Trying to choose a city...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What Should I Do? or maybe Where Should I Live?

New York City
30%
Washington DC
17%
Chicago
24%
LA
19%
Other - Specify
10%

Total votes: 70

krad

Re: Trying to choose a city...

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

justhockey31 wrote:It's looking like DC is falling behind...any reason in particular? I have heard some ppl talk about what a tough market it was but I would think it would have quite a large legal field...

DC = ridic competitive legal market

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Here is why you should choose Chicago:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2474458011

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm

You need to pick a market you know you will be comfortable in. I would pick the one closest to home/where your family lives because you are least likely going to regret it. Law school is professional school. It is not like college, and it is not an excuse to "get away". You aren't just going to live in this place for 1-2 years then move; think of this as a market you are going to be in FOREVER and then decide where you will be happy (and I would say for most people, this would be "home").

The only reason to pick a "random" city would be if you can get into a national law school, and even then there is like an 80% chance you end up in NYC because that is where most of the legal jobs are.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:46 pm

keg411 wrote:You need to pick a market you know you will be comfortable in. I would pick the one closest to home/where your family lives because you are least likely going to regret it. Law school is professional school. It is not like college, and it is not an excuse to "get away". You aren't just going to live in this place for 1-2 years then move; think of this as a market you are going to be in FOREVER and then decide where you will be happy (and I would say for most people, this would be "home").

The only reason to pick a "random" city would be if you can get into a national law school, and even then there is like an 80% chance you end up in NYC because that is where most of the legal jobs are.

That is why this has been such a tough choice for me...it kind of hit me last night while I was trying to sleep that this was not just a few year move but a permanent thing (though I always knew this is it sort of just really sank in)

As far as my family goes...my immediate family is in upstate NY but I have family members all over (NYC, DC, Chicago, NC, etc)

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Curry wrote:It should not take 2 hours to travel 9 miles via public transportation.

I am aware with the issues of Los Angeles, hence why I initially said it wasn't typical "city" like the ones you would prefer. Do I wish LA had a better transportation system? Yes. Is there a large investment being made into improving the rail system in LA? Yes. Do I hope it happens faster (which it may with Villaraigosa's 30/10 plan)? Also yes. It is for all these reasons that LA is currently a predominantly a driving city, for better or worse.

Beyond all that, I don't see how your comment has any bearing on any of the attributes I pointed out regarding LA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”