(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan with $ v. sticker at Berkeley or NYU?

Michigan with $
51%
Berkeley (sticker)
14%
NYU (sticker)
35%

Total votes: 159

Re: Michigan with $ v. sticker at Berkeley or NYU?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Michigan isn't offering 45K to lure you away from T6, or $$ at T14. They are trying to lure you away from a lower T13 at sticker.

Michigan's location is a big detriment to it's yield. It's in a small college town. It's cold. It's in the midwest.

People on TLS undervalue the location of law school and over value small differences in prestige. It's why Gtown has a higher LSAT median.

I think merit aid is pretty crazy. Tuition should be lowered. But whatever. People make the choice to attend.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Michigan isn't offering 45K to lure you away from T6, or $$ at T14. They are trying to lure you away from a lower T13 at sticker.

Michigan's location is a big detriment to it's yield. It's in a small college town. It's cold. It's in the midwest.

People on TLS undervalue the location of law school and over value small differences in prestige. It's why Gtown has a higher LSAT median.

I think merit aid is pretty crazy. Tuition should be lowered. But whatever. People make the choice to attend.

They are not offering the $45k to people who will be looking at sticker at lower T13. I agree with what you say, but Michigan needs to re-evaluate their Dean Scholarship formula for 2011.

I will send my 90k to Michigan and see what they say. Let's see if negotiation happens in practice.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Michigan isn't offering 45K to lure you away from T6, or $$ at T14. They are trying to lure you away from a lower T13 at sticker.

They are not offering the $45k to people who will be looking at sticker at lower T13. I agree with what you say, but Michigan needs to re-evaluate their Dean Scholarship formula for 2011.

I will send my 90k to Michigan and see what they say. Let's see if negotiation happens in practice.

I've seen a couple people whose best admission is Michigan and they still get 45K. Though they aren't going to pay money to someone with borderline number, that you are right.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm

I feel bad for Michigan. It's not getting any TLS support.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think Michigan is overestimating the lure of 45k to applicants who get 75-90k at Duke and UVa.

Yeah, and doesn't Michigan say something like "we don't negotiate" on their financial aid packages? I remembering reading that somewhere when I got my scholly letter from Michigan.

In practice, it does negotiate financial aid packages.

I suspected as much. Thanks for confirming. :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm

Miracle wrote:I feel bad for Michigan. It's not getting any TLS support.

We like Michigan, we don't like Michigan financial aid.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Is that all?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Miracle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Is that all?

That's all for me. Others may have more issues.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Miracle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Is that all?

That's all for me. Others may have more issues.

LOL. I love Michigan. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Miracle wrote:LOL. I love Michigan. :wink:

I have friends that feel the same way. I am convinced that it is a wonderful place, and once you attend you will love it for life. However, since they are not giving me as much money, I may not have the chance. It's a paradox I tell you. :wink:

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I've seen a couple people whose best admission is Michigan and they still get 45K. Though they aren't going to pay money to someone with borderline number, that you are right.

I actually like mich's fin aid. My best admission is mich and I got 54k. They did lure me away from ED'ing at Penn, UVA or NYU though with their predictable merit money. Glad to not have to pay sticker at a peer school.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
I actually like mich's fin aid. My best admission is mich and I got 54k. They did lure me away from ED'ing at Penn, UVA or NYU though with their predictable merit money. Glad to not have to pay sticker at a peer school.

So it works great for you, but not quite for me. Like I said, they should revise their formula/strategy and direct the offers more effectively.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

So it works great for you, but not quite for me. Like I said, they should revise their formula/strategy and direct the offers more effectively.

Ha, they can do whatever they want after next year, including boosting my scholarship for shits and giggles.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:38 pm

I would go to NYU. I also think top 30% at NYU gets more in NYC than top 30% at Michigan, but that's my opinion.

At the end of the day, it depends on how much the money is worth it to you. If Michigan gave a half scholarship, Michigan would be the clear choice. 45k wouldn't do it for me, though.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 pm

I didn't read through, but how much $ from Michigan? Are you CA resident? It's even better to add the total amt of debt to each school in the poll.

Edit: I voted for NYU.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:06 am

reversejinx wrote:So not to dredge this back up, but the poll seems to conclusively indicate that Michigan with $ > NYU at sticker? Is that more or less the consensus? (Again, I'm looking at biglaw in either NYC or Cali, and possibly an Art. III first for 1-2 years.)

Hypothetically, given these goals, if I were to graduate at top 30% of my class at Michigan vs. top 30% at NYU, where would I have the advantage?

This poll doesn't conclusively indicate anything. It's a bunch of 0L's who don't know shit about either law school. All else equal NYU is the better pick in almost all circumstances, but at 45k you've basically leveraged away any risk you take by going to Mich. If you want PI I would suggest NYU over 45 at mich. If you want corporate and would pay all the money in the world to get it, nyu over mich at 45. If you're a reasonably debt-averse person and have nothing against Ann Arbor, Mich at 45. If you like NYC a ton and hate Michigan and don't mind paying 45k+COL for it, then NYU. The point of this is to say that at these numbers the choices are about even, and it's totally on your personal preferences. Nobody can tell you what would be better.

And to answer your question: You'd be OK with top 30 at either school but personally I'd throw my cards at NYU all else being equal, especially if you're OK with biglaw in NYC.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”