k/year, which is manageable. The only scary thing is, if I drop below the top 50% for w/e reason, then the tuition is much harder to swing than that of RU-N.

Okay, sorry to completely hijack this thread!

NJYankee6

Postby NJYankee6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Congrats Jenn! I am leaning towards SHU right now b/c of the $$. My home is close enough (about 15 min drive) where I wouldn't have to pay for rent, which is a plus. Did Nova offer you any $$? Did you get a chance to attend the admitted students day at Rutgers last week? I couldn't make it.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 pm

NJYankee6 wrote:Congrats Jenn! I am leaning towards SHU right now b/c of the $$. My home is close enough (about 15 min drive) where I wouldn't have to pay for rent, which is a plus. Did Nova offer you any $$? Did you get a chance to attend the admitted students day at Rutgers last week? I couldn't make it.

Thanks! Congrats to you, too :-).

I have a feeling I'm going to be debating this up until the last minute, lol.

I don't think I got anything from Nova, which is a bit disconcerting. I had higher numbers than others who got substantial amounts, so I'm a little frustrated by that. There was nothing in my acceptance envelope about merit money, so I emailed them about 2 days ago, but haven't heard anything yet. I definitely won't be going there withouth money...

And yup, I made it to the ASD. It was pretty interesting. It was nice because it was very structured, so I got exposed to a lot of helpful info without wasting much time. We all sat in on Con Law classes, deans spoke about the curriculum, there was a student q&a, and a woman from financial aid answered questions. There were probably 40-50 people there maybe? It was hard to read the vibe though. There weren't a lot of students walking around, and I didn't really get to see people mingling before/after class. I'm planning on going to the SHU open house, too, so it will be interesting to compare.

NJYankee6

Postby NJYankee6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
NJYankee6 wrote:Congrats Jenn! I am leaning towards SHU right now b/c of the $$. My home is close enough (about 15 min drive) where I wouldn't have to pay for rent, which is a plus. Did Nova offer you any $$? Did you get a chance to attend the admitted students day at Rutgers last week? I couldn't make it.

Thanks! Congrats to you, too :-).

I have a feeling I'm going to be debating this up until the last minute, lol.

I don't think I got anything from Nova, which is a bit disconcerting. I had higher numbers than others who got substantial amounts, so I'm a little frustrated by that. There was nothing in my acceptance envelope about merit money, so I emailed them about 2 days ago, but haven't heard anything yet. I definitely won't be going there withouth money...

And yup, I made it to the ASD. It was pretty interesting. It was nice because it was very structured, so I got exposed to a lot of helpful info without wasting much time. We all sat in on Con Law classes, deans spoke about the curriculum, there was a student q&a, and a woman from financial aid answered questions. There were probably 40-50 people there maybe? It was hard to read the vibe though. There weren't a lot of students walking around, and I didn't really get to see people mingling before/after class. I'm planning on going to the SHU open house, too, so it will be interesting to compare.

Yeah, I am hoping to find time in the next few weeks to visit Rutgers and pop into Dean Walton's office to get a few questions answered.

I'm leaning towards attending the March admitted students day at SHU. Hope that it is as structured as Rutgers visiting students day.

I am waiting to hear back from St. John's, which is "my Nova". Without $$, won't even consider it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”